It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Army Join in Gay Pride Parade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Soldiers in the British Army will take part today in a gay pride parade in Manchester. About 10 soliders will participate in the parade and 20 RAF airmen will take part in the float. Approximately 45,000 people are expected to attend the parade.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Army will join a gay pride parade for the first time on Saturday, as soldiers march with lesbians and gay men at Manchester's Pride Festival.
About 10 uniformed soldiers will parade and man a recruitment stall.

Some 20 RAF colleagues will man a float featuring a plane cockpit - the RAF was the first armed service to join a gay pride festival at last year's event.

Festival Director Claire Turner said it was "great the Army is coming" and "showing that they welcome gay people".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Talk about your enlightened military. This is encouraging for gay people who want to join the forces but are afraid their sexual preferences will be discriminated against. I think its positive that soldiers are actively participating in the parades. It is a start to combating intolerant views in the miltary and sends a message that sexuality should not be a deterrent for people who want to serve for their country.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This picture made me laugh!

I applaud the Forces for being open to anyone, regardless of orientation, but could you see this going down well during a piss up in the Sgt's mess?

(then again, I have seen far worse in the mess, come to think of it!)

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Can't believe no one else took this up as a discussion...... I voted for it anyway!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well I'm glad that at least the British military isn't discriminating. I think it's about time gays started to have some more equal rights. However I did not need to see that image of the guy in the angel suit.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Reminds me of a hilarious Monty Python sketch..

"And next the men of the Second Armoured Division regale us with their famous close order swanning about.."

Sergeant: Squad. Camp it ... up!

Soldiers: (mincing in unison) Oooh get her! Whoops! I've got your number ducky. You couldn't afford me, dear. Two three. I'd scratch your eyes out. Don't come the brigadier bit with us, dear, we all know where you've been, you military fairy. Whoops, don't look now girls the major's just minced in with that dolly colour sergeant, two, three, ooh-ho!

new topics

top topics

join