It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-ray is dead. Long live T-ray.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr101Hazardous

Originally posted by sardion2000
We're getting closer and closer to Star-Trek like sensors. That's an unsettling prospect...

sardion2000, Why would this be unsettling to You? You don't seem to the the anti-technology type.

It's unsettling because it's all happening so fast it's hard to keep up with it all. I feel like i'm getting buried in a torrent of information at times that is all. Alot of the technologies we are developing can be very invasive and that does give me a little pause considering the political climate. Of course we've had technologies that can look through cloths for a while now but not to this degree of safety which might make it ubiquitous.

I worry what countires like China would do with this as well as the Criminal Element... I don't think it should be held back though moratoriums don't work as there will always be someone somewhere developing any type of tech that is possible.

Being Pro-Technology doesn't make me throw caution to the wind ya know

[edit on 4-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Umbrax

T-rays are way better that X-ray but they can't penetrate water and metals.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Umbrax
In several fields, the X-ray is being replaced with the new T-ray.
The terahertz ray can penetrate just below the skin where the X-ray can not see very well. The T-ray beats the X-ray on the nanometer scale it is also useful at large distances and can be used for national security and space programs.

www.sciencedaily.com

Scientists now using 'T-ray' imaging

A new technology called "T-ray" sensing and imaging is being used by scientists in several fields in place of X-rays.

The new technology -- terahertz ray spectroscopy imaging -- penetrates only a few millimeters beneath the skin, which is an area that X-rays cannot easily image.

T-rays are based on the terahertz region of the electromagnetic spectrum that is between infrared light and microwave radiation. A particular advantage of T-rays is they can also provide spectroscopic information about the composition of chemical and biological material, and are safer for biological applications than X-ray photons that emit a million times more energy.

T-ray procedures allow sensing of objects on the nanometer scale, as well as at large distances of more than 300 feet, an essential capability for areas such as national security and space programs.

The new technology was detailed during a recent biannual national meeting of the American Chemical Society in Washington.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Perhaps the best news about this is that T-rays emit less energy and are safer to use.

THz radiation(near infrared) is less ionizing than X-rays and thus less DNA damage.

Probably using similar tech to spy through people's walls/clothes/basements/bathrooms etc.

<< 1   >>

join