It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you "normal"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This is a strange era. In this day and age, we have diagnosed and given labels to a myriad of behaviors that, at one time, were considered "normal" but are now considered disorders; for example, kids who dis-obeyed their parents once were considered kids who were rebellious but now they are often labeled as having "obsessive defiance disorder" (it seems it's just a matter of degree). So this raises the issue....are YOU normal?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
When I was young things, like you said, were much different:

Then: Disobeying parents - Now: Discipline Deficit Disorder

Then: Disobeying Teachers - Now: Classroom Unawareness Syndrome

Then: Eating Worms - Now: Edible Unawareness Disorder

Then: Hitting my sister - Now: Cronic Sibling anger manifestation syndrome

Then: Stealing gum from the store - Now: Underprivileged Possession Acquisition

So yeah...I am "normal"

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The clearest examples are cosmetic, cleaning and personal hygiene companies. They discovered long ago that the surest way to sell a product was to offer something that nobody else offered, then to, whenever necessary, create the market for that product. And it's not enough to only have one product-- one must offer as many different products to as many different people as possible.

Every newly defined mental illness is a new market for psychologists and psychiatrists to exploit. Every "abnormal" action or mood or way of life is simply their version of bad breath or body odor or ring around the collar-- just another problem from whose clutches their products will nominally free us.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

b]are YOU normal?

The voices in my head tell me I am

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
"obsessive defiance disorder"

You're kidding me, right? Surely that is not some newly approved 'syndrome?'
That's just nuts. Or nonsense. I can't decide which.

One Man~

Discipline Deficit Disorder
Classroom Unawareness Syndrome
Edible Unawareness Disorder
Cronic Sibling anger manifestation syndrome
Underprivileged Possession Acquisition

are these for real or did you improvise for the sake of making your point?

Geez. I used to be a nurse--for a little over 10 years. We were told in school that 'there is no such thing as normal.'

Now I see why they said that--not for the reason I thought I understood, but because they were in the process of eroding 'normal' away into nothing!

Another reason I do not even slightly regret 'retiring' from my previous health care 'career.'

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
In a serious sense, it could be argued that it's axiomatically impossible for any human, at least in western society, to be sane.

Sanity is measured relatively-- that is, one's sanity is measured in large part by how well one fits in with society. Anyone who diverges from society to too great a degree is "insane."

However, objectively, western society itself is arguably insane, so anyone who doesn't diverge in any great degree from societal norms is also insane.

In the end, it all depends on who's doing the defining...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
queenannie38

Thanks for the reply.

I just simply made those disorders up to make my point, but stay tuned in a few years I am quite sure the doctors will come up with similar ailments to justify bad behavor.

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The question should be " who is normal?"...or "what is normal?"

either way... i hope i'm not normal... normal sounds boring...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'm defenatly not normal...

I'm a very good athlete and smart enough to attend one of the best business schools in the world for higher education, and yet I am a fan of a lot of "alternative" things like my music and some video games.

On the surface, a lot of people would think I was a cookie cutter "cool" (whatever that means) person, and yet my personal intrests such as the military, politics, economics, conspiracy, and such would generally be associated with people who weren't "cool".

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
are YOU normal?

No, but I'm average. If I was a color, I'd be beige. Just an average schlub trying to support a family and make it through the day without making anything worse. Boring, huh?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I have a 15 year old who is not nearly as defiant as I was at that age. I expect it to pick up in the next couple of years, though.

Defiance is not a mental disorder, and it should be totally expected and thought of as normal.

Heck, hormones going absolutely ape, learning a whole bunch of stuff without having much experience but not having the wisdom to know that experience is important in putting the new knowledge to use.....

Any kid who isn't a bit defiant is the un-normal one, if you ask me!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Pfff! I'm normal...it's the rest of you people that are crazy.

*jumps and turns*

WHAT was that noise!?!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Good Lord I hope I'm not normal -- Personally I am shooting for eccentric. But that is because I had some great eccentric role models growing up and I want to grow up to be just like them (btw I'm 52 so I still have a ways to go
)

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I am not normal. Though I get bad grades in school, my IQ is in the 98th percentile. That means out of 100 kids, only one or two are smarter than me. Could have been aliens experimenting. My implant could have done it. I dunno. I tell you something though, I am very smart for a 14 year old. My mom got scared one time I was that smart. She wouldn't tell me my IQ so I went to a therapist, (not because of emotions type of therapist, school things like writing a letter in the alphabet in cursive, I can't do cursive for beans) She told me I had scored way above average in most things.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just got back from visiting my family with my husband (he had not met them all yet), he looked at me and said "now I know why you wished you had been raised by wolves". Are any of us normal? If I have to be like my family to be normal then I would much rather be "abnormal"

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I don't think anyone is really normal.

HOWEVER

If you've been around the web for awhile you can definately tell that there are some people who are a lot less normal than others.

top topics

join