It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Citizens Fighting with Iraqi Insurgency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
CBC Newsworld just reported on their 9pm broadcast that the Director of CSIS has made comments in Montreal tonight that a single digit number of Canadian Citizens are fighting on the side of the insurgents in Iraq.

www.cbc.ca
The broadcast will be available on the net at 11:30 ET and it's the lead story. I have not yet found any written sources on this breaking story.

Will update when available.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well.... what can I say...

Apparently, there is nothing that can legally be done to stop these people from going to Iraq other than to identify them for the US.

Canada is not involved in Iraq but apparently some citizens are.

Just remember - single digits - not all Canadians.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by asala]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well, how can we forget our own Johnny Walker?

(golf clap)

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The CBC now has a written story:

James Judd, the director of CSIS, revealed Thursday evening that some of the foreign fighters in Iraq battling coalition troops are Canadians.

Speaking to reporters at a break during a security conference in Montreal, Judd was asked if Canadians were in Iraq fighting against the American-led coalition. "Yes, I believe so," he said.

He said there weren't many, "we're talking single digit numbers." But he said "we're aware of several others who are contemplating leaving."

"In some instances we found out about it after the fact, and to the extent that we did have some certainty about it we would want to advise our friends and allies," said the CSIS director.

According to Keith Boag, the CBC's Ottawa bureau chief, the Prime Minister's Office was "flabbergasted" that such sensitive information could be released by the head of the spy agency. "They didn't know it was being spoken about publicly and for that they [the PMO] are very angry."

Acknowledgment that Canadians are fighting in Iraq raises a number of questions, such as what will their status be if they decide to return to Canada.
CBC Story

So it looks like the PMO may have already been aware of it and the head of CSIS spilled the beans. This should get interesting.

What do you do with these people if they ever return to Canada?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Since there are a lot of Iraqis living in Canada, it does not surprise me that some might even want to return and get involved.

I am discouraged that this puts Canadians into direct confrontation with the American forces operating there...it's not what I'd personally like to see.
However, I can only tell Americans who read this, that these people are putting Iraq before Canada and it makes me wonder why they bothered to become Canadian citizens.

I became a Canadian when I was 16, participated in the Canadian Army for a number of years and would never have entertained breaking my Oath of Allegiance to fly overseas and participate in an action which was not condoned by my country.

Whoever these guys are...they are either mercenaries or Iraqi expats who broke their oath.

[edit on 20-10-2005 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Wow! This is an eye-opener. I'm surprised that this thread hasn't gotten more attention.

They must be Iraqi expats. I can't imagine a plaid-shirt-wearing, Molsons-drinking lumberjack being welcomed into the insurgency.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
My feelings are as already posted. Why become Canadians in the first place .
I'm not in favour of the war, but I do stand behind the troops fighting it.

The word Traitor comes to mind and they should be dealt with as such.

Canadians my a$$!

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Grailkeeper]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, they are on their own...

Eye for an Eye is just stupidity no matter what side you happen to sympathize with.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I'm disappointed that even a handful of Canadian citizens choose to fight for the insurgents. They probably worked hard to get into Canada and become a citizen, only to return to the turmoil. So much for making a better life.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Canadian Citizens, are not fighting with the iraqi insurgency, Neither was That walker clown in afghanistan, who was called and American citizen, They Gave up the right to be called either when they sided with the enemy, Shoot em and get it over with.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Canadian Citizens, are not fighting with the iraqi insurgency, Neither was That walker clown in afghanistan, who was called and American citizen, They Gave up the right to be called either when they sided with the enemy, Shoot em and get it over with.

I think you're missing the point C0le, we are NOT at war with Iraq. Therefore they are not the enemy. If they choose to return I don't see as how anything could be done to them.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
But on the other hand if they are caught or killed it's not our problem either.
I do not consider them Traitors as a state of war was never declared between
our two countries, but if solid evidance of war crimes comes out for these people
then they should be punished all the same.

Traitor=Not in my eyes, though I am disappointed they chose the path of violence.

War Criminal=Quite possibly would have to wait until any allegations and evidance
comes to light.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Wouldn't they then be considered 'Canadian Citizens' at war with the US if they choose to fight for the opposing side? Automatic inclusion or 'guilt by association' sort of thing.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Wow! This is an eye-opener. I'm surprised that this thread hasn't gotten more attention.

They must be Iraqi expats. I can't imagine a plaid-shirt-wearing, Molsons-drinking lumberjack being welcomed into the insurgency.

nope, you can only imagine the Budweiser drinking, illiterate, jesus monger, with no teeth?

[edit on 25-10-2005 by asala]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
What do you do with these people if they ever return to Canada?

Arrest them, interrogate them, and then execute them. Then start arresting their contacts. Rinse, lather, repeat.

If they choose to return I don't see as how anything could be done to them.

The US and Canada have strategic relations, fighting against one would warrant being turned over to the other. Also, Canada is part of Britains Dominion, and Britian is in the Iraq War. And as someone else pointed out, merely fighting in a war not under the service of Canada is illegal, as it is in the US, tho thats not a statute applied too often.

Wouldn't they then be considered 'Canadian Citizens' at war with the US if they choose to fight for the opposing side?

Either they're not canadian citizens, or they are, but since they're at war with the US, Canada is going to have to turn them over.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Also, Canada is part of Britains Dominion, and Britian is in the Iraq War. And as someone else pointed out, merely fighting in a war not under the service of Canada is illegal, as it is in the US, tho thats not a statute applied too often.

Canada is part of the Commonwealth but is an independant country, this doesn't apply imo.

I don't think that the second part does either, they are not engaged in activities against Canada. Why can't citizens fight independant to their nation? Happens all the time, mercenaries. As long as it isn't against their home country, what's the problem?

I'm not justifying what they're doing, just explaining that this isn't as cut and dry as it may seem.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
And as someone else pointed out, merely fighting in a war not under the service of Canada is illegal, as it is in the US, tho thats not a statute applied too often.

Interesting topic and one I wish I could spend more time on. Darn work!

If Canada did not prosecute men who went to the States to fight in Vietnam War, which we were not involved in, how can we justify prosecuting these men for doing the same thing?

Would that not make us hypocrites?

new topics

top topics

join