It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penguins Forced to Evolve?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Environmental changes, including glacier breakups, could be causing penguins to evolve over time for survival. If this research pans out it could put more weight behind the Theory of Evolution. More to the point, it bears credibility to Microevolution, or the evolution of beings in small increments in relatively small amounts of time. Even Microevolution is believed by some of the opposition to the Theory of Evolution as a whole.

news.yahoo.com
The breakup of giant icebergs may have forced minor evolutionary changes in penguins over the past 6,000 years, a new study suggests.

Microevolution involves small-scale genetic changes in a species over time. The classic example is a color change undergone by British pepper moths in response to changing levels of air pollution. The acquisition of antibiotic resistance by bacteria and the trend towards tusk-less elephants in Africa are also examples of microevolution at work.

Something was causing the penguins to break from their normal behavior and interbreed with members of different colonies. One idea was that the breakup of mega-icebergs was blocking the swim paths of penguins and forcing them to migrate to more accessible colonies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, this could be used to help bolster Evolutionist theories, particularly of microevolution. I think the article makes sense and that with the studies that went on about the different penguin colonies there could actually be something to the microevolution theory. I'm not a proponent of "one or the other," because I do believe that there was a combination of Creationism and Evolution taking place. Why would something have to stay the same after it's made?

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

[edit on 9-11-2005 by Shaker]

[edit on 9-11-2005 by Shaker]

[edit on 11/12/05 by FredT]

new topics

join