It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Of Emergency Declared In Sri Lanka

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Sri Lanka has declared a State of Emergency after their Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar was assassinated. Tamil Tiger rebels is suspected of gunning down the FM.

BBC: Top Sri Lankan minister shot dead

CNN: Sri Lanka's foreign minister gunned down

There is a great danger of a civil war breaking out again there...

Country profile: Sri Lanka (BBC)

[edit on 2006/4/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I don't see where the state of emergency was proclaimed in the articles, but I do believe one will be eventuallyl. This was one (rather important) man and so far no further incidents having arrised. They have been in a cease fire for 3 years, but I think it is safe to say backlash will be eminent. But civil war?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
I don't see where the state of emergency was proclaimed in the articles

You are right, it wasn`t in those articles. I expected them to update them eventually. They said on tv (CNN) that they had declared State of Emergency. They announced it as Breaking News. There might be articles out there now confirming this, but I´m too busy to look for them just now. It is a quite serious situation, I believe...

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The murder was blamed by a senior police officer on the separatist Tamil Tigers, who have been observing a ceasefire since 2002

I love these government level crimes, they work so differently from normal crimes.

In high level crime, the police or government are the ones who tell you who did it instead of being the ones who try and find out who did it.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The Sri Lankan president held her first speech on tv since the FM was assassinated. She holds the Tamil Tigers responsible.

BBC: Sri Lanka leader 'to seek peace

The Sri Lankan president has vowed to redouble efforts to reach a peace deal in the first TV speech since a minister was shot dead.

Chandra Kumaratunga also said she held the Tamil Tigers responsible for the murder of Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar, despite their denials.

"We can't let terror and hatred overcome us. As long as the ethnic problem remains unresolved, violence and terror will always be with us," she said.

"It is unacceptable that a group that talks endlessly about being committed to a cease-fire should so blatantly violate it," she added.

The killing of the minister, who led a campaign to have the Tamil Tigers outlawed in other countries, will, it is feared, create a major hurdle along the already difficult peace process.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

join