It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Time Under A General Anesthetic.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I know I had a tonsillectomy as a child but other than that I've never been anesthetized for any reason and now I'm in my 40's.
I have to have dental surgery to remove a wisdom tooth (3-8) on Wednesday morning and they are going to put me out for the procedure.

THIS SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME.........
(I hope that doesn't happen while I'm under)

Has anyone been put under for anything???
What was it like and what should I expect???

I think I'm afraid that I won't wake up........... :shk:

[edit on 1/11/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I'll be going under for a biopsy next year. I had one without anasthetic and I think I need it this time. But I'm not scared of 'not waking up', I'm scared of waking up half way through and dazingly wondering "Why are these things in white coats doing things to me". I would imagine I'd panic, which could do some terrible damage while a camera is down your throat

D

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Basically you're awake one moment and the next thing you know you're waking up. It's not that bad, you'll just feel groggy.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
For tonsillectomy GA is necessary.
The people who do it are very expert, they know how to do it.
Just relax, have a good sleep on night before surgery.
Going under GA is very smooth and seamless. Once under GA you feel nothing. Arousal from GA is usually eventless, may be you feel some pain at the site of surgery, some dizziness, nausea; and then every thing gets just normal.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
For tonsillectomy GA is necessary.
The people who do it are very expert, they know how to do it.
Just relax, have a good sleep on night before surgery.
Going under GA is very smooth and seamless. Once under GA you feel nothing. Arousal from GA is usually eventless, may be you feel some pain at the site of surgery, some dizziness, nausea; and then every thing gets just normal.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I got anesthetized when I got my surgery on my arm. It was fine a little groggy and sick feeling after I woke up but other than that perfectly fine. No need to be scared.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Some people (me) have a really hard time coming out from under it. Nothing dangerous, you just wake up, and go back to sleep, and wake up and go back to sleep a few times. I had knee surgery a few years ago, and for me the worst part was getting the IV put in, because I couldn't eat for drink for so long before that I was dehydrated.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I've had it about 6 times. Like D said, you drift off real quick, not even enough time to think about it and then you're waking up.

I have asked for a warm blanket ahead of time because sometimes I'm chilled when I wake up.

Then you'll lay there (or go back to sleep) till it wears off, sometimes about 30 minutes and you'll be good to go.

I've had my wisdom teeth out. If you get Vicadin for the pain, be aware that it's very addictive. You want to keep on top of the pain, but in several days, when you find you're taking it because you want to feel the buzz instead of wanting to relieve the pain, it's time to back off a bit and get off of it.

Just my experience.

Don't be scared. It's a piece of cake.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I had a tooth removed three weeks ago under LOCAL anesthetic and it wasn’t that bad. I would have preferred however to be out for it though. I wouldn’t worry about it mate, my wife just did the same thing as you a few years ago and it was easy as cake. And like all the other posters say: Your out before you even know it, and you will most certainly wake up just fine. These things are as routine as it can be for these guys, like changing a set of tires for a mechanic: nothing to it.

If I were you, I spend all my time between now and then EATING EVERYTHING you won’t be able to eat afterwards, not worrying about a little nap

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
Basically you're awake one moment and the next thing you know you're waking up. It's not that bad, you'll just feel groggy.

It can't be put any better than this. It's like missing time. No reason to be anxious about it.

Peace

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
put to sleep?

I was 18 when I had mine taken out, just novacaine i am sure.

I think they dug out too much jaw bone though, I get cramps in my jaw and sometimes it locks, not all that fun.

the following week or two afterwards is going to suck, i hope they give you ample supply of vicodin or something equivlant.

and buy some gauss you'll need it to soak up the seeping blood.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
You all make me feel a little better about this.
I go under in appx. 16 hours and I know I'll worry until it's over.

But thanks again everyone for the information. I'll post after it's done and let you know if I'm alive.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It'll feel exactly like you took a nice nap. They may use gas, or an IV to put you out, then keep most likely keep a feed of demoral running into you. You will be provided with an oxygen tube, considering that your breathing will relax also. No biggie.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
They put in an IV and in no time at all the nurse was saying they were done.
I tend to worry about stuff like this but it was a breeze.
Thanks everyone....

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I had all of my wisdom teeth (I had 6 of 'em - must be why I'm so stupid now
) removed at the same time and all they did for me was the gas mask - no IV or any kind of shots unless they did local in my mouth after they gassed me.

I remember the whole procedure, felt no pain at all - I could tell that my head was being pushed around by the way my body was moving, but that was about it -

It was the day before Thanksgiving, so no turkey day for me that year - and there was Christmas music playing on the radio during the removal - I remember the nurses laughing at me for tapping my feet and humming to "jingle bells" while I was "under" -

I don't know if I was 'supposed' to be completely out or just in la-la land, but they were aware that I was aware of what was going on, and that didn't seem to bother them, so I guess I was just supposed to be numb instead of unconcious.

- - - - - - - - -

When I had my tonsils removed, I don't remember a thing - but you know how they tell you what you can and can't eat after something like that? Well I was eating a cheeseburger and Doritos the day after my tonsilectomy - yeee-haaaa! (hurt like hell, but they weren't about to keep me away from my junk-food
)

[edit on 11/2/05 by paulthefourth]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I've undergone a number of surgeries, including foot surgery, biopsy, and C-section.

I remember one time I was having some pretty humorous dreams while under GA.

Only thing I don't like about it--and some people have this reaction--a while after I come out of it I throw up. My most recent surgery was two years ago and I got that nauseous feeling and what helped was when I didn't try to fight it--I said, let's get it over with!

Other than that, it's a snap, really. They put this funny mask over your face and tell you to count backwards, and next thing you know you're in recovery.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Glad to hear that your alright. Nausea is a common side effect of general anethesia.

top topics

join