It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood Comparison map

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I saw on CNN or MSNBC tonight (cant remember which) a little segment that show a comparitive map of Katrina and how much of New York would be flooded, or Boston, or LA. Ive been scourin the net lookin for the site.

Ive googled it, checked MSNBC and CNN, cant find it. Anyone seen it or got a link?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Hmm, not exactly what your looking for but this page has a lot of before and after comparisions to get an idea of the damage:

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
ya, that has some good before and after, but its not the one Im lookin for. This was like a couple minute long thing on the news. It showed a radius around new york to demostrate the size of the flooding. Then it was LA, then boston. I live right by chicago, so i wanted to see ours, but they didnt show it. They mentioned a website that they got it from, but I didnt catch it.

I googled "katrina comparison pics/photos" "flood comparison" and etc...cant get anything though. Checked both CNN and MSNBC. Even Fox, (eewwwww), bot nothin

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I think i might have found it:

A look at damage if Katrina had hit your town

In paticular, Chicago:

Other cities available for comparison:
Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago
Cincinnati
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Kansas City
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Minneapolis
Nashville
Orlando
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Portland
Salt Lake City
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa
Washington DC

(Amazing how useful someone can be when trying to avoid actual work!)

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
RIGHT ON!!! thats the one...i searched and searched....what got you there? i tried every keyword i could think of! thnks man!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
That comparison is useless, you should calculate sea level etc to get anything truthful, as it was known NO is way below sea and had those safety walls, that eventually broke and made it worst case scenario. I doubt many other citys would sink so much from flood, even thou it would cause huge damages, but nothing like NO.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
its not meant to be some scientific study, it was just a realitive comparison, to give you an idea of how much is underwater. It gave me a better idea, seeing half of chicago gone.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Whereas the maps might indicate the total square mileage affected in comparison, it does not take into account elevation. I am from Cleveland, OH and viewed the page for us and it showed all of Cleveland under water. That would be pretty interesting considering that Public Square is 57' above the lake level and where I live is 240' above lake level, yet it showed my house as being under water. Ummmmmmm, not unless there was a 250" storm surge!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I am from Cleveland, OH and viewed the page for us and it showed all of Cleveland under water. That would be pretty interesting considering that Public Square is 57' above the lake level and where I live is 240' above lake level, yet it showed my house as being under water. Ummmmmmm, not unless there was a 250" storm surge!

It's not meant to be IF the hurricane hit your city, it's meant to be if your city was NO, this much of it would be flooded.

Sea level or the lay of the city has nothing to do with it, your not meant to think 'what would it take for that to happen to my city' your meant to think 'damn, i can relate much better to NO now that i can see how much of my city would of been under water had my city been in the same conditions as NO'.

new topics

top topics

join