It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a rebel by obeying the law.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
My boss came into work one morning yelling at me (though half-kidding as well) for driving the speed limit on I-95 when she was running late. Was it my fault she was late? For those of you who are not familiar with what I-95 looks like, it's something like this on a slow day:

Anyhow. The speed limit is 55mph. I had a change of heart here at ATS (after reading about bootlegging and copyrights), to do my best to adhere to the law. Now, speed limit doesn't say "suggested" nor "recommended" rather "limit". That means to not go beyond. I'm sure a court judge would say the same. Just because I will not get pulled over for doing 75mph doesn't mean I should, yes?

The public is conspiring against the police, courts, law of the land by having a "pack mentality" to get away with as much as they can so long as they're not caught. They ride everyone's backside, flashing highbeams, and cut people off as a common practice. You don't see hardly any exception to that rule.

Why do I drive 55? Here's a daily picture of I-95:

I come across between 1 to 3 accidents each day. My 20 minute drive turns into an excess of an hour sometimes. Driving 55, I'd be home in 20 minutes on rare occasions when there are no accidents.

Why do I have to be a rebel to obey the law?

What's the deal with everyone buying into this mass conspiracy?

What "rebel" law-abiding practices have you found challenging?

[edit on 14-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have to admit...Hearing that your state requires a maximum speed of 55mph on an interstate does make me happy that we can at least go up to 70mph on I-10 here in Florida....

Of course, I do 75....LOL

Isn't there some study out there that indicates higher speeds on motorways are safer and results in fewer accidents? Under that scenario though, when an accident would happen, it certainly would not be pretty....I've seen a few autobahn accidents first-hand in the past....

I feel it's a product of our materialistic society....Greed, power, time constraints...

I can go down the road to the Porsche dealership and ogle at a $500,000 Carrera GT - Plenty of wealthy people in this town could buy that car and get speeding ticket after speeding ticket without fully realizing the consequences b/c they live in a different reality...Getting a ticket doesn't mean they drive the speed limit for the next three weeks, it just means their secretary has one more thing to handle...

I think the real problem though are these people who simply follow the person in front of them while driving....They have no driving style of their own - They mindlessly follow (at a bumper's length) the exact breaking and acceleration methods of the person in front of them without caring about who's behind them or where they're really trying to get to...Amplify that by leaving five minutes later than they should have....If you're doing the right thing and going the speed limit, you're an obstacle in their way...

These people have other hurdles in life they need to address though...

The way a person drives is as much a way of understanding the psyche of the person behind the wheel as is the wardrobe they choose to wear to work or the manner in which they interact with other people in public places...

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Maybe I am off topic here, but this came to mind as I read your post...I am an old man, having driven many hot rods really fast in my early days, but now I drive the speed limit most times, and obey all traffic signs and lights. What i have noticed is that Everyone seems to be in a big hurry here. I have cars and SUVs pass on double yellow, on hills, and so on, going some 80 mph just to get around me! the other day, a woman following me on our access road got really mad that I would not go as fast as she. She tailgated me, honking the horn, and finally passed me on a hill that you cannot see over, on a double yellow line with a no passing sign clearly visible. When she approached to stop sign at the intersection, she was going much too fast to stop, and she skidded out into traffic, right in front of a State Trooper. When i passed her, she had her head in her hands, crying. I told the officer what she had done, and he advised me that she would be "taken care of." what causes people to take lives into their hands like this? Magickman

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
the speed limts are too low for new cars. I have a nice hot rod right now that is a daily driver. not only has more power than stock, but bigger brakes, better suspension and much better tires. this does not mean i drive like a mad man. however on a 3 lane highway all the people who wish to go the same speed should be in the same lane.

And then there are the people who do not even do the speed limit on tiny little 2 lane roads in the middle of nowhere. they get this big parade of cars behind them and won't move over to be courteous.

SUVs are another issue i have. they are too large and kill to many people (in other cars). Most are so heavy they crush under their own weight.

drivers's license tests are obsolete. back when cars could not go over 50 the test is fine. but with new cars and high speed limits and ABS, TC, and al that other bs to "help" people drive safer people have forgotten how to drive when it rains or snows. ABS actually is worse in snow becasue you cannot build up snow unter the tire to help you stop. and stracion control is just a poor excuse for now having AWD or a '___' to help you along. most cut throttle or apply the brakes.

so in esseance, new cars are great, but some technology is poo. some people should not drive and others should be locked up for being wreckless.

I do not think you are being a rebel by obeying the law. besides by not going the rate of traffic you are a bigger accident than by going with teh flow. even here on I35, they lowered the speedlimit to 55 to cut the number accident. well it did the opposite. but there were more fatalities. too me, its darwinism at work. I have the same feeling about the seatbelt. you never know what kind wreck you are gonna get into and stats can only "predict" so much.

So i say, DRIVE SAFE, which is not always slow.

also sport cars are usually better for avoiding an accident than your common eco car or suv. better avoidance by better brakeing handling and on tap power. By the way, my sport car is a BEST PICK. but i still disabled the abs as it has been proven that it over heats the brakes quicker and has a longer stopping distance for the inexperienced driver.

rant over
have a good day

here is a good link www.safespeed.org.uk...
also going faster does nto always waste more gas. i get better gas mileage going 80 in my car than at 60. why? effecince range power band.

p.s. my car makes almost 300 hp and is just a 2.0 4cylinder (not a honda). and in japan thjey have 3 cylinders putting down over 500 hp. they even have 1100 streetable cars (v6 twin turbo).

You must understand all facets of teh argument at hand befor eyou attest to speeding is safe or now. public oppinion can be manipulated.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magickman
When she approached to stop sign at the intersection, she was going much too fast to stop, and she skidded out into traffic, right in front of a State Trooper.

That was epic. It's only funny because no-one got hurt. I saw something very similar. Some guy trying to run a red saw a cop and hit the breaks. Smoking, he stopped right in the middle of the intersection. The policeman had no alternative to get out, if only to get traffic moving again. It was early morning. The officer got out of his car shaking his head with that look that says, "I can't believe this joker..."

Originally posted by Magickman
When i passed her, she had her head in her hands, crying. I told the officer what she had done, and he advised me that she would be "taken care of." what causes people to take lives into their hands like this? Magickman

Priorities and lack of mortal conscious. Priority can be mind on money, job, future, etc. Lack of mortal conscious I cannot figure out since I guess I always had one. I'd bet most people here on ATS have one too. Those who care most about clothes, cars, and big houses perhaps less so.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
A couple winters ago, the road was covered in ice on a crossroad intersection, there was no traffic that late at night, I saw absolutely no car or no pedestrian coming either sides. So I said to myself, the heck with that stop sign. I accelerated a bit and pulled the handbrake to make my car spin in a 90 degree turn, sort of. To my surprise there was a cop car hidden at the next corner with all his lights turned off who saw it all happening. Oooooh, noooes! But the cops may have thought I accidentaly lost control on ice or something because they never turned on their flashing lights at me. Oh man, was my face painted red! I then drived slowly like law-abiding cute little angel for the rest of the night.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Awww, that is why Saint is my favorite person on here. He is so thoughtful, caring, considerate and bless his precious heart law abiding too! LOL!! You rock dude!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yes, going the speed limit would probably lower a few accidents, but there's always going to be accidents no matter the speed at which cars travel. In the second picture, the motorists could have been going 30mph and that accident could have happened, it's obviously veyr snowy there and presumably slick.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Hate to say it, but if everyone on the highway is going 70 mph and you are going 55, then you are the traffic hazard. This is a case where sometimes, following the law is much more dangerous than not following it. Sure, that is because everyone else isn't following the law, but maybe that should tell you something about the law.

A law that practically everyone breaks, even those changed with enforcing it, must not be a very good law.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I used to live in Slidell, LA. The road that I traveled to my home had a speed limit of 20mph and about 5 or 6 stop signs. My hubby and I were the only ones who ever came to a complete stop and stayed at the posted speed limit. One night while hubby was driving down this strret, we noticed a patrol car behind us. The cop pulled up next to us a the light in the right hand turn lane. I glanced over and saw that she had run our plates on her computer. Not sure whether it was the Nevada plates or the obeying the law that looked suspicios to her.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
Awww, that is why Saint is my favorite person on here. He is so thoughtful, caring, considerate and bless his precious heart law abiding too! LOL!! You rock dude!

*hugs Stacy* Thanks sister, always glad to get props.

Originally posted by darkelf
The cop pulled up next to us a the light in the right hand turn lane. I glanced over and saw that she had run our plates on her computer. Not sure whether it was the Nevada plates or the obeying the law that looked suspicios to her.

Interesting you bring that up. Spouse and I got pulled over in a small town for no apparent reason. He asked if we knew why we were being stopped. Spouse (driving) said, "honestly I have no idea". He looked in the back and said, "Is that your kid?" I thought about comedian Bill Engvall...

...and wished I could say, "Nah, we thought we'd borrow her from the adoption agency for a few days to see if we liked her and wanted to keep her." Here's yer sign

We said, "yeah." Then he says, "You guys seemed to be accelerating fast leaving town." The signs did in fact change from 25mph to 55mph, but didn't know 'accelerating too quickly' was against the law. Spouse says, "okay, we'll take it easier when we pass through". Smart move, the cop let us go. What was that all about? As far as accelerating quickly, here's a picture of our 4-cylinder Saturn:

Looks just like this, don't it?

Go Speed Racer go!

[edit on 17-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Know what, they also have "minimum speed" signs posted along freeways. Last I checked it was 45 in Michigan, 40 here in Ohio.

If you don't like me going speed limit on the freeway, there's another lane or two you can use! And yes, I stay in the right lane except when passing.

Here's my strategy for passing--Wait until all the lead-footers have gone by, then pass, instead of cutting in and getting them mad.

One time I was on a two-lane road, doing 55 just like everyone else in front of me. This wise-guy behind me decided to pass me and a few other cars ahead of me--all at the same time.

A little later I saw him pulled over by Smokey.

Magickman--That's classic. I should tell my husband about that one.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Oh, I gotta tell about this one too.

One time my husband and I were in Orrville, Ohio. We were stopped at a red light, going east on High Street, getting ready to make a right turn and go south on Main Street (no turn on red).

A cop pulled alongside us in the left-turn lane, as he was (duh) going to make a left turn.

The light turned red for Main Street, and here comes this guy going northbound--and right through the red light. I was driving my van, so obviously the guy couldn't see the cop next to us!

Talk about getting caught red-handed. The cop next to us pulled out, turned on his lights, and pulled the dude over!

Can't help but think we helped the cop out a bit...albeit accidentally!

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Obeying the law.
Hmmm. Whose law? Americas, Canadas, Hungarys, Englands. They are all different.
Even in the U.S. they contradict state by state.
(you can have same sex marriages in some and not in the other)
Now the argument may be brought up that the one that goes by the Bible.
Are you versed in Biblical Law enough to make that discernment...can you be in a beit din (rabbinical court). Of course your Christian so you will argue the spirit will lead you to understand how the laws align.

But I think this is going to deep already.
Lets back up and look at the surface level.
You seemed proud to just obey the law on suface value regardless of how it relates or doesnt relate to the Bible (as pointed out law is riddled of contradicions) Is this bad. No, its what is needed for you at this time.

On a grander scale, does this benefit in anyway...truly? The fact you went the speed limit.
consider this, your speedometer may be wrong, and you may inadvertently broke the law.
The Christian then brakes in and says that it is covered by grace because not it is by the heart that counts...not the "letter of the law"

What Im trying to do, is to catch arguments you will perhaps bring up, before you do, and summarize here the best I can this:

do you see the potential faliblity in this line of thinking.
It appears that at best, it strokes the ego. Yes, your intent is true, I do not doubt.
But when we get lost in the small things of life, we waste life, and spend time trying to separate ourselves from others by "acts of righteousness"

Does this mean do what you will. YOu can, and you may pay the cost for speeding.
This is not the point. This post uses words, and for sure, this post, you will have to look past the words and feel the "spirit" as it guides you to what is being said.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Several years ago, I worked a job that required a 60 mile commute. There was a section of the interstate along the way that was notorious for speed traps. Everyone that drove through the area on a regular basis was aware of this, and observed the speed limit. which was 55 for passenged vehicles and 50 for trucks. Once, while traveling through the area, a caddy up behind me doing about 70, moved to the inside lane to pass and just after moving back to the right lane, the driver saw the state trooper in the median. She immediately slammed on the brakes, forcing me to do the same, coming almost to a stop. I looked in the mirror, and here came the blue lights. I had to pull over so he could pull the caddy over. then he got out of the cruiser , smiled and waved me on.

I remember reading somewhere that in the old days before the national speed limit, the limit was determined in this manner. A state police car would drive along the highway, going ith the flow and noting the speed that seemed most comfortable for most drivers. This speed was used as a sugesstion for the final speed limit.

A lot of cars built in the late 60'2and early 70's were designed to with drivetrains tued to peak at around 70. These were the bigh highway cruiser, the Caddies, the Crown Vics and the Caprices. Many had a high ration overdrive that was usable at speeds over 60. IN this gear the engin would be idling at 60 to 70.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
Obeying the law.
Hmmm. Whose law? Americas, Canadas, Hungarys, Englands. They are all different.

In America, obey America's. In Canada, obey Canada's. In England's obey Englands. Don't make no sense to obey America's laws in England...and it's very dangerous when you're driving on the wrong side of the street there speaking from experience. There is a unifying thread in these laws. They were designed and are effective in maintaining public safety.

Even in the U.S. they contradict state by state.

You'll not get pulled over in any U.S. state for wearing a seatbelt. Some states won't pull you over for not wearing one, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea to not wear one.

(you can have same sex marriages in some and not in the other)
Now the argument may be brought up that the one that goes by the Bible.
Are you versed in Biblical Law enough to make that discernment...can you be in a beit din (rabbinical court). Of course your Christian so you will argue the spirit will lead you to understand how the laws align.

I did not say I judge the law, I say I'm choosing to obey the law...which makes me both a minority and a rebel to the rest of society.

But I think this is going to deep already.
Lets back up and look at the surface level.
You seemed proud to just obey the law on suface value regardless of how it relates or doesnt relate to the Bible (as pointed out law is riddled of contradicions) Is this bad. No, its what is needed for you at this time.

Apologies for "seeming proud" as it is not the case. This persuasive essay is an encouragement to obey the law and yet a complaint that I have to rebel against society in order to do what is right.

On a grander scale, does this benefit in anyway...truly? The fact you went the speed limit.

The police, (a Maryland court judge), and I seem to think so. The blood on the highway, shattered glass and wreckage I pass by daily shows me what happens when people do not obey the law. Did you know at 40 miles an hour a collision can squish your head like a mellon? Not the case for 25 miles an hour. I believe this is the concept for residential zones at 25 mph. That accident may not hurt you as a driver in the car...but what about the kid that ran out in front of you?

consider this, your speedometer may be wrong, and you may inadvertently broke the law.

My conscious is clear. I am making every effort possible to do what is right. The heart, the head and the spirit are in accord.

The Christian then brakes in and says that it is covered by grace because not it is by the heart that counts...not the "letter of the law"

What Im trying to do, is to catch arguments you will perhaps bring up, before you do, and summarize here the best I can this:

do you see the potential faliblity in this line of thinking.
It appears that at best, it strokes the ego. Yes, your intent is true, I do not doubt.
But when we get lost in the small things of life, we waste life, and spend time trying to separate ourselves from others by "acts of righteousness"

Does this mean do what you will. YOu can, and you may pay the cost for speeding.
This is not the point. This post uses words, and for sure, this post, you will have to look past the words and feel the "spirit" as it guides you to what is being said.

Peace

Dalen

"Acts of righteousness" do not matter when "all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God." Don't know how or why this is turning into a religious debate, but can apply there too if you like. Also, if you're going to have both sides of the conversation, right or wrong there's really no reason to say or have me say anything. Of course all of this is monologue on your part anyway if you did what you said before and put me on ignore.

[edit on 16-11-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If no one is following the posted speed limit, it might just mean that people would like the limit raised to a more acceptable level to accomodate our newer, safer cars and trucks.

We all drive more now than in the past. We live further away from everything. It would be nice to get where we are going today. As Sammy Hagar says, "I can't drive 55. It took me 16 hours to get to LA."

[edit on 16-11-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
"I. Can't. Drive. Fifty Fiiiiiiiiiive!!!"
~~~~~The Red Rocker

The Interstate loop around my city has a 55MPH speed limit, and you're risking serious injury by sticking to it. 65 and you're a moving chicane. 70+ is the norm and I'd say 75 generally keeps you in the flow inconspicuously.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I thought you might find this interesting...

Public Act of Obediance

Do I speed? Sometimes? Why? To keep with the flow of the traffic.
MOST of the time, I would rather go at, or admittedly, a little above the speed limit, which is 55 here.
I was told by a few trucker friends of mine, and even a few people I know that are professional drivers of another kind, cabbies, and driving instructors, that up to 7 miles above the limit and you'll likely not get pulled over.. So that is what I ususlly travel, depending on how far I am going.. The farther I am going, the faster I drive.
That being said, I am a careful driver, I am very aware of the traffic in front, and behind me, and I have had pple run up on me, because I am doing 65, and they were barreling down the road at 80.
I have seen numberous accidents happen right in front of me, ppl skid out, lose control, hit deer, (fresh raod kill anyone), cars flip..
I used to live at Front and Rooseveldt in Philly.. Between Front street, Mascher, and Rising Sun (a block either way), there was an average of a crash a month, sometimes fatal. The police and EMTs got to know me very well, because I was usually THE first person with medical training on the scene, and was actively helping those I could help when they arrived.
The law is there to try to help people. But as you see from the video, sometimes, it can be a hinderance. Does that mean it is wrong, and should be obeyed or not at whim?
No, but if you chose to go over thelimit, you have also chosen to be ticketed, if you are caught, it is as simple as that.
I try to be careful, and conciderate. Most of the time I drive, I have my children in the car with me, and I confess, I take NO chances with them.
Sometimes, if you are a right lane hugger like me, Once I caught a flat, and after changing it to the donut I headed on my way. Speed limit 55, I could go no faster than 50, as per the donut recommendations. So setting cruise control to 49, I went about my way.
As cars came up behind me, I hit my 4 ways. They knew that I was having an issue, and had enough sense then to switch lanes. Though I did have one fool ride up my tailpipe high beams burning into my eyes, untilI moved my mirrors, and they reflected back at them, and then I guess they finally saw the 4 ways, and went around.
There is no moral to this. For everyone, you have to do what you feel is safer, which might not always be expident... but there is always going to be those that push the limit, if the limit is 65, they go 75, if it is 75, they got 85...

join