It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filling a pool with oil.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I could be wrong but I think the way they explore for oil is that they drill a hole, drop some dynamite in it, and study the seismic reaction?

Sounds like guesswork to me.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
I could be wrong but I think the way they explore for oil is that they drill a hole, drop some dynamite in it, and study the seismic reaction?

Sounds like guesswork to me.

Yes, you are wrong.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
They were recently searching for oil in my area. They were detonating dynamite and were asking people to turn off cell phones so they dont intefere with their remote detonators (unfortunately one worker lost his life becuase of a delayed explosion)

I doubt it's the only way to search for oil but that's the only reason I can see why they would be detonating dynamite in the area.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
They were recently searching for oil in my area. They were detonating dynamite and were asking people to turn off cell phones so they dont intefere with their remote detonators (unfortunately one worker lost his life becuase of a delayed explosion)

I doubt it's the only way to search for oil but that's the only reason I can see why they would be detonating dynamite in the area.

They weren't detonating dynamite. They were detonating shaped charges to perforate through the casing (pipe) and cement sheath and into the formation to give a conduit for the hydrocarbons to communicate to the wellbore and up to the wellhead. Since they asked that you not use cellphones and such, this means they were doing wireline perforating.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Seismic Surveys

A seismic survey can be carried out without disturbing people or damaging the environment. It is the most important tool for finding and mapping potential oil fields. Sound waves are reflected off underground rock layers and picked up by sensitive detectors laid along the ground or towed behind a boat. Recorded on magnetic tape and analyzed by powerful computers, they reveal the underground structures which might contain oil.

In remote areas, the sound waves may be produced by dynamite, detonated several feet below the ground surface. In densely populated or environmentally sensitive areas, where explosions are not practical, vibrator trucks are used

www.shell-lubricants.com...

Plus a couple of more links explaing it...

www.mammoth-geo.com...

geology.utah.gov...

I did find reference to what you were mention and maybe that's what they were doing in my area but I'm pretty sure they were detonating dynamite since they were exploring and just recently are the rigs showing up.

[edit on 10-1-2006 by Thatoneguy]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join