It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

coincidences with extraordinary odds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
A good example of the kind of coincidence I mean was the time I got hit on the leg with a baseball. It left a round bruise just like times it has happened. This one time though, my brother and I were walking home from the movies, and we climbed a tree to see over the outfield fence to find out the score of a baseball game. It was the bottom of the ninth, and one of us said wouldn't it be neat if he hit it right to us. and then he did, and the game was over. It hit me on the leg because my Brother was in front of me and could see it coming, the outfielder didn't, he had lost it in the lights and was backing up to our left and that's where I was looking for it, above him. He ducked out of the way and it hit me. And the game was over, and we had not been in the tree five minutes.

I was reading a mountaineering book by Joe Simpson, and was about half way through when I volunteered to man a booth at an anti-apec summit conference. Our booth was promoting a free East Timor.
The free Tibet booth next to us had a visit from a tibetan Buddhist monk. I got to meet him. That night I read two pages further in my book, and there he was. His name is Palden Gyatzo or something like that.
What are the odds that he would be in Vancouver Canada, right beside me, and then the same day I would turn the page and see him in the book I was reading?

I used to work with a fellow who's wife died of lung cancer, though she was a nurse who never smoked.
After she passed on, he raised their two daughters as a single dad. It was about a year from her
diagnosis until she was gone. Around a month before she passed on she told him that she was going to
send him some kind of a sign. He is a very honest, family-oriented, devout Catholic, and I honestly cannot
see him lying about something this serious. Then, from her hospital bed a week before she passed on,
she told him she knew what the sign would be....lightning.
I have only been to one funeral in my life, and it was scheduled for 1 P.M., one Saturday, at a local Catholic
Church. As we arrived it was pouring rain out, really hard, the sky was completely filled by very thick, very
low overcast clouds, and it made midday as dark as if it was dusk. We sat down, got settled in, and then
boom, thunder, and the lights in the church went out for a couple of minutes. My friend told me that when
the thunder struck, he immediately looked at his watch and, by coincidence, it was 1 o'clock on the dot.
After the funeral was over we came out to find there wasn't a cloud in the sky; I looked in every direction.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hmm... not tyring to discredit what ur saying, but I'm always a little skeptical about mind-numbing odds. For example (and going off on a bit of a tangent), the arguement that the chances of life evolving on this planet are so fantastically small that some higher being must've played a role in it. Well, if 60 million people enter the lottery, the person that wins will think that the odds are so slim that someone must be looking down on them. never mind the other 59.999999 million that didn't win...

Sometimes things happen that are so fantastically small from a probablility prespective that they seem like some paranormal phenonenom is at work. Using ur example, there may be countless times when a deceased one says theyll give a sign, but nothing happens. However, the time that by sheer chance alone it does happen, it'd be easy to conclude that the deceased really *has* given a sign...

...but, saying this, I do believe in paranormal phenonenom, but I just wanted to play devils advocate for the sake of arguement. I just feel that its sometimes hard to diffrenciate between odds and genuine paranormal phenonenom at times.

Interesting read though

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The fact that my friends wife told him that lightning would be the sign, and that at 1PM, the time her funeral was to start, lightning struck right at the church it was held, is a coincidence with odds I cannot fathom, but I agree, it could be just a coincidence. I know what my friend and I feel happened, and we are not in the vast majority of opinion.
Last fall, I hopped into my work van to go have lunch, and glanced at the odometer to see how many more miles I could go before needing to fill up.
The main odometer read 577 777 kilometers, & 77.7 kilometers was what the trip odometer was at. That is 8 sevens in a row. I thought it was cool.
I don't know what to think about coincidences, but I have seen so many, the subject intrigues me.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

, the arguement that the chances of life evolving on this planet are so fantastically small that some higher being must've played a role in it.

of course, if life didnt evolve we wouldnt be here talking about it (devils advocate styles).

great topic. interesting links:
en.wikipedia.org...
www.crystalinks.com... (its crystalinks, so its a bit out-there...you've been warned!)
www.eadon.com...

A recent study within the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab has suggested that there is a small though statistically measurable link between human thought and patterns that occur in random data sets. There is no evidence as to whether this is caused by individuals unintentionally recognizing complex patterns and then moulding their thoughts towards an unconsciously known result or the thoughts of the individual are themselves affecting the random patterns in a manner of individuation. This study's results have not been replicated, and its methodologies are disputed.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thank you!

I'm glad I came on here. Theres no such thing as coincidences! Only when I go too far and have to pull back do I stop and restablish the, ''oh, that was just a coincidence'' type thinking.

I could list the exteme examples of 'coincidences' that I've been through some I've already posted but I'll run through them quickly.

1. My brother went through a really bad time. He was hearing voices and seeing things after deciding to go veggie and beliving too much of what David Icke puts out. I did warn him, but before he flipped out and ended up in hospital he said he had a dream that had to do with the number 3. It representing myself, my mom and him. (can't be bothered to describe the dream) My mom had a similar dream and i guess I would have done too but I don't sleep (the cause of a lot of my experiences I think). He flipped out at 3:33am. And for a good week after a very troubled time I would always notice that particular time on my clock. 3:33. He nearly died that day and as he did I went through (near enough) EVERYTHING he did. A huge energy surging through my hands, really big, I couldn't pick up anything it was so bad, reading off of everyone in the room.

2. I might post a topic about this. Does anyone have a correlation with the TV at times? This happens quite a bit with me and my dad notices it so much that when we argue he'd not watch tv with me in the room. Sometimes a program would be on and something would act out that explains exactly what is going on in the room or in family matters at that time.

Me and my dad were arguing and rather than go out and get drunk I went into the sitting room and sat with him just to heat things up and be cheeky
As I sat down the movie actor says,

''Thats the best thing to do in times of war, sit there and say nothing.''

Other times;

Talking to my bro and I said something just after the actor on screen said the same thing. I laughed and said,

''weird innit?, Its kinda like magic/k''

The actor then said,

''Funny isn't it? Its like magic''

Theres so many times, one last TV incident;

Again arguing with my dad (a common occourance) watching a comedy channel, paramount, The comedian goes off into one about being middle aged and hating youngsters,

''i love telling them what to do, its like I get some weird energy off it''

Of course we were having the age old argument about him not having to flipping tell me to do things like some kid.

3. Thinking of an event and it happening down to a 'T'. My gypsy experience, I went through it in another topic.

4. Joking around with friends as a kid talking abuot scars and where we'd want them if we had the choise.... I got them that night, near enough where I'd wanted. Damn things, got to go doctors soon to have them checked out.

THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES!

I've only mentioned a few things and as you can tell from my last one I live IN some odd coincidence world at times. I belive it can be used to precog and can only say that its;

Symbiosis; A close, prolonged association between two or more different organisms of different species that may, but does not necessarily, benefit each member.

With a connection to Empathy. It'll drive you mad if you connect and aren't ready for it and I think skisophrenics and other mental 'disorders' are related to it.... Kinda like having someone sleep in your bed while you're away, most don't notice but you pick up on their energy/thoughts as they sync up with your residue energy.

I could go on but I really don't like getting all personal on the net, I'm a humble man

[edit on 28-12-2005 by An Entity]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A roommate I had had the same b'day as my dad, and mine was same as his mom's, his sisters was the day after my brothers. My fiance was very seriously hurt one day less than 11 years after the day my mom died, their b'day's are 3 days apart, and their names are almost identical. My last partners ex had the same first and last name as my middle and last name.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I suppose you could say that all things happen for a reason but coincidences are simply coincidences. I have some what a gift of intuition and people call me psycic, but I will predict things and they will come true. For example I was standing in a circle with my friends by another group that was playing football when I feel that I should move or I'll get hit by a football, and a "vision" of the ball hitting where I was standing flashed in my head. So I looked around the football people were nowhere near me but I move anyways and the football lands exactly where I was standing just like my "vision".
I've also predicted relationships happening when those people didn't even think about eachother as anything more than friends. Other stuff too but I can't name them all.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by An Entity

Now I'm prepared to believe that precognition exists and even that there are those that control it to some extent but its credibility is seriously undermined by the vast number of coincidences that all too frequently are passed off, either knowingly or otherwise, as some thing more interesting.

There certainly are coincidences.

Look at it this way. There are around 6.5 billion people on this planet all interacting with trillions of things and events as well as each other. Put simply, there is one hell of a lot of stuff going on out there. This is true to the extent that not only are extreme coincidences possible or even likely, they are actually inevitable. The only thing you need is a news gathering medium which is effective enough to pick some of them up and the internet is exactly that medium.

However, if you talk rationally about things which you cannot have knowledge of then that is not coincidence - that is very interesting. My mother is an interesting person like that.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test

Originally posted by An Entity

Now I'm prepared to believe that precognition exists and even that there are those that control it to some extent but its credibility is seriously undermined by the vast number of coincidences that all too frequently are passed off, either knowingly or otherwise, as some thing more interesting.

There certainly are coincidences.

Look at it this way. There are around 6.5 billion people on this planet all interacting with trillions of things and events as well as each other. Put simply, there is one hell of a lot of stuff going on out there. This is true to the extent that not only are extreme coincidences possible or even likely, they are actually inevitable. The only thing you need is a news gathering medium which is effective enough to pick some of them up and the internet is exactly that medium.

However, if you talk rationally about things which you cannot have knowledge of then that is not coincidence - that is very interesting. My mother is an interesting person like that.

I agree to a point, but I still find myself astonished at what the odds must be of having things like happened to me are, which I've posted above. They must be astronomical. And then the people like your mom, some of whom I have met, and witnessed describe things they just shouldn't have known about, they are a puzzle. I have not even posted my most bizarre ones, which I know many would doubt anyway. I bet many doubt the ones I did post happened just as I claim, but they did.

top topics

join