It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Liberals Propose Canadian Handgun Ban

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx I'm fairly glad that there's balanced reporting on the Global site.

The other network websites are making Martin look good over the handgun ban?

Please don't tell me Canada is becoming polarized over news channels like what has happened in the states.

I was watching the CBC last night and they had shown the details of Martins plan, including the compensation amount.

There is already a ban on unregistered handguns. This new ban idea won’t do anything. The criminals shooting each other in Toronto are not registering their guns. Placing a ban isn't going to stop the violence it wont even slow it down.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
"when guns are illegal, only criminals will have them"

i think this kind of sucks as a marketing campaign because as dues ex and this anti-gun slogan point out, CRIMINALS STILL HAVE GUNS in spite of any ban.

and, also, i have seen police act criminally MANY times. they think they are above the law(and for all intensive purposes, they are).

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Idiot Liberals. That is all I have to say about this atm.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You can say that again sardion2000.

If there were any voters undecided on voting Liberal or Conservative the handgun proposal has just settled it for them.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Besides the handgun ban (joke) the liberals have also put aside funding for 75 more border patrol guards. I can't imagine who would want this job, as the only protection these guards have is there flashlights and batons. They are not allowed to carry firearms. I think with the ban our border patrols are going to explode in violence.

Our Justice Minister Irwin Cotler said back in the summer while gun violence was exploding all around us, that when confronted with the situation replied" Canada has some of the toughest gun laws on record " and he didn't feel that mandatory sentences for gun offences was neccessary. One of our latest stories- youth gets arrested with illegal gun in connection with a crime, gets bail, 3 weeks later out on bail, gets another illegal weapon and this time kills someone. Because this has not been happening in our more affluent neighborhoods these people have become nameless and faceless to our government. They only care now for their own selfserving needs.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Border patrol my ass. Look at the customs incident during the summer. A fair amount of unarmed customs officers simply refused to do they duties because they know that if someone's intent on getting guns into the country, shooting a lone custom guard isn't going to be that big of a deal.

Let's put it in perspective- a crappy gun costs 100-200$ in the states.

A crappy gun sells for 1500$+ in toronto on the streets.

Do you think that a whole seventy five unarmed guards are going to stop the bikers and smugglers bringing the guns into the country? Or what about the cross-border reserves, where the police are too scared, unable to stop these smugglers, or actually on the payroll. No customs there, plenty of poverty, and their own police forces. Makes it easy.

Spending 345 million$ to persecute law-abiding gun owners is the wrong idea. Hell, 345 million isn't even enough to secure the border.

DE

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I dont understand this Move Canada for its size and amount of guns has a really low gun crime rate. Why the sudden urge to ban a type of weapon flat out? Man if they took away all the guns In Canada (banning all handguns is a good step in that direction) I wouldnt be suprised to see American criminals crossing the border to commit crimes.

No chance of a armed victims
Prisons that are like the Hilton compared to most US ones
No death penalty

What more can a criminal ask for

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If they tighten up controls at the border, it will only cause the smugglers to use the same methods as smuggling tobacco into Canada...across rivers at night. From Vancouver to Lake Superior, anyone can just walk across wherever there aren't any roads...it's a porous border and the guns are just going to keep coming.

Mike Harris, the premier of Ontario, when asked what books he read, responded "Mr Silly"

Now I know he was just reading up on Paul Martin.

mr Silly.

OK...that was weird...pretend I actually managed to edit this into my previous post, if it had gotten posted and then imagine me writing the post you see as an additional edit. Yeah, that works.

[edit on 9-12-2005 by masqua]

[edit on 9-12-2005 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Prisons that are like the Hilton compared to most US ones

That's only Min. Security. The Jail just round the corner from me was rated by CNN as one of the most decrepid jails in N. America. Youth Prisons I hear are even worse, not because of conditions but because of the number of young punks looking to make a name for themselves by any means necessary. I could go on and on but that would ruin your misconception. It's in the sentancing department where we are sometimes weak (allthough I would never support a death penalty as I truely believe a lifetime of no-freedom to be worse then death as I see that as an escape of a sorts) Minimum sentancing for gun crimes should be at the top of the Liberals promises to make as well as better border controls but noooo. They got to take the perceptually easy way out(to create the perception they are anti-gun violence and it's worked slightly as some of my friends actually think it's a good idea)

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It depends, but yeah, there's a lot of Club Federy at the provincial and minimum security levels. And since the Criminal Justice System does it damndest to keep everyone out of jail for the longest time possible...yeah, bad times.

DE

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I see this as Martin out stumping his campaign nothing more, well that and take the guns away from the people to make it easer to take the people away next.
I don't owner a gun I don't need one but if I did I would get one easy enough a couple of phone calls and Bobs your uncle.I came across this article below that goes to show how much a bad idea banning guns really is.

Snip

For Those Who Think Gun Control Is A Good Idea...Sheriff Michael E. Cook

We all know that those in power who would take our guns from us have no interest in our protection; however, we do know that they want to rule us. History has shown over and over that those who would take our firearms will try to take over the government,

Once they take firearms from the honest citizen, then you will become prey to the criminals, and it will get so bad that you will give up more and more rights in order to have the government take control and get rid of the criminals.

Just by way of example, let me give you some information from Police Chief Ed Chenel from Australia. 12 month's after the honest citizens of Australia were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms.

In the first year homicides are up 3.2 percent,

assaults up 8.6 percent,

robberies are up 44 percent in all of Australia

homicides with firearms are up 300 percent.In the state of Victoria alone.

This is a drastic swing in crime trends, as the previous 25 years in Australia showed a steady decrease in crime rate.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join