It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why 'Non-Drivers' Should Care About Oil Prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Alot of people have said to me lately, "Why should i care about oil prices when i dont own a car"?

It makes me laugh to think that some people believe the rise in oil will only effect drivers.

Just incase there are any members here that think along those lines, i have decided to post the following news article from BBC News.....

I Dont Drive; Why Should I Care About Oil Prices?

"If you take buses, trains or planes, you will be paying more for your fare. And our shops are filled with plastics, which are oil-based products," says Roy Holloway, the director of the Petrol Retailers' Association. "When producing - and delivering - these household goods gets more expensive, consumers will bear the brunt."

With wholesale gas prices increasing, supply companies such as Powergen and British Gas are among those forecasting bigger bills for consumers. Powergen is putting up its gas prices by 11.9% and electricity by 7.2%; British Gas has warned of a 15% rise in the year ahead.

Mic

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Correct, though I guess they needn't worry about it as much, but yet should still care.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I live in New York City and don't own a car, so it's true it doesn't affect you as much, but I do think electricity costs are rising. NYC gets most of its power from oil and natural gas, with only about 20% from nuclear -- so it does matter to everyone here.

join