It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any official response to the Wilbert B. Smith memo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Has there been any official response to the Wilbert B. Smith memo, either critique or otherwise?
I'm thinking since the memo makes a fairly "wild" claim in that "Flying Saucers exist"

Also, another thing: did the MJ12 documents appear before of after the surfacing of the Wilbert B. Smith memo?

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phood

Has there been any official response to the Wilbert B. Smith memo, either critique or otherwise?

Apparently Project Magnet was the official response to the W.B. Smith Memo.

I'm thinking since the memo makes a fairly "wild" claim in that "Flying Saucers exist"

Apparently Project Magnet successfully registered a UFO with what appears to be a Project Hessdalen type Instrument Alarm system.

www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk...

I'll have to look into this more for sure.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I believe the Smith Memo came up before the MJ-12 documents. It doesnt nreally matter though. Dr. Robert Sarbacher confirmed everything in the memo, as he was Smith's contact. And Sarbacher is a well known highly respected scientist who has worked on many government projects who had personal and professional ties to a few of the MJ-12 members. He more or less at least confirmed the existance of a working group that was run by Vannavar Bush, though he didnt know the name.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I believe the Smith Memo came up before the MJ-12 documents. It doesnt nreally matter though. Dr. Robert Sarbacher confirmed everything in the memo, as he was Smith's contact. And Sarbacher is a well known highly respected scientist who has worked on many government projects who had personal and professional ties to a few of the MJ-12 members. He more or less at least confirmed the existance of a working group that was run by Vannavar Bush, though he didnt know the name.

Ok, cool. Still it would be good if the Smith memo surfaced after the MJ12 documents, since it would more or less, (further) confirm the MJ12 group.

Thanks both

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman

Originally posted by Phood

Apparently Project Magnet was the official response to the W.B. Smith Memo.

Apparently Project Magnet successfully registered a UFO with what appears to be a Project Hessdalen type Instrument Alarm system.

www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk...

I'll have to look into this more for sure.

I realized I think you misunderstood my question, or I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that if some official person (general, senator, president?) had ever commented on the Smith memo, especially the statement: "Flying Saucers Exist"?
I was thinking that they should have come up with something to explain it away

[edit on 23-10-2005 by Phood]

[edit on 23-10-2005 by Phood]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Heh, anyone? Gazrok?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
"Has there been any official response to the Wilbert B. Smith memo, either critique or otherwise?"

not that I'm aware of.

The Smith Memo was given to Stanton Friedman by a Canadian researcher before he received the mj -12 papers. Dr. Sarbacher confirmed that there were studies that looked into the ufos, naming many Mj12 members but as was said, never named the group.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
More questions...

What else is known about the shutting down of the station near Ottawa so closely after the reports of an encounter there?

Also, Dr. Smith appears to have died at a very young age. What was the reported cause of death?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
He Died of cancer of the lower bowel.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Skadi's pretty much already given you the answer...

BTW, many of the MJ-12 documents may be bogus. Not all perhaps, but some are likely fakes. Check www.majesticdocuments.com for some authenticity likelihoods....

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Gazrok,

I stand by the veracity of the EBD and SOM only. Though they have been attacked, I find they scream of legitimacy. Either way, they were given to us by someone high up with motives, and that alone makes them interesting.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I started looking into Wilbert B. Smith because I came across a website making allegations about Smith believing he was making contact with what he called “The boys from topside”. Here are the allegations:

This is a very curious document. Of all the documents obtained through the FOIA, this one came closest to "proving" government activity in covering up the existence of UFOs. It wasn't until research revealed that Smith was a very unreliable source of information, that interest in this memo faded.

Smith had long exhibited signs of "mental disturbance". He had been known to sit in his orchard with a tape recorder, so that when the "Space Brothers Topside" came down, he could record his interview with them.

Smith did not have the authority to stamp any documents Top Secret, and was not working on any Top Secret projects. However, he had been known to stamp even his personal papers Top Secret.

The Smith memorandum is not considered to be a real top secret document worthy of study by very many people in UFOlogy.

from www.roswellfiles.com...
(upper right hand corner)

I don't think the first part is right because the document wasn’t released through the FOIA. Smith worked in the Canadian Dept. of Transportation (DOT), and not the US government so it would not fall under the FOIA. The Canadian DOT was responsible for investigating UFO reports. The memo came from a Canadian official in 1980.

But apparently Smith did make claims of contact with aliens, and here are some quotes from him:

“Certain officials in my government are aware of my contact with these people and are willing to let me play it my way.” (Keyhoe letter 1955)

“We have been in touch with one group of the space people. They know of Alan (Dan Fry’s alien) but they are not directly associated with him. Apparently, the time for us is very short and there are several groups who have an interest in the outcome. Most of them are friendly, but there is at least one group that is bent on exploitation. These later have a base near North Bay.” (Gesner letter 1955)

“I also have had experience with these folks ability to project mental pictures etc. I have been shown quite a few of their machine elements. Television, cloth etc, as well as some of their manufacturing methods. I must say that in general they are much simpler, more direct and ever so much more efficient than ours. It all stems from a better knowledge of physics, which we just kid ourselves that we have and don’t. I am naturally itching to make up some of the things, but I am told to have patience, that the time is not yet right.” (Gesner letter 1955)

from www.presidentialufo.com...

This was during the “contact era” and he was also communicating with none other than George Adamski.

To Adamski in 1955 "We are in contact with AFFA, and others of his group. I have had many long and interesting exchanges with him, and have found him totally consistent and way beyond me in mental powers."

from www.presidentialufo.com...

There was also a book titled “The Boys from Topside” from Saucerian (publisher?) in 1969 under the author (pen) name Susy Smith, but this was after he died. I wasn’t able to find much more on the book, except it is somewhat rare.

www.recycledradio.com... (scroll down to Smith)

So it is starting to look like the allegations are true, I’m sorry to say. I would conclude that he was a serious scientist, and was very active in UFO research, but this brings into question his credibility.

I think the Smith memo still confirms that Vannevar Bush was heading a secret group in the US government (MJ12), but a skeptic would argue the part about “flying saucers exist” statement was more of a belief than fact.

Just thought I would share this info, and maybe others can dig into this a little more.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
"...because the document wasn’t released through the FOIA" == Hal

Yet I have seen this comment in multiple places. Its not impossible to find non-US documents
in the FOIA stuff. If true, the curio here is how it got there to begin with.

"he was also communicating with none other than George Adamski" == Hal

Another curio. I see a potential parallel with Richard Doty playing a "George Adamski"
role with Paul Bennewitz. When I get the time, it looks like an interesting area to collect
the "space brother" types together, along with their influential contacts, and get some
kind of handle on their unusual "mental disturbance".

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I am not a believer in this stuff but i did some digging,not sure if this is what your talking about, but it definately is a good read,fact or fiction? spooky stuff

'Apparently, there are quite a few groups of space people operating in the vicinity of this planet, and while they have knowledge of each other they do not engage in extensive interchange of ideas. Some of them are working for the benefit of the human race, others to fulfil a "plan", and still others are merely "tourists". Something drastic is due to happen here shortly and I suppose it is natural that people would flock here to observe it"

www.rexresearch.com...

new topics

top topics

join