It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy Lafleur in.... Afghanistan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Lafleur, (Rick) Mercer and speed skater Catriona Le May Doan are among a group of sports heroes and entertainers invited to visit Canadian troops in Afghanistan. Other participants include retired general Lewis MacKenzie and retired admiral Ken Summers.

news.yahoo.com...

Wow what a great idea ! NOT. Whats the point?

"ugh huh hey troops we have a surprise for you. That guy from the 1 tonne challenge commercials, an old hockey player and a speed skater nobody knows about is coming to see you!"

Who cares. What a waste. Who is paying for this crap?

As if anyone in the army is going to give a flying puck about a speed skater !

And Rick Mercer isn't funny ! Why is he all of a sudden some spokesman for Canada? Hes a knob !!!!!!!!!!

I cant add enough exclamation marks.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I can't argue you about those guys being knobs. But I can shade you some light on what the point is.

When you're stuck in the desert for months with nothing better to do other than picking the lint out your belly button, anything becomes funny.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'll agree with you on most of that but I thought it was obvious why Catriona is going.

For people who aren't Canadian, meet Catriona Le May Doan.

external image

I would think the soldiers would be happy to see her.

At least we aren't sending Celine Dion.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Guy was a hit!

The soldiers made him an honourary colonel after he kicked their butts at shinny. How Canadian is that, hockey in the Middle East. :shk:

Canadian troops abroad have a habit of building themselves ball hockey rinks in unlikely places and Lafleur grabbed a stick to play in both Kandahar and Kabul this week.

The soldiers even awarded Lafleur an epaulet with the four stripes of a colonel.

"Guy Lafleur has been made an honorary colonel and he should be an honorary general," Rudyard Griffiths, head of the Dominion Institute, said in a phone interview Friday from Kabul.

"He's been such a huge morale booster for the troops. He's been playing shinny hockey with them, signing autographs three hours at a stretch."

cnews.canoe.ca...

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
At least they had fun. But the figure skater...... ! :shk:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Being a fan of the sport of hockey, this is all that I can say. Guy Lafleur is one of the greatest players in the history of the N.H.L. and the greatest player, in front of Patrick Roy, for the Montreal Canadiens franchise, GO HABS! Lafleur and Pierre LaCroix have been buddies ever since their playing days. Pierre LaCroix is the President and General Manager of the Colorado Avalanche of the Campbell Conference, Smythe Division.

[edit on 10/14/2005 by gimmefootball400]

[edit on 10/14/2005 by gimmefootball400]

top topics

join