It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel hacks GSM in cell phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ever wonder how they catch the Hamas so easily?

www.eetimes.de...

"We can listen in to a call while it is still at the ringing stage, and within a fraction of a second know everything about the user," Biham told the news agency. "Then we can listen in to the call."

Using a special device it's possible to steal calls and impersonate callers in the middle of a call as it's happening," he added. GSM code writers made a mistake in giving high priority to call quality, correcting for noise and interference and only then encrypting, Biham said.

[Edited on 5-9-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm not surprised, the Israeli secret service is a world leader in high-tech stuff.

We've just got Echelon here to listen in on our calls.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
One has to wonder why they made this ability public. If I figured out how to do this, I sure wouldn't tell anybody.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
They sell a lot of their technology to other countries. Perhaps this is an advertising ploy on a political scale?

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   
lol it's not a very big deal to hack into cell phones these days, i could get all sorts of stuff telling me how, the info's out there on how u just need to want to know

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Finding the users is pretty easy when you own all of the cell towers. It's really just a simple matter of triangulation. (I don't know for sure but I doubt the PA owns any cell infrastructure.)
Being able to "hijack" the signal has some advantages but don't you think it would be tough to fake the voice mid conversation?
Anyway, the cell phone is a pretty safe way to communicate just because of the sheer number of them out there. Then of course there are the intelligence organizations that have HUGE computing power to find voice prints and all so "safety" is dependent upon guilt I guess

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They killed one leader by giving him a cell phone (through a 3rd party so he didn't know) with a bomb in it.

When he answered the phone, they checked it was him and then blew his head off. ...

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Have to admit...now that's style...

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
They killed one leader by giving him a cell phone (through a 3rd party so he didn't know) with a bomb in it.

When he answered the phone, they checked it was him and then blew his head off. ...

Well, I guess those things are dangerous after all. I don't guess one of those little RF shields would have made much difference huh?

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The French at least have been listening to GSM for years now. They often listen to BP and Shell apparantly.

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Looks like Cell phone can give more than cancer...

top topics

join