It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega X-17 Solar Flare In Progress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
On Sept 7th the sun's eastern limp propelled a "Mega solar flare." This solar flare was an X17, which is up there on the most extreme solar flares to date.

The blast caused a complete blackout of HF radio transmissions on the daylit side of Earth. Emergency personnel in hurricane-hit areas of the U.S. Gulf Coast may have experienced problems with their communications gear for minutes to hours after the flare.

www.spaceweather.com...

Here is a chart from the NOAA Space Environment Center:

This video from SOHO is amazing. You can see the solar flare in real time.
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

If you don't want to download the mpg here is the real time gif.
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

More and more often we are seeing unprecedented Solar flares. Who knows what this may mean. It may just be a natural occurring cycle of the sun, or something bigger. You be the judge!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Just to note that this is the 4th biggest solar flare in over 30 years. Hopefully it didn't interfere too much with the rescue operarations in the Gulf Coast.

----------------------------------------------
Ranking Day/Month/Year X-Ray Class
----------------------------------------------

1 04/11/03 X28
2 02/04/01 X20.0
2 16/08/89 X20.0
3 28/10/03 X17.2
4 07/09/05 X17
5 06/03/89 X15.0
5 11/07/78 X15.0
6 15/04/01 X14.4

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Ow thats a big flash, cool vid!

CNN article: Solar flare affects communications, disruptions possible

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

More and more often we are seeing unprecedented Solar flares. Who knows what this may mean. It may just be a natural occurring cycle of the sun, or something bigger. You be the judge!

That reminds me of something I saw on a sci-fi show once, there was a huge burst in solar flare activity, and they were growing in intencity, and in the end the sun turned blue, but everyone was saved, because some alien music got picked up by a college kid, and his little sister liked it, and it spread, than when they figured out what it was, they spread it worldwide, but anyways, maybe the sun is about to go through some sort of change, or maybe there is an object effecting it, perhaps the theoried "Nemesis star.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

That reminds me of something I saw on a sci-fi show once, there was a huge burst in solar flare activity, and they were growing in intencity, and in the end the sun turned blue, but everyone was saved, because some alien music got picked up by a college kid, and his little sister liked it, and it spread, than when they figured out what it was, they spread it worldwide, but anyways,
maybe the sun is about to go through some sort of change, or maybe there is an object effecting it, perhaps the theoried "Nemesis star.

HAHA I think I seen that show too! Didn't everbody who listened to the music turn to shinny gold color or some other color?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hopefully it will not knock out cell phones, because in some parts of New Orleans, that is all that they have left.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Didn't everbody who listened to the music turn to shinny gold color or some other color?

Yep they turned to a shiny gold color. (I wonder how much money I could get seling one of them.)
Oh and I also remembered what show it was, it was an episode of "The outer limits".

Oh, and its quite strange, all this solar activity.

top topics

join