It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is the story of adam and even about sex???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
today, in world religion class (i am a senior in high school), the religion teacher said that the story of adam and even is about sex and not eating from a tree of knowledge...

all my life i was taught that this story was about looking out for sin and temptation and looking away from it...

now, i am being told that this story is mainly about sex...

so, who is correct???

thanks...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think you're right about the meaning of the story, and I certainly don't think your teacher is correct that it's all about sex.

Did you tell your teacher the interpretation you're familiar with?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Did you tell your teacher the interpretation you're familiar with?

i will...

but, i wonder why he believes that the story is about sex...

i wonder where his facts are...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Where s/he came up with that is a mystery.

The story is about the loss of innocence in general, not sex. We are not guilty of 'sin' unless we know what we did was 'wrong'. Those who have no such knowledge, are not morally culpable.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
huh?

No it was about disobeying God, and the punishment that followed. I really hate it when people use allegoryies to interpit the Bible

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
may i say: "my bad"...

my teacher (today) said that the snake was a penis in an effort to break the ice and make us open to talks...

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a trouser snake that talked?

Substatutive alleagoies are the worst way to interpit the bible

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Substatutive alleagoies are the worst way to interpit the bible

that's what i think...

i was like "WTF" when he told us that...

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Sounds like the teacher has something other than religion on his mind...

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Sounds like the teacher has something other than religion on his mind...

i guess...

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
your teacher is not correct. its not about sex.

if you read the adam story, you will see that it is about desire for eternal life.

he wanted to live forever and so he ate the apple.

unfortunately for him, the apple was not the holy grail. it was his downfall.

---

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It is also about the origin of the human race and hope for its eventual salvation.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I am assuming probably incorrectly that you are in public high school.

I will post you a view that is not customarily presented to people even in college levels.

First contrary to what junglejake posted I am going to disagree with him..respectfully of course.
Your teacher is teaching a religion in school. It is the sex religion ..part and parcel of paganism. If you ever study paganism ..it is alot of philosophy surrounding the ancient fertility worship...meaning sex and sexuality. Many teachers know little outside of this view as this philosophy is heavily taught in public schools now days in lieu of other positions.
Your teacher is attempting to reduce the lessons of Genesis ...Adam and Eve to the lowest common denominator. Sex. Imagine how dumb and ignorant this is as even the most ignorant of wild animals have sex and sexuality. Nothing for a intelligent human being to boast about unless you are in fact a wild animal.

I will remind you they see all...that a intelligent thinking human being does not define who and what they are by sexuality or sex. Wild animals do this. Intelligent human beings define themselves by what they know combined with the God who lives in them. Not by fertility rituals of paganism.
This on your teachers part is an attempt at a first class seduction. A seduction of the mind. Only public education can dumb a person down so much as to sell this drivel from the public school pulpit in such a religious form. By the way ..allegory is used often in religions ..even paganism.
They are banking on the concept that so few students know much about paganism..they are correct..most know so little even about the olde testament or new testament which speak often of these pagan practices and disapprove of them.

I find it very intresting that while claiming seperation of church and state that a teacher would be teaching this kind of religious philosophy in public school and banking on no one catching it. It is paganism and it is a religion.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
first off my apologies ..I missed that you are in high school.
Also when making my post it occurred to me that you many not be in the states just as I hit the "post reply " button.

The title of the class is correct ..."world religion..that part I also missed. World religion is mostly paganism and pagan philosophy. Now I see why your teacher would use such a strategy to sell you on this philosophy. Its all they have.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

join