It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flight Attendent Tells Off Sen. Burns (R-MT) on Behalf of 'Middle Class Living in Modern World'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sen. Conrad Burns (R- Montana) likes to do things like call Arabs "rag heads," complain about having to live with blacks in DC and hold tongue in racist cheek "slave auctions" for civil rights charities. He also likes to give gender specific advice to female flight attendents (that's "stewardesses" for the 21st century challenged) about how the solution to losing your job is to stay home and raise children.

Basically, he's an asshat. A real Republican.

Women accuse Burns of sexism
GreatFallsTribune.com
By DIANA MARRERO
Tribune Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — Sen. Conrad Burns' off-the-cuff remarks have gotten him in trouble in the past.

He once called Arabs "rag heads," later apologizing for the comment. Another time, the Montana Republican commented on how challenging it is to live with so many blacks in Washington.

Now, two Northwest Airlines flight attendants say Burns offended them recently when he told one of the women she could stay at home and be a mother if she lost her job to outsourcing.

"He's still living in the '50s," said Karen McElvaney, who is raising two young children in Atlanta while working for Northwest. "If I could stay home, I certainly would love to stay with my kids."

Burns, who is up for re-election next year, said Tuesday morning he did not recall the conversation. He later said through a spokesman that he remembered speaking to the flight attendants but never told one she could stay home with her children.

McElvaney said she approached the lawmaker with her concerns about outsourcing during a Sept. 25 flight from Great Falls to Minneapolis. When McElvaney asked what she would do if she lost her job, Burns replied she could stay home and be a mother, she said.

McElvaney did not reply.

But Kari Johnke-Henzler, a flight attendant from Minneapolis, who listened to the exchange, said she told Burns what both she and McElvaney were thinking: "I am a mother. However, I need to support my family."

The two women, both longtime Northwest employees, said many families can no longer rely solely on a husband's income.

McElvaney repeated the story to another Northwest flight attendant, Jaime Drain, who has a penchant for writing letters to public officials.

"Before you sit in judgment and make such ignorant statements, you really should stop and remember that we don't all live in a Leave it to Beaver world," Drain wrote in a Sept. 28 letter to Burns. "Perhaps it's time for you, Senator Burns, to retire and stay home since it's obvious to me that you have absolutely no concept of what it's like to be a middle-class average working American living in the modern world."

Drain sent a copy of the letter to several Montana newspapers, including the Great Falls Tribune. Burns said he has not seen the letter.

A Chicago-area union member, Drain had been writing to several congressmen about the perils of outsourcing American labor. Northwest Airlines, which recently filed for bankruptcy, has said it needs to come up with $1.4 billion in annual savings from labor costs and has begun outsourcing some jobs.

Burns' spokesman, James Pendleton, said the senator is also very concerned about outsourcing and plans to address the issue during a committee hearing next month.

Roslyn Ridgeway, president of Business and Professional Women USA, a Washington-based group that promotes equity for women in the workplace, said Burns' comments were "a disservice to working women all over America."

"His remarks underscore the challenges working women continue to face in our society," she said.

His remarks also underscore the complete disconnect to the middle class rank and file Republicans have been sending to Washington. Things change though. Thank God.

[edit on 26-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Come on Republicans, aren't you going to defend your man? This is so sad. I thought Democrats weren't suppose to have spines, yet Republicans prove that wrong.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
She is a freaking flight attendent. She needs to shut up and do her job. If I were her boss, I would fire her on the spot for bothering the passengers.

Remember she, while at work, approached him.

Put yourself in the Congressman's position. What would you do if a flight attendent approached you and asked "What will I do if I lose my job?". I'd probably tell her to get another one. That is what "middle class average Americans" do.

What did she expect?

The whole thing was most likely blown out of proportion. When you have a hardcore Union member feigning outrage, stuff like this is usually the result.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Isn't a congressman ALWAYS on the job? Being elected and all.

Or does he get to put on his sexual harassment uniform when he clocks out of his 9-5 job. "Them womens, they needs to be barefoot and preggers in the kitchen, making MA POT PIES".

GET R DUN

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
The whole thing was most likely blown out of proportion.

Yeah, stuff keeps getting blown out of proportion every time this guy opens his mouth.

Earlier comments by Burns have drawn similar criticism.

Five years ago, he offended a Billings woman when he pointed to her nose ring and asked her what tribe she was from.

The year before, Burns had to apologize for calling Arabs "rag heads" while commenting on oil prices.

During his first re-election campaign in 1994, he told a local newspaper editor it was a "hell of a challenge" living with so many African-Americans in Washington.

And in 1991, he shocked lobbyists when he invited them to a slave auction after voting for a civil rights bill. Burns said his comments had been misinterpreted because he was talking about a charity fundraising event known as a "slave auction."

This guy makes Jesse Helms look, no Jesse Helms was still worse.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
"What tribe are you from". OMG I'm still laughing my buttocks off!

It seems people are just looking to be offended.

If I was approached by anyone asking what they should do if they lost their job. I would suggest they find another one. All he did was suggest that she could stay home. I don't see any big deal in that.

What bothers me is a "letter writing union freak" took up her cause, which was actually his cause in the first place.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
She is a freaking flight attendent. She needs to shut up and do her job. If I were her boss, I would fire her on the spot for bothering the passengers.

Remember she, while at work, approached him.

Put yourself in the Congressman's position. What would you do if a flight attendent approached you and asked "What will I do if I lose my job?". I'd probably tell her to get another one. That is what "middle class average Americans" do.

What did she expect?

The whole thing was most likely blown out of proportion. When you have a hardcore Union member feigning outrage, stuff like this is usually the result.

Does any one else find it ironic how on one hand this character condemns this woman because she didn't "shut up and do her job" while on the other he supports this public employee because he didn't shutup and do his job?

Maybe Mr. *expletive deleted* Senator should shut up and do his job and actually listen to the concerns of his constituents rather then dismissing them out of hand......

Seriously what an ass.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

His remarks also underscore the complete disconnect to the middle class rank and file Republicans have been sending to Washington. Things change though. Thank God.

His comments might not be a sign of a disconnect that he has with middle class rank and file republican voters. Perhaps he is echoing how the rank and file voters of Montana feel about certain things.

As far as the airline attendents go; from what I could gather from the article they do not live in the state of Montana so the senator Burns doesn't realy owe them the time of day in my opinion. They have their own representatives that they can contact to voice their concerns. They need to concentrate on doing their damn jobs and serving the passengers instead.

And as far as his comments about the person wearing the nose ring goes--if you want to wear a nose ring that is your business, more power to ya---but dont feel hurt or surprised if someone ask you "what tribe are you from?", when you present yourself that way in public. What do you expect?

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I am part of the Middle Class living in the modern world. My wife is a homemaker. We had to make some sacrifice in order to have her there for our children. This assumption that nobody can make it is more often than not an unwillingness to sacrifice. Those who can see no other way than both parents working often are not looking for a solution but majic that would allow them to stay at home and keep all of their fine stuff. Sometimes it is more important to seek a solution for yourself than to expect the government to always provide the solution.

There is strength in all people if they seek it, this woman wanted hers to be provided for her.

Government largesse is not a proper measure of the compassion of people.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

His remarks also underscore the complete disconnect to the middle class rank and file Republicans have been sending to Washington.

Let me guess, according to RANT, one lone Republican running his mouth is representative of the entire Republican party base?

How ironic, then again, pretty 'a' typical coming from you RANT.

Would that be like me asserting that your running off with rabid assertions is representative of the entire Democrat party base? That perhaps Dean is representative of the entire Democrat party base? That John Kerry is representative of the entire Democrat party base? Pelosi? Kennedy? Any others I left out?

seekerof

[edit on 24-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

His remarks also underscore the complete disconnect to the middle class rank and file Republicans have been sending to Washington.

Let me guess, according to RANT, one lone Republican running his mouth is representative of the entire Republican party base?

Like I said, it's underscores the complete disconnect to the middle class that rank and file Republicans have been sending to Washington.

Like this one...screaming in the halls at our school superintendents "You need me more I need you!"

Mutli-millionare Robin Hayes needs a fifth term in Washington like the Republican Party needs more scandal.

I'm quoting the little local conservative paper when it says "When it was all said and done, the one thing that was very clear was just how out of touch Washington is with rural America."

So no, not at all one lone Republican. All of them. Probably most of Washington, but definitely the Republicans in office. Just look at their lock step votes trying to engineer the middle class out of existence.

And when they open their mouths try hearing what they say Seekerof instead of just what you want to hear.

The Republican Party to America: "You need me more than I need you."

[edit on 24-12-2005 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
One problem with her being fired for saying that, the flight attendants union, the courts, and every sensible person would be one your case. Did you ever think that most of the passengers were on her side? She expected to get an honest (lie) answer from this Senator on what he thought of her working. Maybe, just maybe, Senator Burns needs to spend some time with Ice Cube and the N.W.A. in and around Compton, California.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Maybe, just maybe, Senator Burns needs to spend some time with Ice Cube and the N.W.A. in and around Compton, California.

Why would he want to do something like that for?

He is a Senator from Montana.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
Isn't a congressman ALWAYS on the job? Being elected and all.

Or does he get to put on his sexual harassment uniform when he clocks out of his 9-5 job. "Them womens, they needs to be barefoot and preggers in the kitchen, making MA POT PIES".

GET R DUN

LMAO!

Nice touch!

I don't think this underscores how disconnected the right is, so much as it shows how disconnected ALL of them are. And by 'them' I mean anyone in our government today that isn't in there to serve the party agenda, and is actually in there for a good cause. And that leaves, so far as I know, an independent Vermont Congressman, and Vermont is calling for secession anyway so you know those guys actually do have their heads screwed on straight and realize something's up here that you aren't going to fix with either a republican OR democrat.

The whole system is messed up, and yet it is reduced to petty bickering between two parties whose differences are minute at best when it comes to the real problems with this country today. If it helps any, I can sum it up for you guys pretty quickly by saying that the democrats are distant, pseudo-intellectual snobs, total snobs, that defocate small, hard rocks, and the republicans are uncaring, dimwitted and sick warmongers that won't have their crude egos satisfied until they've had mutilated and robbed everyone they feel so much as a minor, baseless dislike towards.

I think that sums up the polarizing feelings with which the media beats around the bush; those seem to be the thoughts that they want you guys to have, but only for one party - not both, to keep you from taking a minute to look at the big picture and seeing what both of them have done to this country. Like I said, the old dude from Vermont seems to be the only one with his head screwed on straight. Woo.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The whole system is messed up, and yet it is reduced to petty bickering between two parties whose differences are minute at best when it comes to the real problems with this country today.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

This Burns character needs to find himself a new job. We've all heard his out-of-line comments before, and unfortunately, we're probably going to hear them again.....

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
IMH this is just another case of the media creating a story where there isnt one. The person in question has a democratic right to express her views.

However If I was an American I would having a word in a politicans ear as well.
The Bush admin abandons people in favour of hand outs to corporations. The general population should always come before small minorty issues.

[edit on 29-12-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I don't understand how much logic this burns guy has? He tells her to just stay at home and do nothing? I mean what? How is that going to help the money situation? Maybe I misinterpreted what he said, but to me it sounded really stupid.

If I was him (If I was I would shoot myself) I would take the opportunity to show everyone in the airplane how good that I am as a senator and how good my party is.(in real life i hate his party) But no, what does he do? He tells her a whole bunch of BS and makes himself look at lot worse than he already does in the first place. What a looser.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by No1tovote4
I am part of the Middle Class living in the modern world. My wife is a homemaker. We had to make some sacrifice in order to have her there for our children. This assumption that nobody can make it is more often than not an unwillingness to sacrifice. Those who can see no other way than both parents working often are not looking for a solution but majic that would allow them to stay at home and keep all of their fine stuff. Sometimes it is more important to seek a solution for yourself than to expect the government to always provide the solution.

There is strength in all people if they seek it, this woman wanted hers to be provided for her.

Government largesse is not a proper measure of the compassion of people.

and, if the loss of her income was enough to put this family on the welfare roles, the repbulicans would still be griping!!!! Wish they would make up their danged minds!! do they want us out there fending for ourselves....ie.....making money to buy what we need by having jobs.....or do they want us dependent, helpless little creatures subject to the winds of fate, very often being blown into the welfare lines....

as for what this women should do if she happens to lose her job, well, it's obvious, she should tell this senator and his republican buddies where to go and immediately find another job.

by the way, I couldn't have a job when my kids were younger. I couldn't earn enough to pay for the childcare, and well, my husband's income was a little too high for us to get that nice subsidized childcare his taxmoney was helping pay for for everyone else....
well, I can say one thing that my kids have as an advantage to so many other people in the us today.....they know what it's like to go hungry, to not have all that they need, let alone what they want, they've been cold in the winter, and hot in the summer, as well as sick and with no medicine, they've been picked on and harasses by their welfare counterparts for the handmedown clothes and other obvious signs that they were "inferior" in some way...

hey, when this economy goes bust, and people are cold, hungry, unable to go runnig out to walmart to by that new dress and pair of shoes for that one time shabang, well, my kids will be used to it, won't be nothing that they haven't already been through, they'll be continuing on, while so many others are gonna be in a state of shock for a very long time.

the assumtion that for a women to give up her job would only lead to them having to give up a few "luxuries" is an error, and an insult!! In some cases it's a matter of weather a child can have healthcare, or heat in the winter, or food on the table, good food, ya know, a balanced diet. clothing, school supplies, medicine, ect. ect.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Funny that this thread did not call my attention in the beginning but it has now.

I will said that regardless of the issue with the Fly attendance I will have to point out that Senator Burns R-MT will never change his persona.

He is Racist, white male that consider himself the epitome of What a republican conservative should be and believe on

This people are in our politics in both sides and many hide behind the smiles and Equality they still the same inside.

Is not that they are living in the past, but rather that they hope to bring back in the future the Christian rights of supremacy believes given to them by God itself.

Because believe it or not they consider themself very God fearing people.

In their minds is only one group of chosen ones in earth and every body else do not belong in that world they are to be the servants and slaves.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Basically, he's an asshat. A real Republican.

Now RANT. Are you saying all Republicans are like that?

Comeon. That's as bad as the neocons who say all
democrats are communists.

tsk tsk

[edit on 1-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

top topics

join