It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's highest screen resolution LCD TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) claimed it has developed a 56-inch LCD TV panel that has the world’s highest resolution and expects to volume produce the panel in the third quarter of next year.

The quad full high definition (QFHD) panel has a 3,840×2,160 resolution, featuring 8.29 million pixels, which is four times the resolution of current high-definition (HDTV) panels (1,920×1,080).

The new panel consists of over 24.8 million transistors, with a data transmission speed of over 1.4 gigabytes per second. The 56-inch TV panel is the largest panel developed by a Taiwan-based TFT LCD maker, the company said. CMO will showcase the panel at FPD International 2005 in Yokohama, Japan from October 19-21, 2005.

www.digitimes.com...

WOW it would be sweet to own one of these!!

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The TV in the picture looks very cool. Any idea how much this puppy is going to cost though? And will it be available in the United States? I've personally never heard of this company and I'd be interested to know about the level of their reliability, as well as Taiwan's TV products in general. I'm actually interested in purchasing an HDTV in the next few months, but I'm already worried about some of the horror stories I've heard about the lifespan of plasma TV's and such. As much as I'd like for my new TV to be a few inches thick, if its not going to last more than 5 years then I'd settle for a regular bulky HDTV big screen.

xu

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
it is useless unless some film producers or TV channels decide to make 4K resolution version broadcasts. which doesnt seem possible in near future.

and if you are thinking of using it to watch PAL or NTSC then around 7.8 million pixels of that 8 million pixel resolution capacity will not be used (in terms of detail).

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
The TV in the picture looks very cool. Any idea how much this puppy is going to cost though? And will it be available in the United States? I've personally never heard of this company and I'd be interested to know about the level of their reliability, as well as Taiwan's TV products in general. I'm actually interested in purchasing an HDTV in the next few months, but I'm already worried about some of the horror stories I've heard about the lifespan of plasma TV's and such. As much as I'd like for my new TV to be a few inches thick, if its not going to last more than 5 years then I'd settle for a regular bulky HDTV big screen.

I would guess somewhere around 20G's for that TV. Considering HDTV's that put out 1080p(1920x1080) will run you around $6000. Skip the plasma and go with an LCD or DLP, do your research though, if you are a gamer an HDMI input is a must!

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

It says that CMO will showcase the panel at FPD International 2005 in Yokohama, Japan from October 19-21, 2005,so hopefully then they will give us some info on how much it will cost and when they well sell in north america.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I'm actually interested in purchasing an HDTV in the next few months, but I'm already worried about some of the horror stories I've heard about the lifespan of plasma TV's and such. As much as I'd like for my new TV to be a few inches thick, if its not going to last more than 5 years then I'd settle for a regular bulky HDTV big screen.

Yes that's plasma, and the negative reports you've heard are probabaly the lifespan of the TV, or the burn-in. Just like old CRT monitors, Plasma TV's "Burn" in an image of something that is displayed a lot. Newer Technology involving pixel rotation has slowed the effects down greatly.

But LCT is totally different, since it uses Liquid crystal instead of gas bubbles, there is no Burn-in and they last longer since the plasma eventually runs out on those TVs. With LCDs, the only negative, is that after a few years, you have to replace the backlight.

As it stands currently, LCDs weigh less, are more durable, have no burn-in , and are cheaper to repair than plasma, while still displaying a clear image. But plasma TVs are heavy, very easily broken, have that burn in thing, but display a CRISPER image. This is why plasma is considered to have a better image. I'm hoping this new TV will change that, I'd love to get rid of my plasma in favor of a nice LCD.

I have a 45" Widescreen Toshiba Plasma, I have had it only about 2 months, and I am already experiencing image burn-in.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
with virtually nothing worth watching...

the handfull of welldone movies/documentaries are hardly worth the expense

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
That's the benefit of LCD, most of em have either DVI or VGA inputs.... computer gaming my man!

Well, that and add surround sound, couches, and chips, and SuperBowl.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
That's the benefit of LCD, most of em have either DVI or VGA inputs.... computer gaming my man!

Well, that and add surround sound, couches, and chips, and SuperBowl.

Hey aren't CNT (carbon nanotubes) televisions coming out next year? they are supposed to be as thin as a LCD as clear as a CRT with no ghosting or burn in or anything and they will be way cheaper...that's what I hear anyway

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well it depends on your definition of "Next Year" lol.

Next Year for the corporate markets perhaps, but I think it will be at least 2 years before that makes the consumer market. I think they just demoed a prototype this month. Sweet Technology when it comes out though.

top topics

join