It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the rats beginning to jump ship? Danforth Criticizes Christian Sway in GOP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hmmmmmmm??????

I recall a brilliant OP/ED here on ATSNN that spoke of the comming rift within the GOP

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Former Sen. John Danforth said Wednesday that the political influence of evangelical Christians is hurting the Republican Party and dividing the country.

Danforth, a Missouri Republican and an Episcopal priest, commented after meeting with students at the Bill Clinton School of Public Service, a graduate branch of the University of Arkansas on the grounds of the Clinton presidential library.

"I think that the Republican Party fairly recently has been taken over by the Christian conservatives, by the Christian right," he said in an interview. "I don't think that this is a permanent condition, but I think this has happened, and that it's divisive for the country."

He also said the evangelical Christian influence would be bad for the party in the long run.
Iceberg Dead Ahead

To be fair he has been critical of this before most notably as noted in the article last June

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Fred the Republican party was taken over by the religious rights since the party started to lean to the religious rights to influence the conservative Christian American.

When you have Pat going public all full of confident about boasting that thanks to them Bush got elected it makes you wonder.

Occurs Pat say a lot of things all the time but look at what is going on is plain and has been plain since Bush is been in power the Christian groups and leader believe that they help Bush win the presidency because they are a force to be acknowledge and they have the power to do it.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I don't know what God the GOP worships nowadays...but my Bible tells me "blessed are the peacemakers."

If the GOP is Christian at all, I'd call it "Christianity Lite." Hearers of the Word (if they even listen) but not doers.

Of course, I'd think it would be more accurate to say that the god of the GOP (and the Dems for that matter) is MONEY.

Want a real Christian party, look at the Constitution Party.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It is one of the largest reasons that I usually vote Libertarian. I can't get myself to vote for somebody that wants their religion to be the measure of the law. Secular authority is not made to keep you holy, you must do that yourself.

GWB is about as polar opposite from me that you can get and still be within the same party. Like Dr. Ron Paul I registered republican in the hopes that more people like me would begin to take control of the caucuses. It was great to see it about half and half at our last local caucus, libertarian minds or the 'western republicans' are about to make a comeback, IMO.

top topics

join