It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Tolerance Survives Bombings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
UK majority back multiculturalism

The majority of British people think multiculturalism makes the country a better place, a BBC poll suggests.

news.bbc.co.uk... includes link to full results

Us 1 Terrorists 0!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The problem is that these polls are not really accurate. It depends on who you question on which way it swings, anything from age, race, location, etc.

In my town we have a lot of Muslims now and my job entails meeting a lot of local people of all ages and backgrounds, both male and female.

I sadly do not know a single one that has had anything good to say about multicultural integration and plenty of bad things. I've heard 'sweet old ladies' saying they were going to vote for the BNP even!

If I had done the same survey where we live it would have been a different story sadly, the problem is that whoever conducts these formal surveys tends to carry them out on the people that they think will best represent the result they wish to achieve.

Don't forget this survey was only conducted over a group of 1004 people, when conducted in a country of about 60,000,000 it is hardly a good representation.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Before we get too carried away with the notion of this supposed undercurrent of rascism apparantly, according to some, just waiting to break we should perhaps tune in to reality a tad.

Even when they tried to exploit the London bombings in a part of London not exactly known for it's excellent race relations (Dagenham & Barking), where there were disturbances following the movement of Bosnian Muslims into the area during the Bosian war (many of whom have now returned home) , and where they even attempted to (ab)use the horror of the recent 7/7 attacks the BNP go nowhere......and in fact they lost their only London council seat.

You might find some a bit free with the fascist tendancies but to try and paint that as anything like representitive is a far cry from the reality IMO.......and as the dismal showing of the far-right political groups in the UK show time after time.

The British National Party, which used images of the bombed London bus on a leaflet, has failed to gain a council seat at a by-election.
Labour held the Becontree seat in the east London borough of Barking and Dagenham with a majority of nearly 800.

The BNP used a photograph of the bus with the caption, "maybe it's time to start listening to the BNP" .

In another by-election in the borough last month the BNP lost its only council representation in London.

The winning candidate, Alok Agrawal, said after the result: "It was very sad using a national tragedy in order to try and gain votes."

'Massively rejected'

"They thought people were fools. They thought people would fall into a trap.

"But the voters have massively rejected them. They have told the BNP 'We don't want you in Barking and Dagenham'."

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 10-8-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
1,000+ respondents is significant, statistically, against UK pop - standard research methodology.

It's a MORI poll so will be as good as any other.

It's ever only a snapshot but it's an encouraging one.

top topics

join