It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is that an upside down U.S. flag?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ok thanx i`m convinced learn something knew everyday.Hopefully people in the know notice the flag upside down and get in there to help those people,because i dont think they noticed the hurricane.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
And out of this distress signal maybe something healing will occur. I feel we may be closer to the initiation point of a STRONG third party than ever before in our nation's history. And this would come solely from the demonstration of the incompetence of what we have now. Less than a year ago people on this board lamented the most divided U.S. nation in history. Today I think we see the most united U.S. nation in decades. We are united in disgust. We are united in not being able to take the cluster-f*** that is the two major parties.

I hope the distress signal calls to action a rescue that this nation needs beyond all else. We have seen mayor after mayor stand up and take the reins of responsibility in the past few days. I hope every one is hearing the call that we do not need the blood-sucking bureaucracy that both ineffectual and thieving major parties have become and thrive on.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It just amazes me the lack of knowledge that people have about our own country. I can't say that I'm surprised by it, just disappointed. I thought everyone knew about flying the flag as a signal of distress. Guess not.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
It just amazes me the lack of knowledge that people have about our own country. I can't say that I'm surprised by it, just disappointed. I thought everyone knew about flying the flag as a signal of distress. Guess not.

Oh, get over yourself. I'm sure there's enough you don't know. So, am I less 'American' than you because I didn't know the meaning of flying a flag upside down?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What amazes me is that when someone knows something someone eles dos`nt your called ignorant,i say thanx`s for the info,well we are all ignorant unless your God almighty,and by the way i`m an aussie and have lived in Australia all my life,just so you cant be called ignorant for not knowing that.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I can understand people from other nations not knowing about it, no offense there meant. However I think citizens of a country should know about their flag and all that goes with it. Sorry if you are offended, learn about it. Lets help out those in need.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Honestly, the only reason I know an upside down flag is a symbol of distress is cause of the movie "The Last Castle".

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You people make me laugh sometimes. All this fuss over a little icon of the flag and how it's wrong and disrespectful at half mass or upside down or inverted or whatever. It's a symbol used to represent intangible ideals, most of which have unfortunately been going down the toilet for decades now. Listening to people argue about the correct and proper way to worship a symbol, while everything that the symbol itself stands for is being raped, is somewhat amusing to me. Like a dark comedy is amusing.

Metaphorically speaking, "The train has jumped the track and is freefalling into a lonely rock canyon and the only thing I hear people concerned with are if the curtains match or clash with the overall fung-shi of the ride."

In today's world the flag that is flying high isn't the Red White and Blue. The stars and stripes has been replaced by billboards saying "This Buds for You, Just do it, Where's the beef? & Have it your way" just to name a few. Unless you plan on getting the root of the problem and digging it out like the cancer it is, then your flag may as well be this one:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
I can understand people from other nations not knowing about it,

Ummm... It's an internationally recognised signal.

ANY flag upside down means distress.

mOjOm...

[edit on 9/3/2005 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
That seems to be a global problem Mojom,the common people world wide Aussies Kiwi`s Pom`s Yank`s etc all feel the same greif,Australia is just America`s apprentice (Gov)but the common people are those that suffer for there deeds.So you guys are no Lone Rangers,and we are feelin your pain.

My prayers for swift help to those in need.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Every Boy Scout knows that it's legit to fly the flag upside down to signal distress. Nothing to worry about here.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
What if the flag looks the same upside down?

e.g. the Scottish Saltire

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
What if the flag looks the same upside down?

e.g. the Scottish Saltire

Perpetual crisis? Im not really sure about other nations, and it may be a US specific signal. As mentioned above it was a tidbit I learned in the Boy Scouts

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I was thinking the very same thing Nerdling.

Just how exactly could you hoist the Union Jack upside down and have it recognized as such? Think about the Japanese flag

Be prepared indeed

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by swintersVT
Honestly, the only reason I know an upside down flag is a symbol of distress is cause of the movie "The Last Castle".

OMG, that's how I knew too!
That's a great movie btw.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm not American and I knew about flying the flag upside down means distress. Arn't you supposed to be a military brat sourgrapes?

Mountain out of a mole hill.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
I'm not American and I knew about flying the flag upside down means distress. Arn't you supposed to be a military brat sourgrapes?

Mountain out of a mole hill.

Yeah, I'm a military brat (thanks for remembering!). I knew that it meant 'SOS' in historical days; however, I grew up on a military base overseas and the upside down U.S. flag usually meant those facilities did not cater to americans.

This was on my mind when I saw the upside down flag. My father told us to stay away from the stores that hung the U.S. flag upside down.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Where was this base overseas?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Where was this base overseas?

Italy

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Its a signal often used in the military especially on navy ships when there is dire emergency and alot of danger. Upside down flag is a distress signal, and appropriate here, because a huge chunk of our people are in ALOT of danger.

Half mast is for mourning and loss. Im sure that will come after we get the final body count.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join