It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Adopt a Family" or employ victims of Katrina?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Here is an idea I’d like to float past the ATS community….

There is an organization known as Noah’s Wish that adopts and places animals temporarily into homes after natural disasters….

www.noahswish.org...

I am certain that there are other similar organizations…(I recall mention of HART in the news.)

Why could something similar not be created for this event for the human victims of this storm?

It is quite clear that the impact of this storm will be far reaching and last for several months at best.

What I have in mind is the creation of a website that would match volunteers to families or other victims of the storm for boarding and/or possible employment. Companies could fund the site and/or also identify temporary positions of employment they might have available.

I have much more to add to the concept, but wanted to get an initial reaction to such an idea.
Any thoughts?

[edit on 30-8-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Some folks (like my friends) are fortunate enough to have friends and family (like me) who have opened their homes to them. But there are probably many more who don't.

One thing you have to understand about gulf coast folks. Most are not going to leave the area once they get back. They will begin cleaning and/or rebuilding their homes. Business will try to reopen and work towards life as usual. Although homeless and unemployed, without food, water and electricity, many people will not give up. That's just the way they are.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Loam I think that is a wonderful idea and I too was thinking about reaching out in that capacity as well.
Although I understand that people will want to return as soon as possible to begin rebuilding. That effort will remain on hold until they can stablize the city and rebuild the levees.

In the meantime most are or will be bused to TX and live in the AstroDome there. I live in Minnesota so I don't know how likely it would be to get a family up here by us but the idea is a sound one and if we were to have a catastrophic event as they have experienced I would like to know that someone was offering me the same refuge.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I am convinced that the need will be there, even if the realization for that need takes some time for these folks....

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Here's another link for Houston residents to volunteer to host New Orleans refugees:

www.sohmission.org...

Do it if you can

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
How about the loan of timeshare property and the loan of "winter homes" of the more fortunate.

I believe there is plenty of property available which is used mostly for pleasure and at a time like this, I think more pleasure would be attained by knowing that a family or families have a place to stay during this tough time..

Just an idea to throw out there....

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
A GREAT idea - and the perfect opportunity for good Christians to prove their mettle.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My first day on abovetopsecret. I am in NC and found a website that accepts applications for Katrina family adoptions. It is [email protected]. While I did offer my home and round trip airline tickets, I imagine no one will be willing to come here.

While I have a forum, how do you all feel about George Nouri and Art Bell? I listen to them at times and find them very interesting.

- Kurt

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I think this is a wonderful idea, loam. I have wondered if we should open our home to a family in need. Please keep us updated.

top topics

join