It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E. coli in North Vancouver's drinking water.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
North Vancouver is currently under a boil-water advisory due to tests that found E. coli in the drinking water.

cbc.ca

E. coli found in North Vancouver drinking water

E. coli bacteria have been found in a drinking water sample from a North Vancouver neighbourhood, prompting a boil-water advisory that affects more than 500 houses and businesses.

Vancouver Coastal Health Authority officials acknowledged it was possible the sample became contaminated in the lab.

But they said they were taking no chances because the same bacteria contaminated the water supply in Walkerton, Ont., killing seven people and making several thousand people ill in 2000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No one has been reported sick in the area so hopefully this is only a case of a compromised sample.

I looked up on the web to see what might cause drinking water to be contaminated.

about.com

E. coli comes from human and animal wastes. During rainfalls, snow melts, or other types of precipitation, E. coli may be washed into creeks, rivers, streams, lakes, or groundwater. When these waters are used as sources of drinking water and the water is not treated or inadequately treated, E. coli may end up in drinking water.

Here is a map of the area map link
Also a map of the larger area map link.

To my knowledge the areas gets it's drinking water from the Capilano Reservoir.

Not so long ago there was a case of Cryptosporidium in these waters as well. www.straight.com

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I was just cleaning out my subscribed threads and I thought I should post an update here.

www.lasalute.net

The District of North Vancouver and the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority have lifted the boil water advisory that has affected more than 500 homes for the past three days...

The District of North Vancouver and the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority have lifted the boil water advisory that has affected more than 500 homes for the past three days. File photo The warning notices went out in the Riverside, Dollarton, and Mount Seymour Parkway neighbourhoods on Saturday after a routine water sample tested positive for E. coli. INDEPTH: E. coli bacteria But three subsequent days of testing have showed no sign of water contamination. And a Vancouver Coastal Health Authority spokesperson had said on Monday there had been no reports of anyone getting sick.

I guess maybe it was just a compromised sample.

join