It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, Please! I'm Going Down for the Third Time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Can anyone identify this dialog box and what it means? I'm having a real problem with my computer with several drivers having bee corrupted.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Grady, it looks like the IDS_CONF_DIALOG_TITLE box. I would think since there is an 'i' there you have some option of abtaining further information.

I am curious to what system you are running and what browser.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by garyo1954
Grady, it looks like the IDS_CONF_DIALOG_TITLE box. I would think since there is an 'i' there you have some option of abtaining further information.

Wow! It really sounds like you know your computer dialog boxes.

I have Windows XP and am using MSN Premium a shell for IE6

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I've never seen that before, but if you can't get any additional information from the box, try looking in Event Viewer for the same error. At least then it will give you an EventID error number that you can search for on microsoft.

Right Click My computer > Manage > Event Viewer

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I cannot find the dialog box.

The most common IDS that I know of is an Intrusion Detection System.

An IDS is a network monitor that keeps track of intrusion attempts, signs of possible 'bad' behavior or hacking exploits.

IDS use Conf files to configure them to the appropriate settings.

Surely this cannot be it though.

Did you install an app recently? A piece of hardware? What brought on this problem?

If you think it is windows drivers, you could try sfc.

From the command prompt type: sfc /scannowto check the windows drivers. (have your xp cd handy)

Best of luck
makeitso

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I believe that the IDS is a prefix referring to a string resource in c++, not something else. Because as you can see, it says IDS_CONF_DIALOG_TITLE ... which is where the messagebox title would go. For some reason it's not able to tell what should go there or something. In the space below it says dialog_permission...... probably its asking for your permission to do something. The three boxes below it are IDS_Dialog_OK (the ok button) _cancel (the dont do it) and the last one looks to be _configure.
Maybe I'm wrong and it is intrusion detection system but it's a crappy dialog box to show up. But IDS is a c++ conventional prefix for a string resource too and thats what looks to have happened.
Probably we cant help you much Grady unless you can give us more info on what you were running when it happened and if you can reproduce it etc...

Have a beer! :w: Good luck

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I would think this is a dialog box coming from some firewall software asking for permission for something. What firewall program do you use? You might also have a virus...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Get rid of the shell crap !

I say that in the kindest way. :shk:

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone for the help. I just bit the bullet, backup my hard drive and reformatted. Everything is fine now.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer

I like MSN 9. It has a nice interface and extra features.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by Dulcimer

I like MSN 9. It has a nice interface and extra features.

noooooooooooooooooooooo :shk:

Please, think of the children !!!

Ah well its up to you. Glad to see your back and running.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hello there. IDS_CONF_DIALOG_TITLE is nothing more then logitech trying to update. most likley you have a webcam or some other logitech device. Next time you see it, and you will see it again if you have reinstalled the device drivers, simply look in your task manager, you will see "logitech update". Then you can choose to "end process", and you r IDS_CONF_DIALOG_TITLE box will magicaly disapear. Hope this helps you for next time. _javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Don't take this the wrong way, but change the browser you use.

May I suggest you move up to firefix 2.0
www.mozilla.com...

I have found, personally, that branded specific shells on IE tend to be very problematic at best.

hope this helps.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iamat89

Yeah this solution works, cheers.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Formatting because of a little error message. Sorry, but you gave up a chance to learn more about your computer. Yes you "fixed" it but it is like getting rid of ants in your house by burning it down.

top topics

join