It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The other side of the WOT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
As with every war there has been a damage control aspect - attempts made by all sides to either downplay or glorify certain aspects of the war to justify their stance. An important part of this is propaganda - in the form of imagery, words, and actions taken. I wanted to ask the ATS community to focus more on the imagery aspect of the propaganda campaign for the global war on terrorism.

I'll try my best to supply images from both sides of the arguement, Im doing this because I was mainly interested to see if anyone else has noticed the escalation of these pictures as the war began to deliver more and more bad news.

Do you feel these images have any real impact on the war and the soldiers, or is it a fruitless attempt by both sides to either support or shoot down the war and it's reasons?

Against the war/Anti-Bush:

Pro-Bush/For the War

Im interested in seeing what the general consensus is on images like these. If you find some you feel do a better job of demonstrating either side I invite you to post them, and I'll admit, finding the Pro-Bush/For the War stuff was mighty difficult, though theres no end to the Anti-Bush Anti-War.

Perhaps that in itself means something? Looking forward to your responses/opinions!

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Moved to PTS

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
No thoughts? I feel propaganda has an important effect on the outcome and on both the political and military stage, looking for more opinions

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I don't think these images influence adults too much because once you reach a certain age it takes more than propaganda to sway your opinions. Most of our views are already formed. What pictures, ads, speeches, and the like can do is basically offer information/disinformation that bolsters our stance and support of a viewpoint. Images like these are still very important for both sides even if they don't change a mind, they tend to keep the issues heated and opposition's hostility fresh.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
But there is much more at stake here than the opinions of the adult populations. If you want to win over a nation, you win over their youth. What better way than to present them with cartoons and silly little things they're so used to, all the while delivering your message.

I agree with you however, in that it more often than not - depending on the situation - will take much more than a cartoon to sawy the opinions of an educated adult. But I don't think that's the target of propaganda in most cases. They go for the uneducated, the youth, and those with weak wills.

top topics

join