It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Urantia Book

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Who knows this book. It's alledged channeled material written in the first half of the 20th century. Claims to know the exact birthdate and day Jesus was born. It has his whole biographhy, including the missing years.
It also says that he constantly said: "The kingdom of God is within".

It also claims to have the history of the Earth and of humans. I read some if it a few years back.

www.urantia.org...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Thanks for the exposure to interesting material Bandit.

What People Are Saying About The Urantia Book:

"You can be sure that there are scores of enthusiastic readers now determined, more than ever, to work at the wise dissemination of 'Le Livre d'URANTIA' through libraries and bookstores. Now that we are provided with books, we can follow the path already set by the Brotherhood, plus the accumulated momentum, to contribute to the spreading of new and well grounded study groups and to the spiritual enhancement and enlightenment of our part of 606."

I didn't go any further with ordering procedures or assessment of any cult components of this group, but the angles you mentioned are interesting.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Dear bandit

I am reading the urantia book right now, I found your post hehehehe because I wanted to create a new one!
Is it a MUST READ for people of any religion or any faith! people check it out! It will open your mind, soul and spirit

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It might be a problem with a lack of discernment on my part, a spiritual grossness maybe. Whatever the reason, a few years ago I inspected this famous book at the public library and was overwhelmed by the intricate prose. It was like standing before a gigantic cathedral conceived in the baroque style, with every square inch covered by a swirl. Throughout the book there is a predictable sameness: wherever you open it you find a monotonous stream of empty rhetoric, useless and senseless, and a fantastic collection of impressive names. I was unable to come across so much as a single passage that would have made me think, "How true...how deep...what a wonderful thought!" When I finally gave up, closed the book and went on to something else it was like rushing out of a madhouse that shook with thousands of screams. It is the nearest thing to The Book of Mormon I have ever found.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I would stay far away from this book if you looking to develop any type of religious spirituality...from what some people have studied it seems more subliminaly satanic refrencing throughtout the book...beware

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Very interesting. Took a look around the Urantia website and found an online version to read at www.urantia.org... It is just over 2000 pages long though, so you'd better have lots of time on your hands if you want to read it! Personally, I don't believe in channeling, so I'm extremely skeptical over the supposed origins of this book, but it would probably be an interesting read nonetheless.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Amelia, did you ever finish the book? If so, how did it go? I think I've read about a quarter of the contents so far.

MaskedAvatar, what is this "Brotherhood" you speak of? ...and what is 606? Point me to a thread if there is one.

Macrento, The Urantia Book isn't definitely overwhelming. It's written at a college sophomore/junior reading level, so if you're interested in reading it, I'd suggest doing so with a dictionary, a clear mind, and most importantly enthusiasm or at least an abiding interest. Otherwise, it quickly gets dull. The same can be said of many religious texts. I've heard a lot of the same arguments you've made about The Urantia Book thrown at the Bible and it's in the top seller list, so that's not much of an excuse. It just makes you a lazy reader.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The really good thing about the "Fifth Epochal Revelation," is that it is a book, take or leave it. You do not have to be trapped by one preacher's take on things at a given time, you read it yourself and in study groups without having some overbearing "authority," telling you how to read it.

For me it became a "bliss book," recharging the batteries if you will every time. The important idea is to know God as a loving father. That is surely the best message of any belief.

In our age one cannot say "loving Father," but have some impersonal Gaia or other new age thing, or some endless battle of useless "good verses evil," when it is really about knowing the very Father of all Eternity lives in each of us. It is only up to us to respect that. The feminine principle is acknowledged here also.

[edit on 31-5-2007 by SkipShipman]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I am told it was written by an E.T./other worldly source written under an anoymonous name.I recommend the book, I have it in my posession and is very accurate.It will break down the Whole makeup of lifes central governments.

[edit on 31-5-2007 by menguard]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I agree with the basics of what has been said here.

I won't suppose that I know exactly what the book is trying to say. Everyone has their own interpretations, but seeing as it is written at a college sophomore/junior reading level, it goes into a lot of detail that gets more clear and understandable as you go along. By no means is it an easy read. After all, it's over 2000 pages. You probably won't even be able to speed read it over night, and if you did, I doubt you'd get much more than an overview out of it. This is the sort of thing that takes an entire life's study to really know whether you can accept or reject it. For people who don't want to take that time, you are perfectly justified in saying you don't want to deal with it. After all, it's not like your salvation depends on it.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I actually had the book at one time and it just mysteriously disappeared. It's a shame since I spent over 40 dollars to purchase the book.

To be honest, from what I read of the book, which was a little over 300 pages, I was bored to death. There was nothing that I read from it that intrigued me much. It just gave some dry explanation of the "history" of the earth and the cosmos.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It would be great if we could have an on-going discussion of some of the material in The Urantia Book. I'm going to skim back over its pages again just to refresh my memory, but the cosmology presented in this book, at least based on my own experiences, rings true for me (not all of it but a lot of it).

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I also have the book though I, too, have only read portions here and there so far. At times, I get the urge to pick it up and read a section or two. I have a feeling it will indeed be one of those books that I have for life and refer back to from time to time. My understanding is that it is supposedly channeled information of extraterrestrial origin. Whether that is true or not is really not important to me. What matters personally is whether or not parts of it feel or sound "right" regardless of its origins. I feel the tone is very positive and uplifting somehow and that appeals to me very much.

Interestingly, I also read somewhere online that Jackie Gleason was very intrigued by the topic of extraterrestrial life and owned the book as well. I read this sometime ago so if I come across it again I will list the link.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by trek315

Interestingly, I also read somewhere online that Jackie Gleason was very intrigued by the topic of extraterrestrial life and owned the book as well. I read this sometime ago so if I come across it again I will list the link.

Jackie Gleason owned thousands of Metaphysical books. I read somewhere that his collection could have filled an entire library.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Is there a copy of this Urantia book online or something?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechnoFan21

Yeah, I am pretty certain that you can get it at Amazon.com, or, you may just want to go to your nearest book store and go to the metaphysical section. Most bookstores have it in their metaphysics section. Bookstop has the largest metaphysical book section I think I have ever encountered; you may want to try there or a Barnes and Noble.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Actually, I know for a fact you can get it at Amazon, click the link.

Urantia

[edit on 28-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechnoFan21

Right here

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Yes, it is true that you can get read the book at www.urantia.org... or buy a copy at Amazon.com (or about any bookseller for that matter). Do whatever suits you best. I also think it would be interesting to have a conversation about the material in the book, but where do you start? There are quite a few topics:

• Christianity vs. Urantia Book's Jesus
  • Historical research vs. Urantia Book's proposed version
  • Scientific data (various topics) vs. Urantia Book's science
  • ...and so on...

Just within those categories, you can really break things down, so I'm sure someone could create their own forum on it, but I haven't ever found a good one.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Hey Guys,

Working at the mo so I can't write too much - didn't look if this is a super old thread but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

I actually bought two copies of this book online, after reading it for almost a year beforehand. I think this book absolutely rocks, I gotta agree with Amelia 100% - its changed my outlook on so many things, I have found it to be the most illuminating book I've ever read.

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding it, glad to help out.

Jay

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join