It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miltary Blocks Access to Email Sites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Citing cocerns that security could be comprimised, the United States Navy and the Marine Corps has blocked access to e-mail services, such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and GMail from government computers.

stripes.com
On Tuesday, the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps blocked all access to commercial e-mail services, such as Yahoo!, Hotmail, America Online and Google, from overseas government computers.

And not just at office workstations.

The block includes access to e-mail services from computers at base libraries and liberty centers that are connected to an official government network.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There's a fine line here. I can understand the military's need to protect information, but for most that are overseas, this is their only link to their families back home. If someone on one of the commercial services is reading their emails (which I doubt), then the military is most likely reading emails that are sent out from official government email addresses, so from any angle you look at it there's a privacy issue.

Related News Links:
www.webpronews.com

[edit on 28-10-2005 by asala]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think this is perfectly understandable on the part of the military. Each person is given their own .mil address and that should be used.

Good decision.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if they use the military email address or an on-line one, it all goes through the military network so everything would be monitored anyway. It does address possible security issues. For instance when they send an email using one of the online services it records the IP number in the header, but if they use the official one then they have the chance to remove that information.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
See Nerdling's notes... This is to eliminate the chance of not being able to track down the leak. Personally, I'm amazed that this hasn't always been in place... I just assumed it was....

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Another reason that this blocking was done was due to the number of viruses and trojans that have wrecked havoc on the internal military's network.
When I was supporting the DOD a while back, blocking http email sites was one of the solutions that the IT administrators were planning on implementing.
I for one am glad that they have finally done this. It caused me many a sleepless night when their networks were compromised by someone opening such things as an email attachments for Nimda and ILOVEYou worms.

top topics

join