It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Busy 2006 hurricane season seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Looks like it will unfortuantely be another busy year next year. But thank God not as intense as 2005.

money.cnn.com...

LONDON (Reuters) - The United States and Caribbean, which are still trying to rebuild from this year's devastating storms, should brace themselves for another busy hurricane season in 2006, a leading windstorm forecaster has warned.

"Despite the forecast for another active hurricane season in 2006, the chance of seeing as many as five intense hurricanes in the Gulf (as happened in 2005) is extremely remote," said Professor Mark Saunders, TSR's lead scientist.

I hope their prediction for a less intense season holds up. But I feel theymay be wrong.

Apparently 9 hurricanes are forecast.

www.cnn.com... Gray of Colorado State University predicted 17 named storms in 2006, almost double the long-term average, and said nine of them could become hurricanes -- five of them major hurricanes, with winds of at least 111 mph.

Gray's research team estimated there is an 81 percent chance that at least one major hurricane would strike the U.S. coast.

[edit on 7-12-2005 by valkeryie]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Ugh.

My dad lives in Florida and we have a timeshare on the eastern seaboard of Florida that got romped over twice this year. And I have friends in New Orleans.

I'm not surprised at the prediction, because I do think we're seeing a long-term warming climate trend. In reading various scientific papers, I was surprised to find out that when the climate gets warm, hurricanes strengthen and become more frequent. The Cretaceous was apparently a period of numerous strong hurricanes -- stronger than today's storms.

This is not good news for the Hurricane Belt.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
There has been no revision to the NHC 2006 hurricane forecast. They are predicting 17 named storms, 9 of which will become hurricanes, out of which 5 will be major hurricanes and there's an 81% chance of one those hitting the USA.

Colorado State issues updated 2006 hurricane forecast

Fore casters see busy hurricane season

Just a tip to anyone living in hurricane areas, now is the time to start buying those emergency supplies you didn't have last year, like the gas stove, gas containers, etc... the stores are well stocked at this time. However if you live in Florida I do believe we're going to have tax break week for hurricane supplies in May sometime.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation is still in it's warm phase - meaning warmer than average waters in the main hurricane spawning grounds. And there's still no sign of an El Nino to increase shear and reduce the chances of 'canes forming. So really all the odds are in favour of another active season....

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
While I hope we won't, I think we will have another recording breaking Atlantic hurricane season. My caribbean people need to be wary this year and everybody else, now is the time to assess, plan and prepare. The government has basically told us, it's up to us to take care of ourselves, so just do it.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Here is the official name list for 2006

2006 Hurricane Names

Alberto
Beryl
Chris
Debby
Ernesto
Florence
Gordon
Helene
Isaac
Joyce
Kirk
Leslie
Michael
Nadine
Oscar
Patty
Rafael
Sandy
Tony
Valerie
William

geography.about.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Also 5 names have been retired from the list.

The names Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Stan and Wilma will never grace a hurricane again, according to a committee of the World Meteorological Organization, which retires storm names out of sensitivity to the victims, and for historical, scientific and legal purposes as well.

www.cnn.com...

Replacement names are now Don, Katia, Rina, Sean and Whitney.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
But thank God not as intense as 2005.

What are you talking about? I tought it was suppposed to be MORE intense then last year

new topics

top topics

join