It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did chemical companies pay off the gov?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Does anyone rember a few years ago, the Spice Girls were all the rage, Futurama started its first season, and the chemical deet was found to cause heath problems and birth defects. Now, if you have the misfortune of watching television, you'll notice ads telling you that you had better use a insect repellant containing deet or else you'll get the dreaded WEST NILE VIRUS. No mention is made of the harmful effects of deet. Coincidence or, payoff? You decide.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I think not many people might have the memory of health warnings of a few years back that you do.

To make sure you are absolutely mortified by the turnaround, be sure to visit

www.deet.com...

It's just dandy. Quotes like,

DEET is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and has proven to be the safest, most effective repellent for preventing vector-borne diseases...

and

Many parents feel uneasy about applying insect repellents on their children. The U.S. EPA has determined that when label instructions are followed, all concentrations of DEET repellents can be used by people of all ages.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This is probably of enough interest to be on a Forum like Science & Technology (medical) or Political Scandals, but I'm happy to chat about it even if I don't recall the DEET health warnings.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It seems to me that I remember that Deet was not supposed to be used on small children because of adverse effects. I take it that this has changed?
I think it had something to do with learning deficits or the like.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yes. I read an article in a magazine once about how chemical companies pay off Congress. I wish I could remember where I found it . . .

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I think not many people might have the memory of health warnings of a few years back that you do.

To make sure you are absolutely mortified by the turnaround, be sure to visit

www.deet.com...

It's just dandy. Quotes like,

DEET is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and has proven to be the safest, most effective repellent for preventing vector-borne diseases...

and

Many parents feel uneasy about applying insect repellents on their children. The U.S. EPA has determined that when label instructions are followed, all concentrations of DEET repellents can be used by people of all ages.

Great site, why don't more people remember that deet used to be bad for you? I just don't think I'll ever understand.
Here's another great quote from the site. This is disgusting abuse of the media.
"A very small percentage of children and adults may be sensitive to chemicals such as DEET. If there is a suspected reaction to an insect repellent, wash the area and seek medical attention."

[Edited on 28-9-2003 by NotTooHappy]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Researchers can't even decide whether stuff we ingest in massive amounts is good for you (food) much less trace chemicals.

If you're old enough, you've heard nutritional researchers reverse themselves over and over again.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If you're old enough, you've heard nutritional researchers reverse themselves over and over again.

Yep...this isn't the first, nor the last such reversal...and yes, sometimes the only cause is aggressive lobbying and marketing....

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Neat, heres a little more info:
"The U.S. Military supplies soldiers with 33% or less DEET products; and DEET is suspected of being responsible, in part, for Gulf War Syndrome."

www.quantumhealth.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprized if deet did cause "Gulf War Syndrome". That stuff is bad news. Nobody should use it.

join