It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. report warns of China sub threat

page: 1

join
share:
VDS

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Here is an article from news.yahoo.com...

The Chinese Dragon has awoken and ready to pounce, under the leadership of the CCP theres no stopping the Chinese military threat. I suppose all nations have their turn as the super power of their day, it will be Chinas turn next, unfortunately for the U.S theres only room for one.

I think China's submarines give them a huge advantage due to numbers alone. Any major war with the U.S will mean their nuclear missile armed Subs will hover around the U.S coast ready to rain down a volley of nuclear missiles.

Little noticed by the public, a just-released Pentagon report to Congress carries a strong warning that China's rapidly expanding and improving submarine fleet poses a mounting military threat to the United States

As the Pentagon report, delivered to Congress last month, says, the new Chinese navy is a force designed mostly to prevent or dissuade the U.S. from intervening in a conflict between China and Taiwan. But it also is giving China the capability of menacing Japan and striking U.S. cities with submarine-launched nuclear missiles from far out in the Pacific.

"China is in the midst of perhaps the largest military buildup the world has witnessed since the end of the Cold War," Richard Fisher, vice president of Washington's International Assessment and Strategy Center, a national security think tank, said at a recent hearing of the House Armed Services Committee.

Experts predict that China's submarine fleet will substantially outnumber that of the U.S. within the next 15 years

China appears to be strengthening all branches of its military--improving training and weaponry for its huge army, increasing its short- and long-range ballistic missiles, adding new aircraft and precision munitions to its air force and developing unmanned aircraft, the report said.

But submarines have become a high priority. China has about 64 surface warships in its navy and 55 or more attack submarines, designed for use against enemy surface ships and submarines as well as ground targets.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
How do you suppose all nations need to turn to the US?
There are quite a few naval powrs out there BTW.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This sounds like old news to me..

Yeah most news sites seems recycle news articles to make it look new most of the time.

I have seen an article similar to this a couple of weeks ago on washington post.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I think China's submarines give them a huge advantage due to numbers alone. Any major war with the U.S will mean their nuclear missile armed Subs will hover around the U.S coast ready to rain down a volley of nuclear missiles.

I don't know if China's old and loud submarines give them any kind of real advantage. I'm sure we could hunt them down from sea and air before they ever reach our coasts. We have the advantage in technology, superior aircraft and larger amount of them, missile technology, aircraft carriers (China has none), battleships, and so on. The only advantage China has is the size of its army, but they're nowhere near capable of getting them all here for anykind of respectable ground invasion.

Granted, if we ever tried to invade China we'd probably have our butts kicked. But that goes for China invading the US as well. And lets not forget how many more nukes we have than China. Although, in the end of a nuclear exchange the entire world would be the losers (including us and China).

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VDS
Any major war with the U.S will mean their nuclear missile armed Subs will hover around the U.S coast ready to rain down a volley of nuclear missiles.

- Er, you do realise there is a huge difference between the (at least two or three generations old, not to mention noisey) "attack subs" the report mentions and ballistic missile subs able to "rain down" the "volley of nuclear missiles" you fantasize about, hmmm?

......almost as scary as their airforce and it's 'maybe a little bit more advanced than an F16' J10 planes they're introducing. Jayzuss wept. Have these military sales guys no shame?

"China is in the midst of perhaps the largest military buildup the world has witnessed since the end of the Cold War," Richard Fisher, vice president of Washington's International Assessment and Strategy Center, a national security think tank, said at a recent hearing of the House Armed Services Committee.

- Ha ha ha ha ha; that's quite funny really.
The largest military build-up since the end of the cold war?!

Compared to what?!

If I spent $100million and now spend $200million that's a, wow, 100% increase in spending! Scary, huh?
Aren't % games fun!?

Anyone with half a brain looking at the amounts the US spends versus the amount China is spending (and most importantly understands the slightest thing about the 'base' from which each starts from) can see what a crock this nonsense is.
.......woooo woooooo China, scary China, spend more on your military sheeple! You need to!

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The Chinese sub fleet will be 3 times the size of ours in the next 2 decades. They aren't trying to invade the US the sub fleet is being stood up to deny the US fleet the Taiwan strait and surrounding areas in the event of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan; which unfortunately is a distinct possibility.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by VDS
Any major war with the U.S will mean their nuclear missile armed Subs will hover around the U.S coast ready to rain down a volley of nuclear missiles.

- Er, you do realise there is a huge difference between the (at least two or three generations old, not to mention noisey) "attack subs" the report mentions and ballistic missile subs able to "rain down" the "volley of nuclear missiles" you fantasize about, hmmm?

......almost as scary as their airforce and it's 'maybe a little bit more advanced than an F16' J10 planes they're introducing. Jayzuss wept. Have these military sales guys no shame?

- Ha ha ha ha ha; that's quite funny really.
The largest military build-up since the end of the cold war?!

Compared to what?!

If I spent $100million and now spend $200million that's a, wow, 100% increase in spending! Scary, huh?
Aren't % games fun!?

Anyone with half a brain looking at the amounts the US spends versus the amount China is spending (and most importantly understands the slightest thing about the 'base' from which each starts from) can see what a crock this nonsense is.
.......woooo woooooo China, scary China, spend more on your military sheeple! You need to!

It isn't often we agree Sminkey, but I must concur. China is not a threat to the US now, nor will they be in the near future. Much like their airforce, there sub force is large but pathetically outdated and obsolete.

However, where I must differ Sminkey is that we SHOULD try to FURTHER the gap between our militaries. Keep the gap growing. When you are far ahead, get farther ahead. Thats the way to keep power.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Is it just me, or is the Americans releasing a report about how "Dangerous" china is like every mounth???
It gets kinda irritating, we all know chinas a growing power, wether thats a good or bad thing, Im yet to decide.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonesey_dude
Is it just me, or is the Americans releasing a report about how "Dangerous" china is like every mounth???
It gets kinda irritating, we all know chinas a growing power, wether thats a good or bad thing, Im yet to decide.

The reason it is said so much is because China doesn't admit it is building up it's offensive capability.

They always claim to have a defensive force, but most of the things they have been doing are offensive oriented.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonesey_dude

Hmm, lets think about that.

They have repeatedly said that they will not tolerate a independent Taiwan. Now they are building up a force that is capable of blockading Taiwan, while at that same time transport a sizable force to seize the island.

Yeah, China arming itself is a great thing.

top topics

join