It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great moments in human stupidity...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Title says it all... submit anything you think would be one of the greatest moments in human stupidity... Sorry I've got none... well none that are great anyways

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Dunno about in ALL of history but I did find these....

"Too lazy to drive to his girlfriend's house, a man ties helium balloons to a lawn chair--and ends up at 15,000 feet, closing the L. A. airport."

"A Chinese contraception program causes the birth rate to rise when men are discovered taking birth control pills and unrolling condoms over their fingers--exactly as shown in the training film."

"A gang of Norwegian thieves carefully uses explosives to open a safe--only to find the safe is filled with dynamite."

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Here's a website devoted *entirely* to human stupidity...

www.darwinawards.com...

The "mission statement" of this website:
The Darwin Awards honor those who improve our gene pool... by removing themselves from it. These men and women gave their "all" in an effort to improve the human species. Of necessity, the honor is generally bestowed posthumously.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
When the american people accepted the supreme court decision that GeeDubya won,instead of demanding a complete re-vote.
It was specifically demonstrated that what the voters wanted made no difference,it was also demonstrated that they were naive enough to accept a "tainted " election at all.
We have seen what has happened since then,haven't we?.
I know it would have been expensive,but right is right.
I also know that the reason a re-vote was not done was because a lot of people who didn't vote the first time would have voted the second time.
Couldn't have that now,could we?.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I just found one on www.darwinawards.com

A man tried to commit a robbery in Renton, WA. This was probably his first attempt, as suggested by the fact that he had no previous record of violent crime, and by his terminally stupid choices as listed below:

1. The target was H&J Leather & Firearms, a gun shop.

2. The shop was full of customers, in a state where a substantial portion of the adult population is licensed to carry concealed handguns in public places.

3. To enter the shop, he had to step around a marked Police patrol car parked at the front door.

4. An officer in uniform was standing next to the counter, having coffee before reporting to duty.

Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a holdup and fired a few wild shots. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, removing him from the gene pool. Several other customers also drew their guns, but didn't fire. No one else was hurt

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD
When the american people accepted the supreme court decision that GeeDubya won,instead of demanding a complete re-vote.
It was specifically demonstrated that what the voters wanted made no difference,it was also demonstrated that they were naive enough to accept a "tainted " election at all.
I also know that the reason a re-vote was not done was because a lot of people who didn't vote the first time would have voted the second time.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The outbreak of World War I. Without a doubt the most senseless, pointless, most tragic loss of life in history, and it was all caused by childish rivalry between imperial powers. The war could have been stopped in the first few hours too, but they thought it would be too much trouble to stop the trains now that the troops were mobilized.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Yes.. the Darwin Awards!

There is one Darwin award honarable mention concerning a couple spicing up their sex life, bondage, peanut butter, a golden retriever, a rather large bottle of cheap perfume, and an emergency room. It is worth your while to hunt this down.

CiderGood, I must agree about WWI. It was a nearly pointless war waged at more or less the end of monarch rule. Basically waged over some insults, and several instances of totally inept communication. The ramifications of WWI are still being felt today.

The Crucades, stupid and still being felt today.

While thinking about this, most of the truly stupid things are also very smart things. For example;
Stupid - People who pay $125 for a pair of Nikes.

Smart - Nike, for convincing people to pay $125 for something they can produce for $3.

BTW, GW haters, GET OVER IT! GW won fair and square. The constitution has the electorial college so that a candidate can not win by only appealing to a small geographic area. I agree that the election brought up the need to make sure that we can properly count votes, but, the idea that Bush somehow "stole" the election is up there in the stupid ideas column.

I predict that election turnout in the future will be about the same as it is now, even after we have had our faces rubbed in the idea that votes count. That will be a stupid moment for the future!

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 09:53 AM
link   
....that I needed to refresh my memory.
How is that the supreme court supposedly chose bush,when the electoral college really does the voting in an election for president anyway?.
When we vote for pres and vice,we are really voting for the electors in the electoral college and not the actual candidates themselves.
There is something amiss here,and it has been for a long time.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD

Go back to civics class and learn the process instead of doing the usual dem. thing, demanding the process be changed so as to get your way!

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   
www.covenantnews.com...

Obviously this is not without controversy. The supreme court in effect said that Florida law was the guide on how to count the ballots. Also mentioned in the majority ruling was a controversial equal protection argument.

First count - Bush Won.
Recount - Bush Won.

Attempts by Gore to force more recounts, after a month of legal wrangling eventually halted by the supreme court. Gore was attempting to force recounts only in those areas where it was felt that recounts might give him an edge.

Also, subsequent newspaper investigation hand recounts of the ballots in the areas Gore wanted the recounts showed that Bush would have won even with the hand recounts.

top topics

join