It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allawi: Iraq abuse as bad as under Saddam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Former Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi says human rights abuses by the Baghdad government are as bad today as they were under Saddam Hussein.

Militias are operating within the Shia-led government, torturing and killing in secret bunkers, he told Britain's Observer newspaper.

His comments come two weeks after 170 detainees were found at an interior ministry center. Some were allegedly suffering from abuse and starvation.

Allawi said the militias had infiltrated the police and warned that their influence could spread throughout the government.

Allawi was Iraq's first interim prime minister but failed to win January's election. He has since formed a coalition to contest next month's parliamentary elections, the BBC reported.

Source

Also....

Allawi: Iraq abuse as bad as under Saddam

Abuses as bad as under dictator, claims Allawi

“It is an appropriate comparison.”

Now do we need to liberate the Iraqi people from the sadistic so-called Democratic government we imposed on them?

To be fair we did set the example for them to follow.

Now consider who would want to be 'liberated' by America when our head puppet admits things are not better.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It would be more believable if he had cited more examples of abuse. As it stands, it sounds like his opinion and no more.

A political angle by Allawi cannot be overlooked, either.

Some of this is to be expected, given the history of Iraq under Hussein. After the years of suffering and torture at the hands of the Sunnis, the Shia are bound to see this as payback time.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Nice Guy ey?
And he will talk about ABUSE bad as under Saddam!

www.smh.com.au...

Iyad Allawi, the new Prime Minister of Iraq, pulled a pistol and executed as many as six suspected insurgents at a Baghdad police station, just days before Washington handed control of the country to his interim government, according to two people who allege they witnessed the killings.

They say the prisoners - handcuffed and blindfolded - were lined up against a wall in a courtyard adjacent to the maximum-security cell block in which they were held at the Al-Amariyah security centre, in the city's south-western suburbs.

They say Dr Allawi told onlookers the victims had each killed as many as 50 Iraqis and they "deserved worse than death".

The Prime Minister's office has denied the entirety of the witness accounts in a written statement to the Herald, saying Dr Allawi had never visited the centre and he did not carry a gun.

But the informants told the Herald that Dr Allawi shot each young man in the head as about a dozen Iraqi policemen and four Americans from the Prime Minister's personal security team watched in stunned silence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yes Mister Allawi - it is pretty Bad, huh?

[edit on 27/11/05 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
It would be more believable if he had cited more examples of abuse.
As it stands, it sounds like his opinion and no more.

I agree with you. All he is doing is talking. There is nothing
to go with it to substantiate this. Also, considering his alleged
criminal back ground I don't know if I would believe anything he said.

Emotions will be running high for many decades. The different groups
have killed each other for so long ... there is so much hate .... this
peace will take a while before it will hold. There are bound to be
outlawed revenge killings for a while until things get under control.

[edit on 11/27/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Sure it is.

Iraq worse then Unde Saddam
Iraqis Endure Worse Conditions Than Under Saddam, UN Survey Finds
This is ten times worse then under Saddam
Iraq Health care FAR WORSE then before the War
Iraqi Women no Better Off then Before, UN Official Says
TORTURE worse then under Saddam, says Victim

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Sure it is.

Iraq worse then Unde Saddam
Iraqis Endure Worse Conditions Than Under Saddam, UN Survey Finds
This is ten times worse then under Saddam
Iraqi Women no Better Off then Before, UN Official Says
TORTURE worse then under Saddam, says Victim

I was expecting just this from the denialist, and was prepared to make a post similar to this when I was called away.

Thanks for covering for my back while I was gone.

BTW- Chalabi was the one with the criminal past, but both were on the US payrole for many years.

Puppets.....

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Will we get any news about the other side?

Or is that forgivable??

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Will we get any news about the other side?

What other side?

Maybe we will get it if you post it, but it would be off topic in this thread so start your own.

Or is that forgivable??

What is to forgive?

All thoughts are relevant.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
If you continue Flyers Fan's reply, you'll see that she was not denying that there is abuse:

Emotions will be running high for many decades. The different groups
have killed each other for so long ... there is so much hate .... this
peace will take a while before it will hold. There are bound to be
outlawed revenge killings for a while until things get under control.

She merely stated that Allawi has a violent past himself, which is the same thing you and Souljah said.

So, why is she a denialist?

Btw I saw this in the link

However, Iraq's deputy prime minister Barham Saleh told reporters in London that the health situation in Iraq was "not good" but it was improving not deteriorating.

He said "the level of devastation that Saddam Hussein has left us with was unimaginable" and added that health budgets were increasing.

And even more telling, this:

UK foreign secretary Jack Straw pointed out that since the conflict 95% of children under five had been immunised, some 150 primary health care centres were planned and a string of hospitals in the south of the country had been renovated.

He said the great mistake the report made was blaming any problems with healthcare on the Iraqi government and health ministry rather than terrorists and insurgents.

"In those many areas of Iraq where there are no terrorists and no insurgents there is no problem whatsoever with the delivery of health care."

Emphasis mine

Hmmm.....

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

And even more telling, this:
quote: UK foreign secretary Jack Straw pointed out that since the conflict 95% of children under five had been immunised, some 150 primary health care centres were planned and a string of hospitals in the south of the country had been renovated.

He said the great mistake the report made was blaming any problems with healthcare on the Iraqi government and health ministry rather than terrorists and insurgents.

"In those many areas of Iraq where there are no terrorists and no insurgents there is no problem whatsoever with the delivery of health care."

Planning serves no one now, Partisans[There are no Iraqi insurgents anywhere in the world until there is a legitimate government in Iraq for them to rise up against] are not the ones blowing up hospitals, and who would you blame other than those in charge for lack of services?

Blame the Americans for Iraq having fewer hospitals now, and the puppet government for failing to provide services.

Even with the sanctions things were better under Saddam for most everyone.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Why is this even a surprise? Sure we're told the Iraq war is all about a humanitarian mission and that Saddam was evil but that's got little to do with anything, it's just hot air really.

Saddam had to go because he was road block on the business highway, simple as that. He wanted to trade oil in Euros and break from OPEC if they wouldn't agree, he had to go because that would hurt the US finacially.

All the 'terror' he comitted when he was in power occured when he was in favour with the governments trying to hang him today.

Everyone said throughout the 90's that Saddam can't be knocked off from his position because the person that replaces him will have to be worse than Saddam to keep the country in order because they won't have the legacy and ability to instill fear into a nation to keep it under control like he did.

The attitude towards Saddam changed in sync with his oil business outlook.
This is why other murderous and torturous leaders are untouched, human rights means nothing to the power players, it's just a pain in their ass which they have to address so they can create an illusion of caring about something other than their bottomline.

The Iraq war is the worst humanitarian mission EVER due to it's cost/death/success ratio. The amount of money spent on 'freeing' Iraq could have solved many of the worlds global problems if humanitarian concerns was an actual factor in starting this war.

top topics

join