It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When and how will first (public) contact occur?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 11:44 AM
link   
OK,

So, how will it happen... through something like SETI, a straight forward landing on the white house lawn... or what?

Please explain your choice. Also, try to place it in historical context.

In the poll, by 'direct' contact I mean any scenario wherein the aliens (or a robotic probe) travel to Earth (or a future human settlement in space). This includes the proverbial landing on the white house lawn as well as any scenario that has the Prseident revealing that we encountered them in the past.

For 'SETI', also keep in mind any future program that is designed to detect lasers being used for communication.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
By 'artifact', to clarify, I mean any non-active object that is recovered by humans. This would be anything that fits into a 'time capsule' scenario, wherein they contacted us either by leaving something behind, somewhere, or we extrapolated their existence from something we found.

So, if an active, functioning probe were to come to Earth and transmit a greeting, that would be considered a 'direct' contact, in my poll, but if one of our spacecraft came across a derelict alien probe or spaceship, that would be an 'artifact'.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I believe if contact happens at all (there's still no proof they exist, AT ALL!!!) then it will probably be through finding artifacts is space, just like Arthur C Clarke dreamed it in 2001.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Honestly, I believe that "first contact" will be announced at the discovery of something along the microbial scale. I have felt this way for quite a while. Last year I think it was, there were some experiments being carried out by India where they were collecting samples from the top of the atmosphere, and initially were making claims that they had discovered extraterrestrial life. This was followed quickly by alot of skeptism and dismissal, followed by cries for more evidence. I havent heard about those experiments since, strange, dont you think?

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The problem here is what is going to be determined as "extraterrestial life."

If one is implying another space-faring civilization more-or-less advanced than 'we' are......I don't think it will happen in 'our' lifetime. "If" and "when" it does occur, it will not be on this planet. It will be encountered in outer space while exploring, etc.

regards
seekerof

ID

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This will happen not on our time but on theirs, which makes it very hard to guess. Due to the Mayan 2012 theory I am gonna say it MAY happen sometime around then. As for were, it will be a significant place but not a capital or a city. I believe it will be a place important to them not us. That could be anywhere but for the sake of wild guessing I am saying Chichen Itza, that place scares the soul out of me.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
i think they'll visit us when the evil is at it's peak maybe when the mayans predicted end time 2012, or maybe just whenever usa is gone too far

ID

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   

or maybe just whenever usa is gone too far
I do not believe they care for things a trivial as our political squabbling. They would come for a much bigger reason then simply big bad USA has gotten to powerful. Otherwise why would they not have come when Germany was at it's prime?

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Perhaps they were here for thousands of years already...

www.ufoartwork.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I believe that first contact will occur when it will best benefit the governments in charge. Most likely when the world is more or less at peace, and something completely out of left field is the last thing anyone is expecting.

I also expect first contact to likely take place either on a soundstage or in one of Industrial Light and Magics CGI machines..

ID

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Most likely when the world is more or less at peace, and something completely out of left field is the last thing anyone is expecting.
I do not believe that this time you speak of will ever exist. Man is by nature violent and I do not believe the world as a whole will ever be at peace. If it ever is we will have finally extracted that part of us that makes us truly alive.

Also you make it seem as though the government is in control of these beings, is that in fact what you are saying, if so how would such a thing be possible?

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm thinking the aliens do things on their own time scale, regardless of our wars and political leanings. I had to vote for the 2005 to 2015 time scale. I think that's when the presense will be come to reveled, not necessarlily open contact.

As for finding microbes...who would really care? That doesn't mean much of anything to anyone besides the more primitive-minded or religious of us. Intelligent, space-faring alien life would be much more significant.

[Edited on 9/10/2003 by Flinx]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have seen ufo's on two occasions.

So for me they are real.

But I would answer 'none of the above'

I think that it will be in US and an official unofficial government/military and alien encounter.

How this is set-up is annother story.

Maybe via Setti but they are scanning on all the wrong frequencies anyways so it is not likely.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
If what I read about Disney was true (with regards to alien documentaries), the government has at multiple times thought about full disclosure and backed down. I imagine it will happen in the very near future.

If the NASA STS-48 footage was any indication of hostilities either from our planet or from beyond, then I would hope it would be immediate information. Though that video was shot in 1991 and here we are in 2003.

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
and is an ongoing process for our intelligent minds to live with the love bestowed uppon us...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If the false ET invasion to start the NWO as a public organization isn't the first indication of their existence, I say the reality will be brought out once an indisputable fly-by happens or The Disclosure Project makes its way into court.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   

(there's still no proof they exist, AT ALL!!!)

Guess you haven't read the bible or any other religous text before ...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
What are these beings that you talk about?
Which country are they from and what do they look like?

Why are they aliens? We have many aliens in our country they come from the war countries around us. They are poor black people and need some peace.

Surely these aliens are not not them?

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by Mala]

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mala
What are these beings that you talk about?
Which country are they from and what do they look like?

Why are they aliens? We have many aliens in our country they come from the war countries around us. They are poor black people and need some peace.

Surely these aliens are not not them?

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by Mala]

~You obviously have no idea what they are talking about do you? We are referring to EBE's.

~Jeff

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Mala,

The black people are freee now ... build a bridge and get over it

If anything, the white male american is NOW the minority. We are pushed aside so as not to offend people that aren't white. The way I see it, if you live in america, you should be considered american ONLY and speak friggan english clearly. You get no special treatment cuz of your stupid color. Your just american

top topics

<<   2 >>

join