It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Satellite data since 1998 indicates the bulge in the Earth's gravity field at the equator is growing. Wondering if this is having an effect on the Central Oregon Cascade Range region and magma?

Also heard the magnetic poles are beginning to shift more than the usual.

BEND, Ore. (AP) -- A recent survey of a bulge that covers about 100 square miles near the South Sister indicates the area is still growing, suggesting it could be another volcano in the making or a major shift of molten rock under the center of the Cascade Range.

The likely cause of the bulge is a pool of magma that, according to Deschutes National Forest geologist Larry Chitwood, is equal in size to a lake 1 mile across and 65 feet deep. The magma lake is rising 10 feet each year, under tremendous pressure, and it deforms the Earth's surface as it expands, causing the bulge.

livescience.com

Lots of minor quake activity recently on the west coast too.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Three Sisters Seismicity

Three Sisters, Oregon - West Uplift
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

Three Sisters Seismicity Information
www.ess.washington.edu...

Any guesses if we are going to see some major siesmic or volcanic activity in the region soon?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I was just reading about this earlier today. It seems especially alarming considering the recent string of volcanic, and seismic activity popping up everywhere (MSH, the ring of fire, salton sea, this bulge, etc, etc.)

I would not be surprised if the west coast had both a major earthquake, and a volcanic eruption in the not too distant future.I am no geologist or anything, this is just my guess based off of the recent activity that I have heard reported.

I had a question though regenmacher, does the recent volcanic activity over such a large area suggest that something big is brewing? I mean from how I understand it, volcanic activity is confined to the immediate area surrounding a volcano, or is this not the case? Is there any cause for concern considering that there are so many "hot-spots" showing up so suddenly right now?

[edit on 7-9-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
I had a question though regenmacher, does the recent volcanic activity over such a large area suggest that something big is brewing? I mean from how I understand it, volcanic activity is confined to the immediate area surrounding a volcano, or is this not the case? Is there any cause for concern considering that there are so many "hot-spots" showing up so suddenly right now?

Yeah, I have the same questions and can only guessitimate.

Let's look at some factors:
•The recent Burma plate subduction (9.3 tsunami quake)
•Earth's gravity field is growing at the equator.
•The Polar regions are melting.
•The Earth's climate and atmosphere are changing and warming.
•The Earth's magnetic poles are shifting,
•The Sun is stuck half way through a pole reversal and now we have an abnormal solar cycle. Yesterday an X-17+ megaflare errupted, which is the 4th largest ever recorded.

These factors may have pushed the magma closer to the surface in the northwest US and shifted the tetonic plates. The possibility of a caldera eruption (super volcano) seems like the probable outcome. When and will it be Long Valley, Yellowstone, or Crater Lake is a mystery.

Hot spots have been showing up for awhile (3- 5 years). In Yellowstone they have closed areas of the park to tourists since the ground temps were exceeding 150° F and St Helen's has been puffing away to name a couple.

Calderas and Caldera Formation

Yellowstone's explosive secret

Magnetic pole shift data

But my conclusion echos Dan's,

"The honest and shortest answer is, we don't know,'' said Dan Dzurisin-USGS geologist.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
More stories coming in, guess Katrina quigmire still holds the headlines though.

Scientists find growing land bulge in Oregon
PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - A large, slow-growing volcanic bulge in Eastern Oregon is attracting the attention of seismologists who say that the rising ground could be the beginnings of a volcano or simply magma shifting underground.

A lava dome is growing in the huge crater created in Mount St. Helens, but that event appears to be unrelated to the South Sister bulge, seismologists said.

"We haven't seen anything like this in the Cascade range," Lisowski says, "although we have only been looking in the last 20 years."
news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

join