It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Suspect Gets 7 Year Jail Term, Is Acquitted of 9/11 Charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Mounir el-Motassadeq was sentenced Friday in a German court to 7 years after being found guilty of belonging to a terrorist group. He was acquitted on charges of "accessory to murder" for the 9/11 attacks.

w ww.reuters.com
Moroccan Mounir El Motassadeq was found guilty of belonging to a terrorist group on Friday and sentenced to seven years in jail by a German court but he was cleared of a charge he aided the September 11 attackers.

Judge Ernst-Rainer Schudt said the court believed that Motassadeq was an acquaintance of Mohamed Atta, the Hamburg student who crashed a hijacked plane into New York's World Trade Center. But Motassadeq, 31, was found to be lacking by al-Qaeda leaders who assessed him at an Afghan training camp.

The verdict came after a year-long retrial at which prosecutors had tried to prove Motassadeq helped plot the suicide hijack attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people in 2001. He had been convicted on both charges at a first trial in 2003, but that ruling was quashed on appeal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's interesting that though he freely admitted vitriolic anti-US sentiment and making statements at Atta's home attesting to this, actually signed Atta's will and acted as power of attorney to one of the alleged hijackers, there wasn't enough evidence to prove that he actually knew about 9/11 prior to the event.

Personally, I think it's unlikely that he didn't know about the 9/11 plot in advance; if nothing else he knew enough about the Hamburg cell that it would just seem unlikely for him to remain in the dark. The courts apparently disagree.

With that in mind - I don't think the sentence was long enough.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
cnn.com

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

[edit on 14-2-2006 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Sentance not long enough? I don't proclaim to know anything for sure, but there has been more evidence pointing to the fact that 9/11 was an inside job, than there has been to this man's guilt.

What if he is totally innocent, except for the crime of having a middle eastern name and hating the U.S. government, but is now spending seven years of his life in jail?

I am fortunate enough (I guess - odd thing to say) not to have a Middle Eastern name, however I am none too pleased with our current government, but I had nothing to do with 9/11, either.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
UPDATE

Mounir El Motassadeq, was unexpectedly released from prison in Hamburg yesterday.

Germany releases terror suspect

new topics

join