It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss Hospital to Allow Assisted Suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) - A Swiss hospital has agreed to let an assisted-suicide organization help terminally ill patients take their own lives on its premises.

A spokesman for the Vaud University Hospital Center confirmed reports in Swiss newspapers Saturday that, starting in January, it would let the Exit society assist in the suicide of people already admitted to the hospital who can no longer go home.

www.lasvegassun.com...

For many this is a sensitive subject. It doesn't matter if it is a group or one person who is assisting in the suicide, for most they would think its against the law.

I myself think that if you have an elderly person who has seen many things and can no longer live with the pain, then yes I think assisting them would be helpful. I know of a few people who wouldn't agree with me, but it is my opinion. I also have a family member who works in a rest home for the elderly and you can't help but wonder how they could live being medicated by their doctors and ignored by their family members.

If there was an option in North Carolina of 1)being heavily medicated by your doctor and being ignored by your family or 2) having someone help you to end that lonely existance. I would certainly take option #2.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I agree with your sentiments of aiding those who can no longer help themselves/bear the pain of their situation, but what frightens me is how far certain individuals may take this.

What's to keep them from starting to label people for this sort of euthanasia based on their medical circumstances

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conquistadork

What's to keep them from starting to label people for this sort of euthanasia based on their medical circumstances

Euthanasia is when a doctor gives you the "shot" of Phenobarbital. The Swiss do not allow Euthanasia. They do however allow assisted suicide. The two Swiss charities that help people are called Dignitas and EXIT. Assisted suicide is when the patient administers the fatal dose him or herself.
This new "law" allows Dignitas and EXIT to help people who are terminally ill to end their lives in the hospital.

Assisted suicide has been legal in Switzerland since 1932.

D ( Swiss American dual citizen)

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Do you think that would ever happen here in such a religiously charged nation?

I think that would make for an interesting debate!

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Personally, I think assisted suicide should only be allowed if the patient or his power of attorney. Pushes the phenobarbital injection.

quote- "If there was an option in North Carolina of 1)being heavily medicated by your doctor and being ignored by your family or 2) having someone help you to end that lonely existence. I would certainly take option #2."

Please -Social services, Religious, or other types of human services Must be used. Before pulling the plug.

Also there is many other possible reasons for depression then "lack of family". Some for exp. Are over medicated, others depressed from Chronic diseases. Some feel hopeless, Since society "has left them".

Such simple Changes like:

Decreasing medications, Training staff loved ones how to deal with Chronic disease's. Making a activity that Older people can take a part in. Like wood working, crafts, garden, story telling, etc. Can Help alleviate the stressors of depression.

Then If All avenue's have Failed. Then and only then, Should I think Assisted suicide should be allowed. As the subject of last resort.

To be honest, I fear "elective suicide" to become as common as "Elective abortions". If we make Death desirable over other aspects of living. And once its done, Its permanent.

top topics

join