It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
When you make a new thread, it would be nice to have two icons to go with it which signals movies or pictures.
Often you see threads without an icon, and really, those smileys are useless. But it would be nice to have a way of showing that a thread contains footage or pictures of whatever the topic is. Personally I mostly discuss topics in the UFO's and Cryptozoology forums, and I definately prefer topics which have some hard evidence. If a newly started thread could have a small icon signalling on of those two things, it would be easier to sort out things, and actually make those icons usefull!

Comments?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I agree. Not only would it alert users to threads that have photographic eveidence, but it would also alert those users on dial-up that the thread may take a while to load.

EDIT: correct spelling

[edit on 9/22/2005 by DCFusion]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
No admins wanna comment on this?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch

Can't speak for admin, but they tend to agree...

those smileys are useless

For now though, most people state Video or Photo in the title when it's important.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
For what it's worth, I--and I'm sure I'm not the only one--spend most of my time looking at the "Today's Posts at A/B/PTS" lists; no icons show up there except for the ones designating which forum it's in. For me, changing the icons would be moot at this point, unless the powers-that-be decided to show something on those pages as well. Which, I might add, would be great for the locked threads--in the forum indices it's obvious which ones are locked, but looking at the Today's Posts list I'll find a thread that looks great, get fired up with a great response, only to get all the way through 5 pages before I think to look and see the "Post Reply" button is missing....

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Cultural Icons

Implementing this requires digging up icons or creating them from scratch, but I think it's a great idea.

After all, what's the point of having those nifty thread-identifier icons if the only threads they end up being used for don't really warrant an icon in the first place?

Informative icons? I can dig it.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

No they don't...

They like the idea and are on their way to come kill you and remove this post.

Stay safe brave soldier!

P.S: Nice idea.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

No they don't...

They like the idea and are on their way to come kill you and remove this post.

Stay safe brave soldier!

P.S: Nice idea.

Argh! *Puts planks on his windows and bolts the door - Calls for bodyguard ninjas*

Icons for locked threads, threads with movies, threads with pictures, purely speculative threads, (Any) news/articles-discussion threads, discussion of book threads, discussion of movie threads.

More?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We have icons for locked threads...

the idea for a movie and/or photo thread is good, but could ultimately be rendered useless...

How?

Well, suppose you make a post, and no movie or pic. A reply 3 pages later then includes a movie or pic. Is the icon generated or not? Even if it is or isn't, does this really help you find the reference? Not really....

Who decides what's purely speculative (no way to automate this one)...???

Books and Movies have their own forums....pretty much takes care of that right there...

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well, Big G [Gazrok], I'd say it is done by the guy who makes the first post and not if someone adds a video, book, etc after it.

This way those who are on a weaker connection could know prior that they will have to download a movie. Those who use a book icon will know it is on a book and so on and so fourth not automaticall but if the poster of the initial thread does then they can use the icons of their own free will.

I think it could help organise things a bit more.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
We have icons for locked threads...

In regards to what I mentioned about the locked threads, I meant something on the Today's Posts page. Make things a little quicker to scan through and see if you'll be able to reply or not. Maybe not an icon, maybe change the font for the subject line, or add (Locked) to the end of it or something. I don't know anything about the code you guys have set up, but it seems it wouldn't be too difficult to add conditional text to the subject line--or change the subject line when a mod locks (and unlocks) it.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Right now, you'll see a little padlock icon, which pretty much does the trick...

I like the idea of added icons that are optional (not auto), such as one for photos, videos, etc. That's a great idea, if added to the existing ones as user-decided options when posting. I'm just not sure how useful it'd be, as it depends on the poster. After all, how many inane topics have a flashing siren attached to them, eh?

new topics

top topics

join