It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sukhoi SSBJ project to form the basis of China’s future strategic bomber(?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sukhoi SSBJ project to form the basis of China’s future strategic bomber(?)

Rumors are circulating of a deal between China and Sukhoi for the SSBJ Supersonic business jet to form the basis of china’s future strategic bomber (“H-x”?). I don’t know the original source so I’m viewing this as interesting but unreliable.

The SSBJ hasn’t even flown yet, so we are not talking immediate term. Sukhoi image of SSBJ proposal:

The SSBJ is probably smaller than the H-6 Badger which it is set to replace and Tu-22M Blackfire which was the popular candidate. But it is perhaps better to view this concept as a long ranged missile launch platform rather than conventional bomber. China is known to be developing LACMs in the Tomahawk mold.

The Su-32 Fullback was another popular choice and speculation is that the new design will borrow much of the Fullback’s avionics and weapons systems.

Funding is not clear.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The main question is this: Does China have a requirment for such a bomber?

Now if they are talking about using in the Backfire style going after USN CBG's I can see it, beyond that it may really just be for its 'show" value more than anything else. Lack of foreward basing and a dedicated tanker force precludes them from using it as part of say a nuclear triad. But in the supersonic cruise missile platform it may have an application.

But in that case, why not shell out the $$$ for Backfires rather than trying to convert an untested design?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
If this is true then I guess all those discussions between Sukhoi and Honeywell concerning development of the avionics suite for the SSBJ are as much as gurgling down the toilet....

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Well that would depend on the specifics of the situation. If it means China is going to be a full partner in SSBJ then yes, that’s obviously a conflict of interests. But if it just means Sukhoi assisting China by technology share/design assistance, then no.

www.scac.ru...

Prospective Basic Aircraft Performance:
Practical flight range over 9000 km, guaranteed for supersonic (up to M=1.8) as well as for high subsonic flight speed.
Stationing at the airports with the runway length of 1800 - 2000 m.
Passenger compartment dimensions coincide with those of long haul executive aircraft (such as Gulfstrem V).

More concept/model pics of SSBJ project:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It seems a curious choice, if indeed it is accurate, as the SSBJ will have no advantage over the Su-32 Fullback that I can gather. It is roughly the same size. Althought the SSBJ will be a lighter airframe than the Fullback any 'combatised' version will need strengthening and that would push the weight back up anyway. The Fullback is a fully combat stressed airframe , whereas the SSBJ is a transport plane designed to fly in straight lines. All very odd.

Like the indian consideration of buying and relaunching the Mirage 4000, the only possible plus point in this that I can think of is that it would be a unique aircraft that nobody else was flying, if that can be called a positive. For the sake of the West, the SSBJ might be the choice we want them to make for a new technology bomber?

top topics

join