It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Senate endorses oil drilling in Arctic wildlife refuge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
You blame the current administration? Do you realize how long we've been looking at ANWR?

History of the Refuge The energy and biological resources of northern Alaska have raised controversy for decades, from legislation in the 1970s, to a 1989 oil spill, to more recent efforts to use ANWR resources to address energy needs or to help balance the federal budget. In November 1957, an application for the withdrawal of lands in northeastern Alaska to create an "Arctic National Wildlife Range" was filed. The first group actually to propose to Congress that the area become a national wildlife range, in recognition of the many game species found in the area, was the Tanana Valley (Alaska) Sportsmen's Association in 1959. On December 6, 1960, after statehood, the Secretary of the Interior issued Public Land Order 2214 reserving the area as the "Arctic National Wildlife Range."

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Now if they can just get that darn pipeline for natural gas and oil built through Canada.

Am I the only one who can see the irony in this?

To start the drilling is to break an 18 year old agreement with Canada and saddle us with a very unhappy group of First Nations people. And then ask 'Can we please have your permission to build a big giant pipeline to annoy even more Canadian First Nation groups, whose territory it runs through?'

[edit on 4-11-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
To start the drilling is to break an 18 year old agreement with Canada and saddle us with a very unhappy group of First Nations people. And then ask 'Can we please have your permission to build a big giant pipeline to annoy even more Canadian First Nation groups, whose territory it runs through?'
[edit on 4-11-2005 by Duzey]

Actually the foot print of the pipeline that is proposed is rather small and as I understand it does not go thru as many first nations as you might think.

The pipeline could also provide needed jobs for those nations, something you clearly avoid to note

[edit on 11/4/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'll say it again...leave the wilderness alone.... the wilderness areas are getting smaller and smaller as time goes on. Soon there will be no wilderness... soon we will look just like mars, stripped to the core and barren.. wilderness areas are needed to renew and restore the balance... Thats all I ask ..for a balance....

Jobs ah yes...societies dependant on money... the root of all evil....

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
jsobecky my jsobecky, give the name of one adminstration that has not lie to the American public in history, just to keep the public happy.

No exportation indeed still is not relief on gas prices either.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
i do agree that ethanol and other organic fuels should definitely be the way of the future. they are being pushed very hard in the midwest, and i strongly feel they should be pushed elsewhere too. i have tried to find places to buy this type of fuel in va, but it just isnt available. until a nationwide system is set up for these kinds of fuels, we have to depend upon fossil fuels. and as long as we depend upon oil, we are dependent upon the middle east, and therein lies most of our problems in the world today. i say lets start reducing our dependence upon foreign oil while at the same time, increase our ability to use organic fuels nationwide, instead of select areas of the country.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
marg, marg, where's the trust?

Franklin Pierce. 1853 - 1857

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
marg, marg, where's the trust?

Franklin Pierce. 1853 - 1857

Well it was a honest person after all, I bet he was not corrupted by big interest.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
The pipeline could also provide needed jobs for those nations, something you clearly avoid to note

I guess it's a good thing it runs right through Gwi'chin territory then. After their way of life is destroyed, they'll need some way to feed their people.

It's amazing how many things I can clearly avoid in a post with a whopping three sentences in it.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
From what I've read, the Caribou herds have actually increased in size surrounding present oil drilling sites in Alaska. I think the heat from the machinery and pipelines helps them.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
From what I've read, the Caribou herds have actually increased in size surrounding present oil drilling sites in Alaska. I think the heat from the machinery and pipelines helps them.

Excellent point, but don't tell the greenies that

The area in question is virtually the since of a pin head. Not to mention only 220 people only live there at present and they want the drilling since the need the income and job, again don't tell the greenies that. If they had their way we would all be living in skyscapers:shk:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
From what I've read, the Caribou herds have actually increased in size surrounding present oil drilling sites in Alaska.

That is correct for the Central Artic Caribou herd, by Prudhoe Bay. The herd shifted to a different area in the calving ground. The forage isn't as good, but they don't require a lot of protien during calving. The Central Artic Caribou herd has a 100-mile wide calving area. Lots of room to run from predators. The caribou don't like the machines but the predators don't either, so it affords them some protection.

The Porcupine Herd has a 20-40 mile wide calving area. They require a much higher level of protien during calving and don't have nearly as much room to maneuver. They also have one-half the annual growth rate of the Central Artic.

Some First Nations want it, some don't. It's not my place to decide which of them is right, as this impacts both Nations significantly. I believe that First Nations People have the right to self-determination and this is something they have to agree to between the bands.

The only reason I even posted on this thread is because I thought some people might not be aware of the agreement between our two countries regarding this caribou herd. If I was a 'greenie' I would be crying about the muskoxen who were re-introduced after being wiped out. I don't enjoy having people assign me an agenda just because I don't agree with them, so this is my last post on the topic.

Have a nice day.

[edit on 5-11-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
there's always derision and ridicule heaped on those who champion humanity over dollars.
i have an agenda: to champion the little guy as much as i can.
big oil/big profits, big oil wars/ bigger profits, genociding whole races and cultures/biggest profits.

history has shown the same pattern repeatedly. we hardly ever hear from the mainstream about the extermination of indigenous populations by the world's military, to clear 'property' for 'development'. it's not 'relevent'. clear cutting of rainforests also clearcuts the human population who have been there for centuries on end.

the people who make decisions don't really care what the natives think, or how they live or die, they don't even care about the electorate's opinion very much, they don't even care about turning the world into mars.
i'm not swayed by 'godwin's law'. that's a stock device used to make anyone who knows what fascism is, look like a fanatic of some sort.
the media lies to support the lies of the government which support the lies of the secret service/military which support the lies of the evil overlords.

[edit on 7-11-2005 by billybob]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Arctic Map Vanishes, and Oil Area Expands

Did everyone see this?

Arctic Map Vanishes, and Oil Area Expands

Maps matter. They chronicle the struggles of empires and zoning boards. They chart political compromise. So it was natural for Republican Congressional aides, doing due diligence for what may be the last battle in the fight over the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, to ask for the legally binding 1978 map of the refuge and its coastal plain.

It was gone. No map, no copies, no digitized version.

The wall-size 1:250,000-scale map delineated the tundra in the biggest national land-use controversy of the last quarter-century, an area that environmentalists call America's Serengeti and that oil enthusiasts see as America's Oman.

The map had been stored behind a filing cabinet in a locked room in Arlington, Va. Late in 2002, it was there. In early 2003, it disappeared. There are just a few reflection-flecked photographs to remember it by.

All this may have real consequences. The United States Geological Survey drew up a new map. On Wednesday, the Senate Energy and Commerce Committee passed a measure based on the new map that opened to drilling 1.5 million acres of coastal plain in the refuge.

This problem of disappearing evidence is plaguing all the sciences these days. Over the past few years, I've seen a lot of medical research and information on geophysics disappear overnight from the Net, get rewritten, altered, and changed in dramatic ways.

...The vote was taken based on the new map...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join