It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO on an Orthodox Christian ICON?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I took a picture of an icon in a monastery in Georgia which dates from 500 or so years back. All the icons there are authentic but what got my eye was one which has UFO's on it. It was stunning to see such a relic with flying dishes in the sky. It is even stranger that it was preserved during Communism. Can anyone explain or provide any other photos of this kind?

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If you thought that was amazing, get a load of this website: UFO Artwork

It has pictures from all timelines just about.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unplugged
If you thought that was amazing, get a load of this website: UFO Artwork

It has pictures from all timelines just about.

I just checked it and even the one i took is there. You know the human mind is hard to be convinced. In this era of technology you cannot omit computer graphics. But i actually took that photo myself, and OH YES, the feeling is inexplicable. I just don't see such artworks everyday and in every museum. It is a very nice site though! Thank you really!

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
While UFO's do appear in numerous old artworks, in THIS particular case, it's being misconstrued....

As a long-time Art History student, I can tell you that those two images that look like UFOs are actually old representations for the sun and the moon. If you see a close-up image of this piece, you'll be able to discern it better.

Here's a better image of it, though maybe not good enough to tell...

There's actually even a term for this representation...but it's on the tip of my brain right now.... (the points are rays of light, sunlight and moonlight).

[edit on 2-11-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
While UFO's do appear in numerous old artworks, in THIS particular case, it's being misconstrued....

As a long-time Art History student, I can tell you that those two images that look like UFOs are actually old representations for the sun and the moon. If you see a close-up image of this piece, you'll be able to discern it better.

[edit on 2-11-2005 by Gazrok]

That could be an explanation and you could see on the photo i took that the dishes are of a different color- the right is blue and the left is red. However, the iconographer actually made many more icons and he never depicted the sun and moon in they way he does on that icon! Moreover, the giude i had (she is an Art Professor) is very keen on icons, as are many of the arts people in Georgia, and she pointed out that in this particular case it is namely UFOs.

In addition to that I'm quite skeptic about the way traditional Art books explain images which throughout history have been controversial! Its just that many of the critics were so much influenced by higher authorities, especially in the Christian art!

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Just for personal interest, which particular artwork would you consider authentic? I don't have alot of art history background and the internet is full of questionable material, so you can see how well my judgement would be.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
That site linked to earlier has many examples of what (in my opinion) are genuine depictions of UFOs (as well as misidentifications). A key indicator is of course if people are looking up at it or pointing to it....or if it doesn't fit the standard iconography or mythology depiction. People aren't generally going to be concerned with the sun or the moon in such works...

I'll try and find some info on the term I can't recall, for the sun and moon depictions, as well as some other examples. I think there was even a post here on it before...

EDIT: Found it...prepare to be disappointed....
The term I'm thinking of is anthropomorphic depiction of the moon and sun

www.sprezzatura.it...

Visit the link to see PLENTY of examples of this same symbolism used, and clearer images...

“ The sun and moon, one on each side of the cross, are a regular feature of Medieval crucifixions. They survived into the early Renaissance but are seldom seen after the 15th century. Their origin is very ancient. It was the custom to represent the sun and moon in images of the pagan sun gods of Persia and Greece, a practice that was carried over into Roman times on coins depicting the emperors.”
(...) The sun is[sometimes represented as simply a man’s bust with a radiant halo, the moon as a woman’s with the crescent of Diana. Later they are reduced to two plain disks, the moon having a crescent within the circle, may be borne by angels. The sun appears on Christ's right, the moon on his left.”

Sad to say, but the guide there should brush up on her art history...

[edit on 3-11-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
These paintings are not photos, they are artists interpretations. In most cases these works of art were created 1000 years after the birth, life, death and resurrection of Christ. The artist wanted to show that God was in the scenes depicted by the artist. How do you paint God? What can you paint so that people will recognize that God in your scene?

Remember none of these artists were alive when Jesus walked the earth.

The painters wanted to show that God was present during these events, they decided to depict God as Ezekiel’s saw him; he could have used the image of the burning bush to convey this thought but obviously decided against it.

If you see UFO's in these works of art then you are applying modern day science fiction to ancient events.

Ezekiel's account of God:

Ezekiel 1

4 I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal,

PS- I realize there are other cave paintings done 1000's of years before Jesus that show circles in the air but I'm far from believing they are Alien space transports from places unknown. *wink, wink*

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Just some examples of which are certainly worthy of further study….(from ufoartwork.com, AD section)

There are other works like this one above too, which may just be a depiction of the power of god, and as coming from a disc. Such images are used in depictions of Mary's conception and the baptism of Jesus mostly. However, I'm not familiar with any commonly accepted explanation for the disc shape being used for this, other than the halo reference perhaps...so it's still intriguing.

Perhaps the first detailed sighting recording…

The above illustration depicts a sighting that occurred at 9.45pm on the evening of 18th August 1783 when four witnesses on the terrace of Windsor Castle observed a luminous object in the skies of the Home Counties of England. The sighting was recorded the following year in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. According to this report, witnesses observed an oblong cloud moving more or less parallel to the horizon. Under this cloud could be seen a luminous object which soon became spherical, brilliantly lit, which came to a halt; This strange sphere seemed at first to be pale blue in colour but then its luminosity increased and soon it set off again towards the east. Then the object changed direction and moved parallel to the horizon before disappearing to the south-east ; the light it gave out was prodigious; it lit us everything on the ground.; The image was captured in this by Thomas Sandby (a founder of the Royal Academy) and his brother Paul, both of whom witnessed the event.

This is an illustration from a book "Ume No Chiri (Dust of Apricot)" published in 1803. A foreign ship and crew witnessed at Haratonohama (Haratono Seashore) in Hitachi no Kuni (Ibaragi Prefecture), Japan this strange object. According to the explanation in the drawing, the outershell was made of iron and glass, and strange letters shown in this drawing were seen inside the ship.

[edit on 3-11-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I live in Kent in England and not to far away from canterbury cathedral.
My eyes were certainly opened when i found a 14th century mural painted on the walls of these days depicting very clearly to me two reptile looking species brandishing weapons that looked very similar to what we we call lasar guns today.
The picture clearly shows the reptiles shooting humans and at the bottom of the picture it showed a reptiles head been cut off! So how would you explain that?
I have photo's but not able to get them on the site because only have them in photo form.
Why would they be painting such things and why a lizard?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
its quite clear that the "sun/moon" or "UFOs" in that painting are actually just flying jellyfish. There is always a simple explanation for these crazy theories.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Hi, i've found add this video which contains many "ancient ufos".

I know the website which Gazrok linked: is one of the best i've ever seen.

[edit on 13/9/2007 by internos]

new topics

top topics

join