It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Jesus's sake, it's not Crossmas!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Here's the problem: People abbreviating the word "Christmas" with "Xmas." Not only is this taking Christ out of the name, but it's grammatically incorrect! The letter X is generally used as a substitute for the word "Cross." Animal X-ing is a good example of the word replacement associated with the letter X. So how did "Christmas" suddenly become "Crossmas"!? Was there some corporate suit that one day came to a wrong conclusion, or am I simply missing out on something?

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I believe that it is because the X generally means 'criss-cross'. Maybe it was a small leap. I noticed there are people here who cannot write God. They prefer G_d, perhaps they also dont like to write Christ, hence the X.

Then again, it could just be sheer laziness.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Christmas is abbreviated as Xmas because Roman Catholic monks used the Greek character chi, which is tansliterated as an X, as an abbreviation of Christ. You may have seen the letter chi (X) and rho (P) superimposed over one another as a symbol of Christianity. Using Xmas as an abbreviation is not taking Christ out of Christmas in reality, but many may feel that way. The abbreviation is not considered formal usage and is only correct informally and commercially where the space precludes the use of the longer version.

Jews who are careful not to take the Lord's name in vain write the God as G_D. It is a sign of respect, not of laziness or disrespect.

en.wikipedia.org...

Google Search

[edit on 2005/12/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
...I noticed there are people here who cannot write God. They prefer G_d...

I noticed that, too. Why do people do that?

[edit on 22-12-2005 by xeroxed88]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Thanks Grady.
. If only more people knew that...

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Oh for X sake, its just a word, no harm is done, it hasnt destroyed the christmas/xmas spirit, no one is going to hell for it, now lets not have a debate over whether hell exists (even though it obviously does not), LEAVE CHRISTMAS ALONE,

This reminds me of when you americans had that lawsuit over a manger scene as it had religious values that offend the public. WELL OF COURSE IT DID. ITS THE MANGER SCENE. CHRONICLING THE START OF THE NEW TESTAMENT I THINK.

ah well. The way religion is inevitably circling the drain i imagine that in 100 years or so when everyone realises that science is the only salvation then everyone shall naturally call it Xmas......

EDIT: GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD *BLOWS RASBERRYS!* its just a word guys come on. backwards it spells Dog so whats so different. (yes i know it represents something else but seriously)

[edit on 23-12-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
people type g_d as a sign of respect; to not use his name in vain.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
But.......why? It just sounds like they fear the. but whatever, im really not that fussed. To each thereown. Say what you like.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Actually, XMas is a holiday in the future. Robot Santa comes and kills everybody dumb enough to be outside/not lock and barracade their doors tight enough.

'Tis the season.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Heehee i love futurama. BUT I CANT BLEEVE THEY CANCELLED IT! DAMN NETWORKS! THEY CANCEL ALL THEYRE GOOD SHOWS AND KEEP THE CRAP ONES!!!!
:bnghd:
:shk:

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
Oh for X sake, its just a word, no harm is done, it hasnt destroyed the christmas/xmas spirit, no one is going to hell for it, now lets not have a debate over whether hell exists (even though it obviously does not), LEAVE CHRISTMAS ALONE,

This reminds me of when you americans had that lawsuit over a manger scene as it had religious values that offend the public. WELL OF COURSE IT DID. ITS THE MANGER SCENE. CHRONICLING THE START OF THE NEW TESTAMENT I THINK.

ah well. The way religion is inevitably circling the drain i imagine that in 100 years or so when everyone realises that science is the only salvation then everyone shall naturally call it Xmas......

EDIT: GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD *BLOWS RASBERRYS!* its just a word guys come on. backwards it spells Dog so whats so different. (yes i know it represents something else but seriously)

[edit on 23-12-2005 by Shadow88]

You completely misread my post. My problem didn't have anything to do with semantics; it was about the grammatical incorrectness of it all. Grady already corrected me on that point, though.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Where in the Bible does it say celebrate Christmas?

Worship the sun. The original bringer of life.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In that case worship the meteorite that was the catalyst for life, worship the first bacteria, worship the sky, oxygen, the soil in the ground, anything and everything.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I don't get the whole G_d thing. God isn't "his" name anyway. It's Yeweh, or Jehovah, or Jealous, or Mithra, or El (more accurately Al). Taking the "o" out of God when refering to God is like taking the "o" out of Jesus when refering to him as the "savi_r". It's just a representation of the name, not the name itself

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
DAFT DAFT DAFT DAFT DAFT DAFT DAFT

top topics

join