It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Senator Says Iraq Looking Like Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   

A leading Republican senator and prospective presidential candidate said Sunday that the war in Iraq has destabilized the Middle East and is looking more like the Vietnam conflict from a generation ago.

Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record), who received two Purple Hearts and other military honors for his service in Vietnam, reiterated his position that the United States needs to develop a strategy to leave Iraq. Hagel scoffed at the idea that U.S. troops could be in Iraq four years from now at levels above 100,000, a contingency for which the Pentagon is preparing.

This guy goes againsty my views in another recent thread of mine.

Hagel said "stay the course" is not a policy. "By any standard, when you analyze 2 1/2 years in Iraq ... we're not winning," he said.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050822/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq

I would say the US is winning. I guess if factor in time and resources perhaps they are not winning, but in the long run they are.

One thing I want to add about polls and such.

Polls show the public growing more skeptical about Bush's handling of the war.

Times change, people are becoming more skeptical of their governments.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The thread I was referencing is here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The article brings up the same issue as the thread.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well, especially with the recent surge of violence, Id say his description is accurate. The United States does not have a clear set of goals or a plan to get there, and for the soldiers this only makes the fog of war denser.

One thing that kinda urked me is to see bush riding bikes with Lance Armstrong, he couldnt use that time to visit the war veterans that he has mangled?

new topics

join