It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does this sound like an abduction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I wasnt too sure about where to post this...but my parents are from an island called Western Samoa..I on the other hand was born in New Zealand.
I heard an old wifes tale/myth/urban legend about moonlight.

Now what Ive been told goes like this.

At night, they draw their curtains so no form of light is showing.
As joke I pulled them open and proceeded to pretend to sleep...but they (extended family) didnt think it too funny.
I asked why they were so weird about the curtains being open!?
They said they didnt want moonlight shining on their face.
I said "so what?"

They began to tell me that they heard stories from elders about moonlight shining on your face, and how its not a good thing.
Apparently they were saying that alot of people have said that at night when the moonlight is on their face, they wake up paralysed.
Then they see a ghost...but as they go to scream they cant...even in a room full of people..they open their mouths and nothing comes out.

Now what I want to know is...if anyone thinks that this sounds similar to an abduction?

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
My guess would be sleep paralysis not abduction. I have never heard of the moonlight connection with sleep paralysis. I think plenty of people experience sleep paralysis without moonlight.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The reason Im thinking along the lines of maybe abduction is...these people live on an island and they can only give the most simplist explanation.
Like I assume they say moon because they wouldnt know how to describe a bright light coming from outside as....does that make sense?
What I mean is they would associate any light from outside as coming from either the sun (during the day) or the moon (at night). :bnghd:

But thanks for your input babe

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I would say sleep par as well. But as you said too living on an island and being what most would call "simple folk" they tend to define things in the most relative terms. Bright light coming in could be the moon or it could be the fabled bright light a lot of abduction victims claim to see. The ghost could be an alien. The whole not being able to scream or alert someone in the same room also jives with what people who have been abducted claim as well. Could they give you anymore information?

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well I got two answers. In these old stories there are some truth to it...So perhaps some kind of being does visit them. Since these were elders right? Perhaps that would be some sort of connection in it's self. Usually ET whether good or bad will abduct or visit a human being with some type valueable attribute or quality-whether social, mental, or physical. You know something unusual from what they've seen before. Don't quote me on this though just an idea.

Another thing would be perhaps it could be some type of fungus or flower that only releases spores or blooms when the moon is shining, perhaps with the curtains open it allows a larger number of pollen/spore particles to be inhaled (yes some can go through windows) can cause some sort or reaction such as: paralysis and hallucination. And yes some chemicals can imprint the same hallucination and the same effects onto people. For instance its like poison, usually has the same affect on most of the subect population. I also think I have heard of flowers blooming only during moonlight but I am not sure.

Those could be something to look at. Good Luck

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, I remember as a kid often being very afraid and unable to scream exactly as explained.

There might be more to this.

In Japan something similar happens, a person suffers from sleep paralysis and sees a ghost, they have a name for it as well.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I dont believe in the sleep paralysis idea. How can thousands of people have the same waking dream? There is no way that is possible. To me it sounds like an abduction story.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stari
I dont believe in the sleep paralysis idea. How can thousands of people have the same waking dream? There is no way that is possible. To me it sounds like an abduction story.

Maybe a common symptom of sleep paralysis is dreaming of being in a 'horror' situation. For some people that may be aliens (pop culture), for others demons, ghosts, monsters etc.

You need to be careful not to jump straight away to the abduction solution. Perhaps there are other psychological conditions with similar effects.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyboy211
Perhaps there are other psychological conditions with similar effects.

So you believe that there is a condition that allows thousands of people to see the same things, (bright lights, aliens, floating in air, going through ceilings, laying on metal tables, medical tools). This seems highly improbable. Maybe seeing different things.. not everyone is scared of aliens perhaps if some people saw what they feared most.. but they all claim seeing the same alien.

top topics

join