It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't Muslims speak out more against violence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Okay, I've read as much as I can about islamist extremist. Now I'm stuck on a thought, why do muslims not speak out against the violence and put a public denoucment against their wrong viewing of Islam? I mean atleast the Cathlolic church excommunicates bad Catholics (which means that basically God doesn't side with them anymore and the religion doesn't recognize you). This practice has been highly pursuading in the past. I must know why 1 billion people don't speak out when most of the world is quietly saying that Islam is of evil.

Is there somthing more to this? Are the other 5 billion people in the dark to their true intentions?

[edit on 4-11-2005 by An_Absolute_Creation_help]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
There was a programme on the BBC not too long ago about this.

Basically, the elders are aware that something is amiss but don't ask questions, it would bring shame on the family in the community.

Similarly, parents don't question how their 20 year old unemployed son can afford an X5. They are aware of the fact that they are probably selling drugs, but don't say anything.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Carlos,

I agree 100%. But why and when will they decide that enough is enough? When it is too late and the momentum is achieved? Maybe it is too late and they already know. Or, perhaps these are modern day tactics in the form of an islamic crusade against the oppressed and weak minded youngster who doesn't know where to turn but needs to turn somewhere. We need outreach programs that are not western affiliated to walk in there and reform the idea of islam, right to the front line. Or they will be wiped off the map as the Iranian Pres. has said of the Jews. (Which I condemn by the way)

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by An_Absolute_Creation_help
Okay, I've read as much as I can about islamist extremist. Now I'm stuck on a thought, why do muslims not speak out against the violence and put a public denoucment against their wrong viewing of Islam?

But isn't it actually the *right* view of Islam? Islam was spread by ceaseless attacks on non-Moslems by its founder and his immediate followers, over a period of about half-a-century. How is what 'extremists' are doing wrong, from that perspective? Doesn't it make Western governments afraid to offend Moslems in any way, and so increase the power of Islam? What Moslem can disagree with that? Enemies of Islam have few rights, after all.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

[edit on 5/11/2005 by roger_pearse]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
When the silent majority is "silent", it kind of makes you wonder whether they condone it or not. If they can't or won't stand up for 'a' religion that seems to be the very existance of their lives, what do they truly believe in after all. So far it doesn't seem all peace and harmony to me.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
"This practice has been highly pursuading in the past. I must know why 1 billion people don't speak out when most of the world is quietly saying that Islam is of evil."

And if someone said that your christianity is evil would you listen? I highly doubt it considering most religious believers believe in nothing but their own religion no matter the truth. I'm pretty sure they think of you as you think of them.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Okay, I've read as much as I can about islamist extremist. Now I'm stuck on a thought, why do muslims not speak out against the violence

?

They do. Some councils have even gone as far as issueing fatwas (declarations) stating that bin ladin is evil and his methods un-koranic.

How much do they have to protest against the actions of evil men? Why should they be held responsible, merely because they are all muslim?

I don't recall the RCC offering expressions of outrage everytime the IRA set off a bomb, or there beign protests throughout the US against the Falangists in lebanon, does that mean that they're all in on and approve those terror acts?

I mean atleast the Cathlolic church excommunicates bad Catholics

Like when? The last time I even heard of a preist being threatened with defrocking was when one preist married a woman.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Okay, I've read as much as I can about islamist extremist. Now I'm stuck on a thought, why do muslims not speak out against the violence and put a public denoucment against their wrong viewing of Islam?

Millions do speak out against the extremists. Just as millions of Christians speak out against the extremists in our religion-yet we are not heard either.

I say let Osama and his buddies go duke it out with Falwell, Robertson, etc. The winners and losers get the same things. An eternity in hell.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

They do.

They have. Many Muslim clerics have issued fatwas against the practice, and Muslims in general are appalled and sickened by it.

The problem is that many who call themselves Christians are so against Muslims that they pay no attention to these fatwas and certainly don't try to work with Muslims to support their fatwas and publicize their efforts.

I've seen many of these rants (which will not only include a rant against the Muslims, but also includes texts that indicate that the only "good Muslim" is one that promptly converts to Christianity.)

I speak from experience on the attitudes of the Muslims. At my university, the student workers in the computer labs are mostly foreign students studying here in the US (US students apparently think these jobs are beneath them. We have a number of openings, but no takers). Many of them are Muslim (and other religions.)

They're a lot more charitable and against violence and pro women's rights than many of the people who post anti-Muslim rants are.

YOU (yes, you) can help their effort... get to know a Muslim or three, and pay attention when their clerics issue fatwas and denounce violence. Don't just shrug it off and go on to the next news story. Pay attention!

[edit on 7-11-2005 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Where I come from, the muslims DO speak out against violence. My work and the work of my wife, who is a professor of mathematics at a large University. brings me in contact with a large number of people of all faiths, from all over the world. Many are muslims, and they are quick to denounce the kind of violence we saw on 9/11 and the riots currently going on in Paris. Unfortunately, these voices don't fit the image that the American corporate media is trying to portray of muslims being somehow silent when it comes to terrorism. I remember one day a few months ago when several of the largest groups of muslims in the country put out a fatwah AGAINST terrorism. It was on the front page of most of the major newspapers. Sure enough, that very day, the right wing talk radio hosts who provide a huge portion of Americans their only news and opinions, repeated the lie that "none of the muslim leaders will condemn violence".

If you're spreading a lie, the only effective way to keep it going is to pretend that it's the truth. This is how conservative talk radio operates. Say something over and over, ignore any contradictory facts, appeal to the most fearful and hateful among us, then repeat the lie again. And again.

Clear Channel Media, Salem Radio Network, Fox News and others are trying their best to create an alternative truth in this country. It almost worked, but it appears the tide is shifting and the truth is starting to emerge again. I never lost faith in Americans to do the right thing, and I think we'll see in the next two elections that Americans will deny those who would destroy our country and American ideals. Polls are already starting to show that.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There was unprecedented and unequivocal condemnation from the the Muslim community in the UK after 7/7. Immams in France have condemned the violence.

Many US citizens supported and contributed financially to the IRA during their active years, we didn't hear from too many Americans condemning these things either. Was this a Catholic/republican/US conspiricy to overthrow the UK.

top topics

join