It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimps show hand preference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Wild chimpanzees can be left or right-handed just as humans are, researchers reported on Monday in a study that sheds light on the evolution of "handedness."

FULL STORY - www.cnn.com...

So if chimps can be left or right handed through nature and not learning, does this further prove a link between 'us and them' in the evolutionary theory?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hate to burst your bubble, but this is old news. I have known this for years, learnt it when watching a doc about the furry critters a few years ago. CNN are a tad slow!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Do you happen to remember what channel the documentary was on? I would love to be able to find a video archive of it. I am most fascinated by the link betwen man and chimp, and have never heard of this being proven. If you can think of which show had it just post it here and thanks in advance.

edit - some spelling errors - oops !

[edit on 16-8-2005 by 12 12 2012]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
"Hand" or paw preference isn't unknown in the animal kingdom... As everyone knows that most (all?) polar bears are "left-handed" (although I couldn't find a scientific page to support this?) ...
How do you figure that there is a "link" between us and chimps because of this to support the evolutionary theory? Especially keeping in mind that many animals have a hand preference?

And on that point a question for everyone: Why did most humans end up being right-handed? What would be the evolutionary benefit of being right-handed?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I cant remember the name of the doc, but it was on Aniimal Planet, it will probably be repeated.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
And on that point a question for everyone: Why did most humans end up being right-handed? What would be the evolutionary benefit of being right-handed?

Maybe we started cleaning our behinds with the left...LOL. Joking....but maybe.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
well it would appear this thread has died a slow horrible death!

top topics

join