It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's God like? Can you describe Him/Her ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
God is omniscient. God is love. God is all powerful. These are all descriptions of God. But, frankly, I heard these descriptions a long time ago when I was a kid in Catholic School. Do these descriptions still hold up for me? Well, not exactly. My view of God has changed over the years.

What's your view of God? Can you describe him/her? Can you apply any descriptions to his character? Is God really love? Or can you also define God as hateful or even evil? I'm curious to see what others think of God.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You mean the pre-Jesus fire and brimstone God, or the post Jesus warm and fuzzy God???

Personally, I think the Oh God! movies was a PERFECT portrayal of how the idea of how God SHOULD be....

The most poignant moment...when the little girl asks God "Why do bad things happen", and he replies that he never figured out how to make something without two sides...can't have light without dark, good without bad, love without hate, etc.

If THAT was the kind of explanation I got in Sunday school, I'd probably still be a Christian today, hehe....

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
IMHO there are no words, no method of truly describing what God is like, omniscient and all powerful are just ways for us to relate somehow. I dont think that there is any hate/evil in God at all, and I do think that he is the essence of love.

Just for a moment imagine that you may someday witness in a physical form the creator of all around you, descending from the heavens, really try to put yourself in that situation...now how would you describe your feeling about him?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
God is.

Anything else is a human attempt at personifying a concept that may seem alien without any adjectives.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer
God is.

Anything else is a human attempt at personifying a concept that may seem alien without any adjectives.

Personally, I would have to totally agree with you. We have no words, not even the ability to grasp the enormity of the concept of God. But why do try to personify God? Do we say that God is all good and all love so that He might, somehow, take pity on us so that he might not destroy us?
How did we ever come to conclusion that God was "all knowing", "all powerful"? Do we really know this? By our very act of lableling God, aren't we imposing limits, of sorts, on this Supreme Being?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well if you can believe that God created everything than describing him as all powerful and all knowing is a pretty accurate way to help us fathom things, but it doesn't do him justice by any means.

But I really think that most humans have an inherent curiousity with higher powers, and with that present your going to have many different theories, just like some 100% believe there are life on other planets, even though we have no way of knowing atm and probably wont anytime soon.

I really can't describe in words why I believe what I do about God, its like life has been a huge jigsaw puzzle to me, I can't quite make out what I'm looking at but when I picked up a Bible it was like I was shown a complete picture, a lot of things just make sense now, I understand things in a way I can't relate.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I do love this thought! Beyond what is written about God I like to imagine as if I was god...

If you are God you are a possibility of anything

You can be 100% dark or a 100% light
You can be 100% evil or a 100% good
etc etc

To have something not be nothing and appreciate the creation you need two sides as above. Yet as you learn you can still have two sides and be one. As in life I can be 100% evil or 100% good I think it is easy to be 100% good or happy most of the time. I also belive it is your evolution to liv ethis light to be able to appreciate the next. I must die to live I must have been sad to see how happy I can be, I must sin to see how bad it is...

I would fear being God if you are truth of everything that would be boring so the magic of freewill is beauty. If he lives through our eyes or watches from above he can experience many things. However I imagine he is psychic so he would have to set a law of not seeing the future for himself no?

All I know is why is the point of a pissed off God? I mean he created us we mock him in everyday life of creation etc I like to think must of US are not pissed and hatful why should he/it/us? Plus I think people who judge are shallow. I still can't blame my mom and dad for judging bad stuff I did was a kid but with my parents they gave me lessons to find the proper way, would God not do the same?

I ramble a lot I bet God does to!

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I believed God described himself best when he said

I AM

top topics

join