It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Suggests Bush Use 'Fireside Chats'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Story

WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee on Sunday suggested that President Bush use an FDR-style presentation to update people on progress in the war in Iraq.

Sen. John Warner (news, bio, voting record), R-Va., recalled that during World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt often went on the radio in "fireside chats" to explain to the nation in detail the conduct of the war in Europe and Asia.

"I think it would be to Bush's advantage," said Warner, who served in the Navy during the war.

"It would bring him closer to the people, dispel some of this concern that understandably our people have, about the loss of life and limb, the enormous cost of this war to the American public," he said.

I dont think he's the type at all. His style is more pounding his shoe on the table, imho.

Could this possibly improve his image? The setting might be different, but the message would be err, the same.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
IMO from his past behaviour on such issues he has hardly ever shown sadness or any emotion sincerely. Maybe it's just his face, I don't know hell.
But I do think he's way beyond being brought close to anybody, well a few perhaps, but the majority ? nahhhh

I don't think he could pull it off even if he did mean it.

Just how I see it.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Maybe it's not such a bad idea, especially with Christmas coming.

Just imagine the scene. Georgie in his chunky wool sweater with the snowmen and reindeer on the front, sitting by the fireside telling us all how wonderfully things are going. Maybe pick up a guitar and sing us a Christmas carol or two, with Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice behind him as backing vocals

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Someone on TV had suggested using maps of Iraq to pinpoint the action. That would be helpful, also.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It wouldn't fly.

G.W. doesn't do a good job when speaking to the
'average' American. He comes across condensending.
He wouldn't sound sincere at fire-side or just about
anywhere else except giving a speech with FACTS.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
thats funny... george bush and facts...those two words should never appear together..the guy has lied about his enitre life!his failed oil business(bailed out by the bin laden family).. his ruining of the texas rangers baseball team..his corrupted two elections...his lie into the iraq war..his lie about 911 so on and so on..tell me why would a "fireside chat" make any difference..it would just be another forum for him to lie to us some more... As far as him being condencending..its quite hilarious that he's condencending yet at the asme time..this bafoon that attended both yale AND harvard can still barely speak english. we have enough lies and crap from bush already and my tax dollars should not go for him to have yet another forum to spread even more of his lies.

mod edit, profanity

[edit on 28-11-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   

He missed his calling

[edit on 28-11-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This thread could only bring out the cynic in me even more. My first thought was of Bush catching the place on fire. Then tipping a whiskey bottle, then "heh, heh, heh"

Yeah, I don't think it would work for him The sincerity would be.... missing.

"I think it would be to Bush's advantage," said Warner, who served in the Navy during the war.

"It would bring him closer to the people, dispel some of this concern that understandably our people have, about the loss of life and limb, the enormous cost of this war to the American public," he said.

You know, I know a lot of people don't believe this, but if we were there fighting an honorable war for a valid, legal reasons, I would not have a problem with the costs of war. That's not the complaint most people have these days. It's the war itself, the reasons we're there, the lies and deceit. No amount of fireside chat is going to help that situation. A bonfire wouldn't change that.

[edit on 28-11-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i fully understand, BH, i feel the same way. But since we are fighting just to fight and we unfortunately do not have a president who is presidential ( no rapoir, no dignity, slurring his words, not beleivable at all, i too would be afraid he breathed towards the fireplace and we would then definatedly have the "big fire" in the White House.

He is no Mr. Rogers. He cant pull it off. His background doesnt allow it.
He's low rent.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think the "fireside chats" is a good idea but, it is more than a little bit too late. He should have done something like this before the war in Iraq even started.

It's a little bit too late.

Majic's Political Easter Egg: Be the first to post the date of FDR's first fireside chat in this thread and send Majic a U2U with a link to your post, and you will be awarded 500 PTS points.

[edit on 7/15/2006 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I'd like to see spontaneous combustion. Poooof!

Imagine Fidel Castro doing a fireside chat
Imagine Saddam in a fireside chat
Imagine this incoherent boob....

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think that this'd be a good idea, except that Bush ain't a talker, and, in all honesty, he's not going to be reading names of dead soldiers, he's going to be talking about good stuff, and people will just say its lies and propaganda.

Also, he does have a weekly radio address.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yeah, I'll give him that. Our president can read.
Especially if he has plenty of time to go over it ahead of time and sound out all the words.

I can just see him sitting there in his overstuffed chair in a red satin-lapelled smoking jacket holding a pipe in one hand and his speech in the other...

"People of America, we got terruhsts out there, around every corner... heh, heh, heh. We gotta fight 'em there so we don't have to fight 'em here... heh, heh, heh. We're spreadin' freedom and democracy... We need ta protect our freedoms, because that's what they hate us for... our freedoms. We have liberated Iraq from tyranny. heh, heh, heh. We're safer... We're liberators! There are plenty of troops in Iraq. heh, heh, heh. I need a nap..."

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
BH, thanks for the laugh, i needed that. It sounds just like him..LOL

He cant think or articulate anything new, so he just keeps saying the same thing over and over again. Moron.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Agree with what others have said. I dont think Bush can have a conversation with the public that isn't pre-scripted. He has trouble sounding out the words and thinking at the same time.

Though we might some gems like these:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

"I want to be the peace president."

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Yes, I think you could fill a book with the stupid things GW has said.

I also agree that any kind of off the cuff conversation with george bush would be both hilarious and terribly embaressing.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I personally dont think Bush has the qualities of someone who can use this technique effectively, or as well as FDR did

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Majic's Political Easter Egg: Be the first to post the date of FDR's first fireside chat in this thread and send Majic a U2U with a link to your post, and you will be awarded 500 PTS points.

[edit on 7/15/2006 by Majic]
March 12, 1933

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Majic's Political Easter Eggs

Originally posted by JohnDoe43
March 12, 1933

You are correct, sir!

500 PTS Brownbacks are yours.

top topics

join