It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride Linked to Low IQ, Studies Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Anyone see Doctor Strangelove? Our Pure Essence? Maybe it wasnt such a strange plot after all...

Children's intelligence declines as their natural drinking water fluoride levels increase, concluded a Chinese study in the May 2003 journal, "Fluoride."

Children scored inferior IQ's even when fluoride levels were similar to that added to U.S. water supplies to prevent tooth decay(1).

"As the fluoride levels in drinking water increased, the IQ fell and the rates of mental retardation and borderline intelligence increased," write researchers Xiang, et al.

Tested were 512 children, aged 8-13 years from Wamiao, a high-fluoride village, and Xinhuai, a low-fluoride village. The high-fluoride village was divided into five subgroups by water fluoride levels, from 0.62 mg Fluoride per Liter to 4.38 mg F/L. As water fluoride levels increased within the high fluoride village, IQ decreased.

www.enn.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I've got 5 bucks on the following Valhallian assumption:

You grew up in the country.

Please respond in this thread if I am correct

p.s. SERIOUS...this is a smidgeon of research.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Actually yes, but we did have city (floridated) water. I did live for 2 years in a place where we had straight ground water, which was about the only place I lived long term without floridation.

The city I live in now (for the past 3 years) has only last year began floridation of water, although we drink bottled water for the most part.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
SEE! You even knew where I was going. I'm certain you got more well-water as a kid than you realize...HAHAHAHA!

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Actually no. The town we lived in, which was very much a podunk oilfield town, DID have processed (floridated) water piped in from about 15 miles away. I lived on that from age 3 to 15. From 15 to 17 I lived off of well water, and from then till 3 years ago I lived predominantly off of floridated city water.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Lets just face it.....
Almost everything can be found to be 'bad' for us......

WARNING: Fruit-A-Looms (sp) will cause prostate cancer.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Swingin free!

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In the words of my brother...

if you shove enough of ANYTHING up a lab rat's ass, he'll eventually die.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   
In my opinion, they need to add Flouride to the drinking water in order to control our population growth:

A 1986-87 nationwide study conducted by the National Institute of Dental Research showed no significant difference in tooth decay between children in fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities. Newer, large-scale studies also show no difference in decay rates of permanent teeth in fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas. Clearly, the dental benefit of fluoride is, at best, questionable!
In July 1997, the National Federation of Federal Employees, which represents toxicologists, chemists, and biologists at the EPA, went on record against adding fluoride to public drinking water. This was after an eleven year review over a large body of evidence that linked fluoride to cancer, genetic damage, neurological impairment, bone pathology (including increased hip fracture rates in menopausal women and elderly men) and lowered IQ in children!

healthyhealing.com...

There are many many variables that go into why people have high IQ vs. low IQ-- exposure to environmental toxins is only one small piece of the puzzle (which is still not yet completed).

The most dangerous aspect of flouridation is the negative health effects (mental as well as physical).

Anyone with work experience in the dental field care to comment?

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
aha..thanks for the article DR...
Now I know where to blame it on.
Pretty lame study, I doubt it's investigated thoroughly.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So if the water hadn't been flouridated on army bases, my brother and I would have an IQ of 300.

I did look at the journal, actually. It publishes ONLY negative information about flouride, so it's not unbiased. The second issue I have is that there isn't a double-blind test done here.

I'm not convinced, here...but I'd be willing to look at more clinical evidence. I'd like to see some analysis of historical data... incidence of children who were born so retarded that they needed to become wards of the state, for instance.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Apart from the water having flouride in it (which I have grown up with) there's the food we eat as well!

Most of the food we eat nowadays has got some kind of chemical on it, you dont know that as you have always had it, but while still on farms etc everything gets sprayed with something (well over here, UK anyway) unless its Organic, then it doesnt taste right, because your use to the chemicals you've been eating for years.

And Organic food is alot more expensive as well, in most place's.

blackwidow

[Edited on 1-9-2003 by blackwidow666]

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I also looked at my toothpaste this morning and there's a lot more flouride in the toothpaste than there is in the water. So by that study (a single study, no followups, small sample size), American brain power should have dropped to just about zero now.

Do I think that too many chemicals CAN be bad for you? Yes. I'm concerned that water from our tap will kill fish from the pet store... we not only have to let it sit overnight (get rid of the chlorine) but we have to treat it with other things as well. HOWEVER... water that is untreated would be far worse for us.

There needs to be some balance and some reeducation going on to reduce chemical use in our environment. But it's not as simple as saying "stop the chemicals! because some of what's in there keeps you from getting sicker on other things in the water."

...and "fresh rainwater" ain't the answer, either. It's not all that pure.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Swingin free!

HOTT!

but on the subject, I may not be a supergenius, but I have an awesome smile! I don't ask much from the water supply.
1. don't give me nasty diseases
2. don't reek of chlorine or have crud floating in it
that's about it. I don't worry too much, because when I think about it, I've been exposed to all sorts of hideous stuff and came out okay. I grew up around chainsmokers, in a neighborhood full of lead paint, and played on treated wood that had been pumped full of arsenic. I made it out reasonably okay.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I grew up on well water until I went away to college. No wonder I think everybody else is stupid. ...especially when I drive.

Most of the time when I go back to visit my folks, I drink water constantly when I'm there because I really don't like the taste of treated water. We got a fridge that chills and filters last year which helped it some. I say flouride toothpaste does the job well enough. I once had a prfessor tell my Industrial Design class that every drop of water we drank on campus had already been through at least 3 other people. Gross, I brought my drinking water from home for over a year after that. Its been 180 feet underground for thousands of years.

Does anyone know when they put the flouride in the water? At what step of purifying is it done?

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
When I went backpacking, I had to purify my water with iodine. Floride is heaven compared to that because it is tasteless.
But anyway, Is that the only reason flouride is used, to promote healthy teeth? If so then I would like to get rid of it. Does anyone know of any other uses of flouride?

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Toilet paper can cause cancer. If thats the case then alot of us will be having problems with our butts in the future. Ahh some people have that problem now.

top topics

join